Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160979 - 01/03/09 04:37 AM survival vs. the law retry
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

It would seem my first post on this topic got locked for reasons I can't get an explanation for so I thought I would try again.

For those who read the first one, please try to drop any preconceived notions.

Where I live I cannot legally carry a firearm. Wisconsin has no provision for concealed carry and open carry while technically legal results in a disturbing the peace fine.

The knife carry laws in my state are written so vaguely that county prosecutors are free to make their owns laws. I have a nephew who committed a crime where he used a swiss army knife to open the locked doors of a coin operated laundry mat and then used the same tool to open the change dispenser. He wasn't charged with robbery, but armed robbery due to having the swiss army knife. He was 18, first offense and got 10 years in prison.

It is illegal to do any kind of trapping in my state unless one has taken a course offered only in select areas that for many require lengthy travel. With the course completion the laws are written in such a way that only commercial gear can be used. It is not at all clear if a simple snare trap using string or paracord are legal. Even using a hav-a-heart trap to live trap and release garden pests are not legal under the law though such things would rarely be enforced.

I could go on, but it seems to me we have a lot of laws on the books that are not at all friendly to those who would like to be prepared for survival situations and try to get some actual hands on practice before the skills are actually necessary.

What do you think?

#160986 - 01/03/09 05:18 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: username_5]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Not this again....

#160989 - 01/03/09 05:22 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Yes there are laws that are unfriendly to those who break into laundromats using a Swiss Army knife.

What was the question again?

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#160994 - 01/03/09 05:31 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: JohnE]
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

I am going to say I feel really unwelcome here. On other survival/preparedness forums I do not feel that way. What have I done wrong?

I PMed Chris (the mod) and he declined to even respond to why my last post was locked.

I spent about $200 on stuff Mr. Ritter promotes and joined the forums, but can't understand why a simple topic that can be summarized as 'how do your laws affect survival preparedness affect you?' draws so much problems.

As a direct point there is this from 'JohnE' 'Yes there are laws that are unfriendly to those who break into laundromats using a Swiss Army knife. '

In this case the crime was breaking and entering as well as robbery. The actual charge was armed robbery simply because he carried a swiss army knife. I assume most of the readership carries a knife of some sort. How do you feel knowing that the utility tool you carry is effectively a sentence multiplier even if you threaten nobody with it?

Again, I am not trying to be in any way disruptive and do not understand why my post causes anyone any problems. I have PMed the moderator to inquire and the moderator refuses to communicate with me.

Never have I felt so unwelcome on a forum before.

Y'all have a nice life, I don't think I wish to try to be a part of this community.

I am sorry I sent $200 Mr. Ritter's way. Won't make that mistake again.

#160996 - 01/03/09 05:43 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
Not this again....

.... looks like it, somebody call al locksmith

RIP OBG

#161001 - 01/03/09 05:58 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: Desperado]
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

-----------
.... looks like it, somebody call al locksmith---------

Again, would somebody please give me the courtesy of letting me know what I have done wrong? What forum rule have I violated? Why did my original post get locked (mod won't tell me)? What is objectionable about this post?

If Mr. Ritter was trying to raise up an outspoken advocate *against* his site and products he is succeeding, but other than that I just don't get it. What have I don't wrong? Why am I getting endless criticism (that I don't get on other survival/preparedness forums) with no explanation?

#161003 - 01/03/09 06:23 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: username_5]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Sorry you couldn't take a small joke.

Can't speak for other "survival" forums except to say that most if not all of the ones I've read are full of people who seem to be actively working towards an end of the world scenario to take place so they can fulfill their deluded mountain man fantasies.

What are you specifically asking? If you're simply looking for validation for your hypothesis that there are some awful laws that govern things like trapping animals or hunting them without the proper license, you've obviously come to the wrong place.

You've stated that it is illegal for you to carry a gun in your state, so what are we to do with that information? Someone posted that you were in error and you didn't respond. You post that your nephew committed a felony and got caught, were you hoping for some sort of sympathy because you THINK the laws he broke were what, unfair? He broke into another person's place of business to steal from them according to your own account, most of the other "survival" forums would advocate he be shot for trespass.

And please, complaining about the posts written here and trying to tie them into the quality of the products that Doug Ritter endorses and how much money you spent for them? That's just weak.

Again, what's the question?

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#161004 - 01/03/09 06:27 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: username_5]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I think you should bite the bullet, and take the required course. In addition, there are a multitude of schools offering training in primitive skills, hunting, trapping and fishing, wilderness survival, wilderness first aid, and a myriad of other skills. There, you can learn, practice and develop your survival-related techniques without violating the law. You can also legally build and try out things like snares, traps, and fires, at least to the extent of testing that you constructed them correctly, in your own back yard, then dismantling them safely.

Please be aware that this is a survival forum, not a survivalist forum, and is intended for mariners, aviators, outdoor adventurers, and those interested in emergency/disaster preparedness. We strive to be rational, polite, family friendly, and law-abiding.

In all honesty, we really don't have much to offer anyone who has a problem with the law, other than to suggest that they learn to comply, move to where the laws are more to their liking, or seek to change the laws they don't like.

This forum is not intended for those who, because of dissatisfaction with civil society or government, live a survival/retreat/off-grid lifestyle full time, or want to; post-apocalypse/end-of-civilization/zombie horde preparers, or militia/anti-government political types. This is not the place to ask about improvised silencers or full-auto mods, for example. Not that I'm saying you, personally, are any of that, mind you.

I'm just offering my personal opinion as to why you may have felt a certain chill resulting from your survival vs. the law post. The title itself is off-putting to most regulars here. Unless faced with significant extenuating circumstances, such as a survival emergency, I'd bet this is one of the most law-abiding on-line communities you could find.

Keep in mind, also, that this forum is private property, and it's owners can do as they please here. We are all their guests, and can be shown the door at any time for any reason, no explanations required. As for the Ritter gear, you still have some first rate kit for your money, anyway.

Good luck and best wishes to you, Sir.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (01/03/09 06:29 AM)

#161005 - 01/03/09 06:38 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: Jeff_M]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Welcome to ETS Forums, Username_5!!

#161006 - 01/03/09 06:43 AM Re: survival vs. the law retry [Re: Jeff_M]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
A significant part of ETS members are rescue and government workers. Excuse them for advocating the rule of law.

Personally, I believe a TEO***KI type scenario is the one most in need of law enforcement. It's kind of obvious if you think about it.

Okay, so some laws are bad. I'm sure the police and/or national guard will take that fact into account in a humanitarian catastrophe.

www.kravmagafederation.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 160 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.