Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#161498 - 01/06/09 12:23 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: Jeff_M]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Benjammin,

I thought that the wife got a procedure done before all your malady's set in. Has that not off set some of your discomfort? grin

#161500 - 01/06/09 12:26 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: comms]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... a procedure..."

Might make him better, might make him worse. You know how it is to have a new "toy" to play with, but not feel good enough to do so...

#161507 - 01/06/09 01:07 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: benjammin]
NAro Offline
Addict

Ben, please consider
http://www.mckenziemdt.org/method.cfm
if there is a McKenzie certified Physical Therapist in your area. I am a psychologist and have (unfortunately) treated a significant number of patients with chronic pain from orthopedic injuries and from failed treatment (orthopedic, chiropractic, or physical therapy treatment) of such. I don't want to contradict or challenge any well-trained practitioner who has actually thoroughly examined you... but I'd be glad to share my opinion further in a PM. [You're account on ETS is over the PM limit, whatever that means..but I think you can still PM me] I don't want to practice over the Internet or offer myself as an "expert" in this or any open forum. But I have been well pleased with my experience with McKenzie-trained Physical Therapists using this approach both for my patients and for myself. Sorry for your troubles!!

#161508 - 01/06/09 01:07 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
You are still on this side of the grass, so it is still all good.

#161510 - 01/06/09 01:16 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: scafool]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Getting older is not for P.P.o.W.'s!!!

#161529 - 01/06/09 03:30 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: benjammin]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
You made another mistake going to a Chiropractor to get that oh so common pseudodiagnosis of lopsided hips. Get a real evaluation by an M.D. (if it persists) is my recommendation. Hopefully it is just a strain (likely) and can go away on its own, but physical therapy and learning some back stretchs/strengthening moves would be more beneficial.

Edited by jshannon (01/06/09 03:34 AM)

#161530 - 01/06/09 03:34 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: jshannon]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Man, I feel for you. Get better soon

Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#161578 - 01/06/09 02:12 PM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Boy, I've been so torn on the whole chiropractor issue.

I'll be turning 50 this year. Broke my back during high school - car accident. It never's been the same.

I have to be real careful about lifing heavy stuff, but with the horses I'm forced to do it all the time. About every two or three years I do something that puts me flat on my back for a few days or more.

I've been to the orthopedic surgeon - he said there wasn't anything wrong except for some arthritis. That was bogus. He said it was muscle strain, but why was the muscle strain always hurting EXACTLY at the vertebrae that had been broken?

Last year I was really bad off. Finally caved in and went to a chiropractor. I always walked out feeling a lot better, but after a day or two things weren't much better. I'd go back ever 3 days or so until finally I stopped going and decided to just over-protect my back (NO lifting) until it got better. Sloooowwwwlllyy my back got better on its own.

The McKenzie idea makes a lot of sense to me. When my back is bad it feels like if I could just stretch a certain way it would get better ... but I've never found that stretch. To be honest, it feels like if I hung from my legs or arms and let it all stretch out that things would do better. Maybe ... maybe not.

I'm starting to feel the aches and pains of a man turning 50, especially after sleeping on the ground at night. The secret there seems to be taking Ibuprofen before I go to bed AND getting up once in the middle of the night to stretch things out a bit.

Good thread, but I'm sorry to hear you're hurting Ben!!

Ken

#161583 - 01/06/09 02:38 PM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Thanks for all the great advice. Fortunately (or not), this is a recurring injury, and I have previously run the gamut on visiting orthopedists and doing PT and shots and meds and such. At one point the Ortho was inclined to recommend surgery, and I put the kybosh on that idea. I have too many acquaintances who've had back surgery and ended up permanently crippled.

My physician usually recommends flexeril and bedrest for 24 hours, which if I take flexeril pretty much ensures I am going to be in bed that long. It is a great muscle relaxant; turns me into the jelly man for at least half a day and I get some of the best sleep I've ever had that way. After the bedrest, I am usually referred to PT, with mixed results. If I don't want to go the Flexeril route, then it is heat and cold packs, anti-inflammatories, and a visit to the Chiropractor. I've found that a series of adjustments combined with some electrical stim similar to what I've received in PT work wonders. Apparently once I've tweaked the back, the muscles start to spasm and seize, creating the alignment issue, which then aggravates the nerve bundle going from my spine, which then exacerbates the muscle issues, which compounds the whole thing into a big ball of pain and posture issues. Getting the muscles out of spasm while also getting the spine to realign seems to be the objective. About once a year or so I get this happen to me, usually as a result of changing my daily ergonomics ( as with moving to Denver, working in a new office with a new office chair etc). Things shift, and before they can accommodate the changes, something in the lower back gives way, and so I have an "episode". No matter which path I take, whether meds or PT or Chiro or a combination, I eventually recover in a couple weeks to a month, and then I am back to my old self again.

The first time I did this was about 15 years ago. I was climbing around on a roof and tried to come in through a window while holding onto some equipment. I twisted just right, and about wet myself when the pain hit me right below my kidney (almost like being kidney punched). That was my first introduction to Flexeril.

Gimme a couple weeks and I should be right as rain. For now, it is all about letting the muscles settle down and back into place.

I've not heard of McKenzie PT before. The PT I've gone through has run the gamut from massage to infrared to EMS to traction to heat and cold therapy to conditioning, some of it works, some of it only made it hurt. I guess after a while you learn what works and what doesn't and go with it. We'll see if the Chiro and the ibuprofren helps.

BTW, good advice about the Nsaids. I try not to take them on a continous basis. My ER doctor friend says they are really bad for the heart as well. Today I opted for topical analgesics instead.

#161671 - 01/07/09 12:08 AM Re: Ailments continue to plague me... [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
THE KNIFE MUST BE THE LAST RESORT!!!!

I built a house for a surgeon that does nothing but backs. His comment was that if one has back surgery a zipper should be installed in the opening, because it WILL NOT be the last time someone is in there. (unless the patient dies of course)

He is the best cutter around (Just ask him, he will tell you so.) and he still has repeat business.

I wish you better health and good luck.

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.