Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#161344 - 01/04/09 10:02 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: MDinana]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Giving her about 15-20 ft of rope allowed her to run a bit, not get too tangled in brush, yet still explore the area.

With practice, my dog has learned the command "other way," and he knows to back up and go around the other side of the tree trunk or whatever he just gone past. It helps a lot.

Jeff

#161357 - 01/04/09 11:41 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: Rodion]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Rodion

Listen to what the guy says. First camping trip with my friends (all ex-military), one of them picks up a boiling pot by the handle.

At least Waterjel has a convert.

Lol. I burn myself every trip, garaunteed. Usually picking up the stove shortly after turning it out. Never used watergel, as the burns were never that severe (I have lots of practice dropping the stove too)

#161358 - 01/04/09 11:44 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
As a frequent burner, I can attest to the watergel.

RIP OBG

#161376 - 01/05/09 03:24 AM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: Andy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hey Andy you know what, this was a great post. No matter how many times each of us have gone out to the back country, your thoughts are spot on.

#161390 - 01/05/09 12:11 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: comms]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Great that you are hiking with your pup -- I think they all tap their inner wolf when in the woods.

I started hiking a decade ago with a friend who was preparing for a Himalayan trek. We learned so much the hard way and we laugh about those early hikes now (we were prone to overpack).

I hike or go bikejoring with my dog every weekend in the winter. Both entail carrying a backpack and mostly the same needs -- especially water for the pup.

So I keep my backpack permanently packed with the essentials, including my dog's titanium drinking cup (from REI), dog booties (in case she injures a paw), dog treats, poop bags, pepper spray (to protect her from dogs off leash and me from creeps who belong in jail), emergency whistle, space blanket (Adventure Medical Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy), knife, cash, etc.

All I have to remember to grab for a hike -- besides my backpack -- is water.

Have fun!!

Edited by Dagny (01/05/09 12:13 PM)

#161394 - 01/05/09 02:10 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: MDinana]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I got a nicely embroidered hat one year, for Christmas. It says "Funny, it didn't LOOK hot." AuntGoo figured if it was written down, I wouldn't have to say it.

#161400 - 01/05/09 03:33 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: jimtanker]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: jimtanker
Also, practice with EVERYTHING you are going to use at home. Your stove, your tent, even purifying water and cooking your food. On the trail is no time to have an accident.

Actually, this trip sounds to me like a better test run than the backyard.
Short daytrips check your complete setup better than the backyard.
More of these to work up for overnighters and longer.

#161403 - 01/05/09 04:38 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: unimogbert]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: unimogbert

Actually, this trip sounds to me like a better test run than the backyard.
Short daytrips check your complete setup better than the backyard.
More of these to work up for overnighters and longer.

That is my plan. Use a series of short day trips to work out the kinks of what I carry and how. Get the dog out to new and different places. The goal is to do some weekend trips when it's a wee bit warmer.

Comms, thanks. I can always count on the folks here for good, practical advice.

Dagny, I have a daypack that I carry when we do our daily walks around town. Mostly things I might need in case I come across a MVA or fall down and scrape a knee, etc. I do keep a flashlight, whistle, ResQMe tool and pepper spray on it as well as Camelbak and water bottle for the dog. What I'm working on now is a separate bag for longer hikes which has more in the way of shelter, food and food prep.

MDinana, you know I thought about that when I finished boiling up my water. "Don't be stupid and pick up the stove until it cools off" did run through my mind.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

#161415 - 01/05/09 06:00 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: comms]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: comms
Hey Andy you know what, this was a great post. No matter how many times each of us have gone out to the back country, your thoughts are spot on.

ditto

You are doing a Hudson Bay Company start.
Back in the fur trade days the HBC's courier de bois would leave a Hudson Bay Factory (Factory was what they called a trading post back then) but only travel a few miles, unpack their gear and set up camp. They would do their inventory again at this time too.
It was kind of like a shakedown cruise.
If they had forgotten anything they were still close enough to send somebody back to get it.

Your plan is wise.

Edited by scafool (01/05/09 06:38 PM)
Edit Reason: added: about HBC

#161571 - 01/06/09 01:17 PM Re: Lessons learned (amateur hiking trip) [Re: Andy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Andy
Ridley Creek State Park in Delaware County, PA

Hey Andy, I haven't hit that park yet. How is it? I'm in Ardmore myself.

I used to do a lot of hiking at Rickett's Glenn up north. Steep trails, but beautiful waterfalls.

Ever do any geocaching?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.