Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#161870 - 01/08/09 04:03 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I still play too hard in it sometimes when rock crawling and break parts, that's how I know what needs upgrading.

Best line in a long time! laugh

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#161873 - 01/08/09 04:15 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: Blast]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
I still play too hard in it sometimes when rock crawling and break parts, that's how I know what needs upgrading.

-Blast

Keeping it rubber-side-down isn't much fun. grin

#161879 - 01/08/09 04:40 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

-Blast

Keeping it rubber-side-down isn't much fun. grin

DW's jeep has a front window decal that is upside down when the jeep is right side up
"... If you can read this...roll me over..."

RIP OBG

#161892 - 01/08/09 01:31 PM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
The beauty thing about jeeps is they will get you out of most places you shouldnt have been in in the first place :o). I have done a few things to my jeep that I think you would be VERY interested in and if you like, I would be happy to send you some pics. I just dont think the rest of the forum would be interested in Jeep stuff. I like what you are doing with your bag and the folks on this site have a ton of GREAT information. Just remember the best way to figure out what you need is to take your bag out and try it out. Replace what you used and like, change what you dont! I am not over the HILL but I like my comfort as I am enjoying the view. Do what will work for you, listen to ideas and advise and allow your pack to grow and develop.

#161909 - 01/08/09 03:17 PM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: epirider]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'm assuming you're bringing gear to help unstick a stuck jeep??

You might bring either some Vaseline-covered cotton balls for tinder, or some commercial counterparts. You could use the TP, but it probably wouldn't burn very long.

I'll second the suggestion for a tarp of some kind - at least kept in the vehicle. I'd make it a very bright one so you can make getting found easier. Tarpsonline.com sells bright orange plastic tarps (like the blue ones, but very bright orange). They're nice.

Don't forget to tell a trusted sole exactly where you're going, when you'll be back, that you'll contact them when you return, and instructions on what to do if you're not heard from. Or ... buy a PLB.

I do like the idea of throwing a sleeping bag and a cheap sleeping pad into the truck. In another thread Chris recently mentioned that his sleeping bag is his primary survival item ... given that you've got a truck, I think that's a good call. Could turn a very cold night into a nice night's sleep.

One of the problems with have 100 purification tablets (Micropur?) is that they expire after some time. That is why I went with the MSR Miox.

I'll second the head net recommendation and the insect repellent. The Outdoor Research head net is my favorite - and happens to be the one Doug Ritter puts in his big aviation kit. When the boys in my son's Scout troop go on survival overnights, the two biggest issues are staying dry (tarp above & below), warmth (sleeping bag & pad), and dealing with the bugs.

Ken K.

#161913 - 01/08/09 03:24 PM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I'm also thinking I might go with the Snugpak Travelpak Lite instead of the Thermo-lite II Bivvy. I'm still planning to carry a fleece bag also.

Good idea, even better though if you go for the Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin and forget the fleece sleeping bag which is very bulky and heavy for the warmth it will provide.

Rather than including materials to make an improvised shelter (takes a lot of time and energy to construct and will most likely be inadequate if the weather changes for the worse) why not get a much more flexible shelter system such as the Golite Shangri-La 3 Tarp Shelter.

http://www.basegear.com/golite-shangri-la-3.html

It is very flexible and can be used in a wide range of weather conditions even up to low level winter conditions. It is also very spacious especially for 1 person.

An inflatable mat such as the Thermarest Prolite 3/4 is recommended and the additional weight easily outweighs any idea of not getting a decent nights sleep whilst sleeping on pine boughs or dirt for a week.

A titanium cooking pot is lightweight and much easier to clean than a coffee can. The Primus Eta pots are excellent and very efficient as well especially if used a lightweight gas stove. A 500 gm butane/propane canister would easily last more than a week. It would also allow food and beverages to be prepared inside your tent or shelter when conditions outside would be difficult.

It might sound like a campers list of items but then when ever did the military know anything about getting a good comfortable nights sleeping in a warm and dry environment.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/08/09 03:24 PM)

#161998 - 01/08/09 10:14 PM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Yeah, I carry plenty of recovery gear and tools in the Jeep.

I do need some kind of tinder, I was thinking at least some dryer lint until I put something better in there.

The website for Potable Aqua claims a four year shelf life, that's why I went ahead and put those in the bag.

I'm going to look into a tent, but for right now I'll just leave the contractor bags in the kit. I'm kind of going back and forth between the Thermo-Lite II w/ a fleece bag, or the better Snugpak bag. The Thermo-Lite II and fleece bag would be better than nothing, plus I already have 3 space blankets in the bag.

My primary goal with the bag is more emergency camping/bugout than planned camping, I carry a ton of stuff with me for planned camping trips (regular sleeping bag, EZ-Up canopy, tent, large cooler, air mattress, gallon of Captain Morgan's, cases of Cokes, food, camp stove, propane heater when it's cold, etc...). This will be to survive if I find myself in an unexpected bad situation, not necessarily be comfortable.

#162007 - 01/09/09 12:10 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
2005, welcome! I have an 06 wrangler X. One thing I use to store gear in my jeep is one of these. I keep food, military compass, swedish stove kit, flashlight, FAK, and a wool blanket (tied to the bottom), all in it, and its all right behind me. Easy to get to. Definitely helps with storage issues in a jeep. But, hey, its a jeep!!

#162010 - 01/09/09 12:25 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: oldsoldier]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
2005, welcome! I have an 06 wrangler X. One thing I use to store gear in my jeep is one of these. I keep food, military compass, swedish stove kit, flashlight, FAK, and a wool blanket (tied to the bottom), all in it, and its all right behind me. Easy to get to. Definitely helps with storage issues in a jeep. But, hey, its a jeep!!

Holy crap that thing is awesome. I may have to get 2 of those. I currently carry most of my gear in the Jeep in ammo cans. I have 3 of the SAW cans and 1 20MM can. I also have a military surplus mechanic's toolbag and keep all my wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers in tool roll-ups. The 20MM can is mostly for stuff that's too large to fit in the smaller cans (universal joint press, grease gun, universal joints, spare unit bearing, spare rear driveshaft, etc...). I had to remove the rear bench seat and put a racing bucket back there due to all the gear I carry.

#162011 - 01/09/09 12:37 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Yeah, I like mine. I was gonna get a second one, but I put other gear in a small ruck. My toolkit sits behind my passenger seat. Once it warms up a bit, I'll take the back seat out & get some pics

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.