Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163739 - 01/18/09 09:36 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Tom_L]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Tom_L

So a few days ago an old family friend gave me a present, an old "deactivated" Mills hand grenade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_bomb

It was all rusty, the detonator removed by an "expert" who knows how long ago.

Tom, Glad it didn't go off. Lesson #1 never ever ever trust what someone tells you regarding munitions or firearms. Way too many have been killed by deactivated explosives or unloaded firearms.
Stu

#163747 - 01/18/09 09:58 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Tom_L]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Tom, does this person owe you money?

You got lucky. I'd need more than a sip of cognac.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#163754 - 01/18/09 10:25 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: ironraven]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Happy Birthday!!--i hope you have lots-lots-lots more..

#163763 - 01/18/09 11:56 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, at least you have a dinner party anecdote that no-one can top. Happy many-more birthdays!

Always trust your spidey-sense. If something 'feels' wrong, it quite often is.

#163765 - 01/19/09 12:07 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: dougwalkabout]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
You were |-| this close to being a Darwin award! Hmm... now, does posession of that much high explosive make you a "person of interest" to the government?

#163766 - 01/19/09 12:10 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Tom_L]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Sounds like clean shorts were in order. One of my soldiers brought me a dummy TOW rocket warhead. Carried it up to my HMMWV, whereupon I informed him it was a 4.2 inch mortar round UXO. I then helped him to calm down while waiting for EOD to show up.

About a week later we were driving down an EOD "cleared" road thru an artillery impact zone. Got out to answer nature's call and discovered I was "watering" a UXO 8 inch artillery round. That was the day clean boxers almost became EDC. EOD said I was lucky. Fuse was already removed, but the filler was decomposing and leaking out. I guess it decomp's to something close to nitroglycerin. EOD tech said that was one burning feeling while uriniating that penicillian would not have fixed.

Edited by Desperado (01/19/09 12:19 AM)

RIP OBG

#163769 - 01/19/09 12:21 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Desperado

About a week later we were driving down an EOD "cleared" road thru an artillery impact zone. Got out to answer nature's call and discovered I was "watering" a UXO 8 inch artillery round. That was the day clean boxers almost became EDC. EOD said I was lucky. Fuse was already removed, but the filler was decomposing and leaking out. I guess it decomp's to something close to nitroglycerin. EOD tech said that was one burning feeling while uriniating that penicillian would not have fixed.

My dad had a similar experience about 25 years ago. Was going through a firing range, stumbled upon an UXO 500-lbs bomb. Anyway, EOD made them keep back 1/2 mile when it went off. And then my dad had some of the shrapnel in the house for a few years, until mom worried that my brother or I would cut ourselves on it. Probably had a valid point.

#163773 - 01/19/09 12:48 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Johno]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
When I was in grad school back in the '80's I got a job at the local county museum - it helped being a history major and willing to work weekends! They had me cleaning out the basement and some old storage which included a box of stuff from a local that was from WWII. Neat photos, uniforms, some small arms and...

You guessed it - there were some old artillery shells in a big box and they were all fused and at least 35 years old. We closed early that day... I got a friend from the local guard unit with EOD training and some cops he knew in town that had EOD backgrounds to get the stuff out. They took it to the dump and blew the box which went up very well. Our guess is it would have taken out most of the block had it ever gone off in the museum basement.

The boss reimbursed me for the drinks I bought one and all that night for 'helping' out and he never did tell the county board and I had a great easy job the rest of grad school!

Paul -

#163814 - 01/19/09 06:29 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: pforeman]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

LOL yeah, that Bugs Bunny episode sums it up pretty well. "These blockbuster bombs don't blow up unless you hit them just right." whistle

It's all just an amusing story now and I actually got a good laugh reading all the responses and personal anecdotes. I guess nobody is immune to at least an occasional lapse of judgement. smile

Technically, the situation may not have been THAT critical. I don't know much about Baratol but TNT is very insensitive to shock and friction and basically a pain to detonate. I think it only ignites at something like 780°F if my old manual was right. Of course, that does not make me any less of an idiot!

The bottom line is, I'm really mad at myself. I should've known better. I've always been very careful around firearms and explosives but this time, I made a big mistake. I assumed the grenade was empty and I assumed the previous owner had made sure it was deactivated. Never again!

#163945 - 01/20/09 04:52 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: NightHiker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A bit belated, but Happy Birthday!

Had a not so different, but somewhat less hazardous thing like this myself. Very glad I will never have to explain how I removed a finger through pure stupidity while changing blades on a circular saw.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.