The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164472 - 01/22/09 07:27 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: Stoney]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If they were smart, they'd replace the hotlink to the image with a link to their main website. Not a link to this "Oh no, you shouldn't have done that!" message. They have a right to protect their bandwidth usage. But doing it in this manner is a turn-off to potential customers. Myself included. Just turn hotlinks into links to the main website, it's very easy to do.

#164481 - 01/22/09 07:51 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: haertig]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Well it looks like they fixed the link. The image in the OP's post now shows the proper product.

Well I guess I spoke too soon, the image is back to the original...

Edited by Sherpadog (01/22/09 07:58 PM)
Edit Reason: image changed again.

#164484 - 01/22/09 08:05 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
You do realize this probably means someone at tops that should be working is surfing the ETS site instead.....

RIP OBG

#164498 - 01/22/09 08:30 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: ]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
The warning message costs them bandwidth too. Judging from the comments here, it costs them customers too.

They should embed their website link into the picture and write off the excess bandwidth to advertising.

If I were a retailer selling survival gear, I would be delighted to have a product linked to this forum by a happy customer. If I was the owner of Tops, I would be mortified by what is happening on this thread.

This is an example of Penny Wise, Pound Foolish.

#164499 - 01/22/09 08:32 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Wow, sorry everyone; I didn't realize the hotlink would be a problem, I just wanted to showcase what I thought was an interesting idea. I've removed the hotlink to the image, but it showed up just fine the whole time on my browser.

Anywho, like many gear items that fit in a pocket or on your neck this mirror wouldn't be my first choice if I had to choose just one, but if it works decently and is always on my person then I think it would be OK. I put one of the Adventure Medical Kits signal mirrors in my wallet and it was way too thick.

#164509 - 01/22/09 09:07 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

Anywho, like many gear items that fit in a pocket or on your neck this mirror wouldn't be my first choice if I had to choose just one, but if it works decently and is always on my person then I think it would be OK. I put one of the Adventure Medical Kits signal mirrors in my wallet and it was way too thick.

Oh, I understand the too thick part about the mirrors quite well.
The ones I have are definitely pack carry items, not wallet or pocket.
I even hesitate about the glass ones when I weigh them against the Star Flash ones just because of the weight.

I would likely get two of these tag ones and see if I could signal between me and somebody else from a decent distance away.
If it works great, if not then why carry it.
Either way you are not out much by checking them out, and if they work you have a small piece of gear.

#164522 - 01/22/09 10:19 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: scafool]
Terrill Offline
Stranger

I was going to jump in here and give my great speech about copyrighted images. But then I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Since I am involved with TOPS, half of you would think that is my reasoning and not that I am a professional photographer. It is also common sense that some of you will love the TOPS products and some will not. My making a post in defense of them isn't going to change a thing. I will say that if you discount a companies product just because you can't an image off of their site, I'm not going to worry about it.
For those who are interested, the dog tag signal mirror is a nifty little item. I wish I could take credit for it but I didn't have a thing to do with it. A larger mirror will work better but for it's size it will surprise you. The idea is to always have one with you and if it is around your neck the chances of you leaving it behind are slim. The only testing I have done was at about 100 yds. I wanted to take a photo of it shining and at that distance, it totally faked out the auto function on my camera. (I should have known better than to shoot anything on auto)

#164528 - 01/22/09 11:11 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: Terrill]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Terrill
I was going to jump in here and give my great speech about copyrighted images. But then I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Since I am involved with TOPS, half of you would think that is my reasoning and not that I am a professional photographer. It is also common sense that some of you will love the TOPS products and some will not. My making a post in defense of them isn't going to change a thing. I will say that if you discount a companies product just because you can't an image off of their site, I'm not going to worry about it.
For those who are interested, the dog tag signal mirror is a nifty little item. I wish I could take credit for it but I didn't have a thing to do with it. A larger mirror will work better but for it's size it will surprise you. The idea is to always have one with you and if it is around your neck the chances of you leaving it behind are slim. The only testing I have done was at about 100 yds. I wanted to take a photo of it shining and at that distance, it totally faked out the auto function on my camera. (I should have known better than to shoot anything on auto)

Hi Terrill, and thanks for the update.

I wasn't really bothered by it. How you do things is up to you. What happened here was a fair use of the image by one of us got blocked because of other people who have abused access to your images.

I am still wondering a bit why you guys do not Put a link to Your pages on the image which you do post (your logo) that warns about the blocked image being a hot link?

After reading your company's answer to Big Daddy TX I think I see a possible reason in that you don't want a link on a cheap hijacker's page at all.
If that is a correct guess then you can hardly be blamed for that. I would likely do just the same now that the problem with Discounters has been explained and I have thought about it for a moment.

As noted, you didn't block the actual link to your page, just the image.

#164632 - 01/23/09 01:32 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: Terrill]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Terrill
. I wanted to take a photo of it shining and at that distance, it totally faked out the auto function on my camera. (I should have known better than to shoot anything on auto)

Sheesh, good thing for you I am a nice guy, you left a great opening there.
See you at PWYP in April
Stu

#164644 - 01/23/09 02:56 PM Re: mini signal mirror [Re: benjammin]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Sorry; I did a lousy job explaining what I was trying to say. Hotlinking is putting a tag into a web page (like the OP did) that causes an image to be displayed in your browser. The link in "hotlinking" is telling the website where to pull the image file from. In this case, it is not coming from the ETS webservers, nor the computer of the OP. It was coming directly from the tops website. Thus my comment on bandwidth. Also valid is the point in the email that tops sent on the matter, which is their image being used to bait-and-switch a knockoff product elsewhere.

Linking to their site, that is putting text or an image that links back to them, is quite OK and they like that stuff. When someone hotlinks an image, hosted on their server, on a website not under their control, they cannot create or change any clickable link to go to their site, or anywhere else. All they have the power to do is change the image (which is still being called by the outside website) to inform viewers that the image being posted is coming from their site. The admonishment is directed at the poster/webmaster that has inappropriately hotlinked their image; not at the viewer.

Sorry for the confusion, tech-speak, and long-windedness. I'm just trying to clarify the matter from an uninterested third-party perspective. And I'm still not sure if I've done it well... blush

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.