The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#164335 - 01/22/09 04:49 AM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Blast--i got four shots in the butt today..the LPN was someone i worked with for years over at the VA..no Paris Hilton but still a very nice young lady--we both tryed to be very professional about it--however..we both could see how funny it was..i said that it was just not the same as the flu shots the staff got every fall,that got a chuckle out of her..

#164338 - 01/22/09 04:55 AM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Did you at least bite the dog back?

Son #1 was playing with our German Shepherd. She put her mouth on his arm really gently to get him to start playing again. He decided to return the favor. German Shepherds are also know as German Shedders. He got a mouthful of fur and a gagging fit.

I thought it was funny.....

RIP OBG

#164358 - 01/22/09 12:57 PM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: Desperado]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I thought I had read somewhere recently that dog rabies was all but extinct? Not that the dog couldn't get bitten by another animal with rabies, but I wouldn't have worried about it too much. Getting bitten by a wild animal on the other hand would certainly have me worried.

#164363 - 01/22/09 01:15 PM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: el_diabl0]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
no it is not gone. If bitten by a rabid animal, you have less than 5 days to begin treatment, or to start selecting a casket. Once symptoms start there is no treatment that will prevent a really bad death. From what I understand, one really doesn't want to die in that manner.

RIP OBG

#164373 - 01/22/09 02:23 PM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
My first bad encounter with a dog happened at Grandma's house. A neighborhood dog, a big irish setter, had gotten loose and we encountered it in the woods behind the house. I guess he just wanted to play, but I was only 7 and my brother 5, and so when he came at us we freaked. He ran us down and knocked my brother down. I went to shoo him off and swung at him (feeble 7 year old swing). My brother is screaming and trying to escape, I am screaming and trying to get the dog off him, so the dog decides to bite me in the arm. He gets a mouthful of my coat, and clamped onto my arm underneath. I freaked some more, and started a tug of war match with him, which is apparently just what he wanted was someone to play with. My brother got off the ground and took off for the house, at which point the dog released me, chased him down, and tried to get him to "play". This went on with the two of us taking turns entertaining the dog all the way back to Grandma's porch. At this point, dad came out, saw that we were playing with the neighbor's dog, and yelled at us to quit making such a ruckus and leave the dog alone. At this point, survival instincts and a fury at dad's nonchalance apparently kicked in, and with a mighty tug I managed to rip my coat sleeve where the dog had hold of me enough to reach the nearest rock and start beating the dog's nose with it. Once he let go of me (my brother had managed to escape into the house), I threw it at him as hard as I could. It missed him by a mile, but he saw it go sailing by and decided it was time to play fetch, so as he ran to get the rock, I took off into the house myself. He hung around for a while as we watched him out the window, then finally took off. We headed for the beach instead of the woods, opposite the direction he was heading, making sure we each had a rock and a stick with us.

We never saw the dog again after that. I reckon he got snatched by someone, because even though he terrified us to no end, he was a beautiful setter. Either that or traffic got him. In any case, I had my first lesson in doggie behavior, and what kind of an a**hole my stepdad could be at times. Thank God he was only trying to play with us. Had he been vicious, at least one of us wouldn't have made it back to grandma's house. While I respect dogs and their abilities, I quit fearing them long ago.

#164415 - 01/22/09 05:19 PM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: benjammin]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Thanks for the replies regarding the shots!

#164725 - 01/23/09 09:23 PM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well, at least the shots aren't in the tummy anymore!

My ex once let a strange dog bite her, dog went to the pound for ten days, and we got stuck with the bill, since she was stupid enough to stick her arm thru a fence into the dogs home territory.

Side note, if you are ever bitten by a critter, no humans around it, and you decide to shoot it in order to take it in for testing, do not shoot it in the head, they need the brain for testing. Or so I have been told...

#164732 - 01/23/09 09:55 PM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Yep, they want the brain. Must be zombies doing the testing... wink

#164752 - 01/23/09 11:13 PM Re: About My Rabies Shots!!!!! [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Except golden retrievers. They're okay. It's probably a gross over-generalization, but I've never met one that was anything worse than indifferent. (awaits horrible my child was mangled by a golden retriever story)

I love retievers, both Goldens and Labs and even the cross-bred Doods (with poodles). I've been around and had them, but even that is an over generalization.

My sister sent home a refugee from college in the mid-80s, mutt but mostly Golden. The only recognizable breed in her was Golden, right coloring and the hair amounts were textbook Golden. Very nice sweet dog, until it cmae to children. She was deathly afraid of children. Never bit one, but that's because we did not let kids get close. When a child approached her, she sat with her talk tucked under her, chin up and yelped in warning. She was good enough that she did not want to hurt anyone, but she was also very afraid of kids, and I'd never want to push her.

Good luck dealing with the shots CanoeDogs.

Edited by Dan_McI (01/23/09 11:13 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.