Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#164750 - 01/23/09 11:08 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: MartinFocazio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
... for example, I routinely grab a whole copy of Wikipedia.org and I have about 200 Megabytes of eBooks of all kinds ...

Holy ----, you can store the WHOLE of Wikipedia? Okay, this is OT, but how the heck do you do that? I like the idea of offline resources. As long as the sun keeps shining, I can power and maintain a couple of laptops for years.

New topic perhaps?

#164756 - 01/23/09 11:21 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: dougwalkabout]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wikipedia has a dvd download menu someplace, I saw it someplace.

#164760 - 01/23/09 11:48 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
First of all, I'd like to clarify that I've been a proponent of AA cells - for EVERYTHING - for a long time, and have worked very hard to get the stuff I consider important for emergency preparedness to run on AA - and only AA cells. All lighting is LED/AA based, for example, as are the emergency radio receivers. However, my point in the stock of extra batteries was based in part on experiences we had down along the delaware river during the floods of 2004, 2005 and 2006. Although a relatively short-term situation, there were logistical challenges with resupply due to the river bridges being closed, and much to my surprise, we ran into a few situations where various devices - like garage door openers - went dead and there was nowhere to get replacement batteries.

Thats basically what I said, important things all are ran from AA's. I consider garage door openers to be less important since I can easily open them by hand. anything like that I buy one spare and keep it someplace and if the battery in the remote goes dead then I swap the fresh one in and buy another spare sometime when I get a chance. I've had garage door opener batteries last for years so they don't really need a large stock. Your computers will still work without the battery, you just might have to reset a couple settings each time.

#164771 - 01/24/09 12:18 AM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: 7point82]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like my thumbdrive cases for batteries from Case Logic. Three pockets per side, each one holds two CR123s, 3 AAs, 4 AAAs, or a bunch of properly packed button and coin cells. And there is enough room to put in a cut down paint ball tube to hold two more 123s at the top with cotton between them, or a TONNE of button cells if they'll fit.

The middle one.

They are like 5-6 bucks at Wally World, more elsewhere.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#164778 - 01/24/09 12:48 AM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: Be_Prepared]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I used the plastic cartridge holders for 7mm Mauser to hold AA batteries. Maybe a smaller caliber holder would work for AAAs. It worked OK. YMMV.

#164789 - 01/24/09 01:58 AM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: MoBOB]
elgecko Offline
Stranger

Loc: SE PA
Hi everyone.
Been around reading all the great info on the site and forums for a while now. Signed up a few days ago and thought I’d make a post.
I did not see it mentioned in the thread, but thought I’d give some experience on AA rechargeable batteries.
I have used AA NiMH for many years. The problem with them is that they lose their charge just sitting there doing nothing. Place a set in a digital camera and 3 weeks later when you go to use the camera, they are dead. Good thing for those 15 minute chargers….
A few months ago I read about a hybrid NiMH battery called Eneloop. They claim that the battery will still retain 85% of its charge after 1 year in storage. When you buy them they already contain a charge.
I decided to buy a 4 pack of them to see how they compared to the current rechargeable I use. Wow what a difference. I can go well over 2 months in the camera with light use with these batteries and still have plenty of charge. I do not change them in the GPS anywhere as quick as with the old rechargeable batteries. They work great in the Fenix L1D, etc, etc.
I now have around 16-20 of these batteries and love them. Whenever something with regular AA batteries in it dies, I throw in some Eneloops.
All the old NiMH batteries were given away.
I highly recommend the Eneloops.

#164855 - 01/24/09 08:46 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: elgecko]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: elgecko
Hi everyone.
Been around reading all the great info on the site and forums for a while now. Signed up a few days ago and thought I’d make a post.
I did not see it mentioned in the thread, but thought I’d give some experience on AA rechargeable batteries.
I have used AA NiMH for many years. The problem with them is that they lose their charge just sitting there doing nothing. Place a set in a digital camera and 3 weeks later when you go to use the camera, they are dead. Good thing for those 15 minute chargers….
A few months ago I read about a hybrid NiMH battery called Eneloop. They claim that the battery will still retain 85% of its charge after 1 year in storage. When you buy them they already contain a charge.
I decided to buy a 4 pack of them to see how they compared to the current rechargeable I use. Wow what a difference. I can go well over 2 months in the camera with light use with these batteries and still have plenty of charge. I do not change them in the GPS anywhere as quick as with the old rechargeable batteries. They work great in the Fenix L1D, etc, etc.
I now have around 16-20 of these batteries and love them. Whenever something with regular AA batteries in it dies, I throw in some Eneloops.
All the old NiMH batteries were given away.
I highly recommend the Eneloops.

Ok, first off eneloops are not hybrid, there is nothing hybird about them, thats just a marketing name made up by rayovac for their eneloop equivalent. You have to be careful with the names, for example my MIL went in to a PC store to buy a memory stick and came out with that sony crap instead of the USB flash drive she wanted.
Second get rid of those 15 minute chargers and don't recommend them, they charge 4x as fast as what any NiMH battery is supposed to be charged and the end result is your batteries that should last 500-1000 cycles end up lasting only 50. And thats if they last that long, many people report their batteries charged that fast like to die in the charger or at random during use. It would be a bad thing to be in the woods using your GPS and have its batteries die due to the bad chargers.

#164856 - 01/24/09 09:01 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: Eugene]
elgecko Offline
Stranger

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Ok, first off eneloops are not hybrid, there is nothing hybird about them, thats just a marketing name made up by rayovac for their eneloop equivalent. You have to be careful with the names, for example my MIL went in to a PC store to buy a memory stick and came out with that sony crap instead of the USB flash drive she wanted.
Second get rid of those 15 minute chargers and don't recommend them, they charge 4x as fast as what any NiMH battery is supposed to be charged and the end result is your batteries that should last 500-1000 cycles end up lasting only 50. And thats if they last that long, many people report their batteries charged that fast like to die in the charger or at random during use. It would be a bad thing to be in the woods using your GPS and have its batteries die due to the bad chargers.

True the Eneloop say nothing about being hybrids, I did take that from the Rayovac batteries.
The 15 minute charger was given away when I got rid of all the old NiMH batteries. I bought a nice La Crosse Technology BC-700 charger when I updated the batteries to all Eneloop.

#164860 - 01/24/09 09:56 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: elgecko]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I try to point that out, because people may look for 'hybrid' batteries and think rayovac is the only game in town and long term I haven't had good results from rayovac. I kept all my old NiMH for kid toys and the rayovac are not holding up nearly as well as sanyo batteries, add to that the whole rip of that was their renewal (which did work decent enough for me since i followed their directions, it was when my last charger died and I found out they stopped selling chargers that I had to throw out a lot of the batteries), to their alkaline batteries leaking in things that I've been steering people away from them now. Oh and their PS4 NiMH charger which turned out to only charge to 75% so I thought all my batteries were going bad after a couple years. Wasted $30 on that charger, I should have known that if it was sold it walmart it was crap. So I've been burned about 4 times by that company now if you only count types and not instances.

#164875 - 01/24/09 11:31 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Are you sure you bought NiCad's. Those are kind of rare anymore. Are you sure they are not NiMH.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.