Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#161986 - 01/08/09 09:45 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: JohnE]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for completing the list, I couldn't remember the last few tools they mentioned. I don't even remember which magazine I read it in, it's not one I normally subscribe to but the cover page caught my eye enough to read that article.

There were a few items that I thought were somewhat unnecessary, but maybe it's probably because i'm thinking about it in a different context than the magazine. I think I've got a plumb bob somewhere, but I don't think I've ever used it in my life, and if I ever needed one, it's probably faster for me to just find a piece of string and weight than look for it. Maybe I just haven't worked on the project that required it. Also, I've never used a pocket socket wrench, but for a home toolbox I can't see why I'd want one over a regular adjustable wrench. For most people, a tape measure is a lot more useful than a 6" steel rule.

There are a lot of tools that could be on this list, I was just thinking about the most basic tools that people should keep around the house for even the simplest home emergency. My list could go on for 3-4 pages of recommended tools. Right now, probably my most often used tool is a 4 1/2" grinder (actually 2 of them, they like to be in pairs). They are indispensible for the type of stuff I like to do, but I can't imagine the average homeowner getting much use out of it. Same with chisels, I love mine, but I can't imagine people thikning, "I absolutely need a chisel right now!". I guess it would depend on the type of house you live in.

A toilet plunger, that should definitely be on the list. I would hope at least every home had one of those. I'd much rather grab the plunger than the auger to clear a plugged toilet. It might not work as well, but the snake is a last resort on a clogged toilet for obvious reasons wink

#161989 - 01/08/09 09:49 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
and of course, some duct tape...;^)

The article in question was in Workbench magazine, an occasionally useful monthly. The same issue also has some plans in it for a nice little service type cart that I'm thinking of building for working on the cars and motorcycle with.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#161992 - 01/08/09 10:02 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
A toilet plunger, that should definitely be on the list. I would hope at least every home had one of those. I'd much rather grab the plunger than the auger to clear a plugged toilet. It might not work as well, but the snake is a last resort on a clogged toilet for obvious reasons

A plunger doesn't cut it when a 2-yr. old gets bored...
She flushed even washcloth in the linen closet.cry

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#161993 - 01/08/09 10:02 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: JohnE]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

How could I forget the duct tape? It's just one of those things that I take for granted and assume everyone has rolls of the stuff laying about in every room.

I saw those plans for that service cart, it did look interesting. Right now, I'm using these wheeled trays that I got for free. I think they were from a hair salon to hold the stylists clippers and stuff? I dunno, but someone was getting rid of it, I can't turn down free stuff. I picked them up not knowing what I would need them for, it turns out they're the perfect height to hold tools when working on cars.

#161995 - 01/08/09 10:03 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Blast]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Blast

A plunger doesn't cut it when a 2-yr. old gets bored...
She flushed even washcloth in the linen closet.cry

-Blast

We're obviously working on different types of obstructions laugh

#161997 - 01/08/09 10:13 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
You guys are way off! You only need 2 tools. WD-40 and duct tape.

If it should move and is doesn't - use WD-40

If it does move and it shouldn't - use duct tape.

grin

#161999 - 01/08/09 10:28 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
10) Small Soldering iron - a lot of home repairs are just loose wires or bad connections

Actually, I would assert that an assortment of wire nuts would be more useful. Everything I have ever fixed as far as home wiring that I can remember has all used wire nuts to connect the wires together.

#162002 - 01/08/09 11:03 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I thought about it and I would suggest a bit of rebar tie wire (or hay baler wire, same stuff).
You don't need a whole roll of it but a few feet of it might be handy.

You can find it at almost any construction site, just ask and an ironworker will gladly give the last hundred or so feet of the roll he has on his belt. He was just about to change it for a new roll anyhow.

It holds cars together and it fixes broken chairs.
It is the crazy glue of the mechanical world.

It is a haywire world and you need to have some haywire to deal with it!

#162041 - 01/09/09 02:32 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Blast]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

The Stanley FatMax Functional Utility Bar was on my gift list but no joy:
[url=http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-119][/url]

Maybe next year. It will definitely be in my go bag.

#162050 - 01/09/09 03:45 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Blast]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem! (spoken by a guy with every GM factory certification except automatic transmission repair and roughly $30,000.00 in tools) The stuff mentioned so far is great but I have to admit the thing I find myself reaching for more often than not on "rescue repairs" is flashlights. Sometimes lots of them!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 255 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.