Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#160780 - 01/01/09 08:45 AM survival versus the law
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

I have been thinking lately about the various laws 'civilized' people live under. In my home state of Wisconsin I am in one of two states (Illinois the other ) with no form of concealed carry law for firearms. If one carries openly they will be charged with a misdemeanor 'disturbing the peace' violation. effectively this means one carries concealed and if caught is considered a major law breaker or one doesn't carry.

I also look over the fishing, hunting and trapping regulations. Unless one has hook and line in summer any means of getting meat for food seems to be illegal.

Wisconsin is an odd place, part of the state is Indian reservation where all state and local laws are legally ignored, then there is the rural part of the state that doesn't have many laws and then there are the sewers/cities with many, many laws and none of them seem to be passed by anyone with any semblance of 'country living'.

I kind of know how things go living next door to a former sheriff's deputy now game warden, but how is it where you live?

My own view is that on my own property I do as i please and that means trapping animals that would bother my garden 24x7 365 days/year. I kill and eat what I trap.

When fishing I am mostly catch and release, but when survival camping I eat what I catch.

I seem to break a lot of laws just trying to get by. I don't really consider myself a rebel, but with such laws passed by people who never slept a night in the woods, what can I do?

How about you?

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (01/01/09 09:32 PM)

#160784 - 01/01/09 12:52 PM Re: survival versus the law [Re: username_5]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
As far as game laws, on my own property I am the law.

Off my own property, I'll go by the law most of the time, but in a survival situation, I'm gonna stay alive first and sort out the paperwork later. laugh

Edited by Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp (01/01/09 12:53 PM)

#160788 - 01/01/09 02:39 PM Re: survival versus the law [Re: username_5]
Homer_Simpson Offline

Not to cause any issues here but I have to dispute some things here
Originally Posted By: username_5
I have been thinking lately about the various laws 'civilized' people live under. In my home state of Wisconsin I am in one of two states (Illinois the other ) with no form of concealed carry law for firearms. If one carries openly they will be charged with a misdemeanor 'disturbing the peace' violation. effectively this means one carries concealed and if caught is considered a major law breaker or one doesn't carry.

I don't know what part of the state you live in but there is no law against open carry in the State of Wisconsin, with the exception of vehicles, schools (that's a federal thing)carry away, sure you might get some hassle but unless you have a local law restricting it there is nothing they can do about it
http://opencarry.org/wi.html

You need to look at the game laws there is no issue with keeping fish as long as you are licensed and are within your daily bag limit. As far as trapping on your own land, not an issue there, even without a license
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/trap/trappingfaq.htm

As far as "Survival Camping" you have to ask yourself are you really in a survival situation? If you are just out to improve your skills then yes I guess you could be breaking laws, but if you are in a real survival situation I don't think they will really care if you take game without the proper permits, or out of season as long as you live to tell about it is my thought

#160812 - 01/01/09 08:25 PM Re: survival versus the law [Re: Homer_Simpson]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ETS has laws too. I will let you edit your post for the offensive language.
I would ask if you 'landowners' have title to water or mineral rights? How about the air above? Will you fire on aircraft? Are there any archaeologic, aka cultural resources on your land? They are not yours either. And those animals are NOT your property. They are the property of the people. Please take a walk outside and think about all the services you enjoy from this onerous society you're complaining about.
You cannot ahve things both ways at your personal convenience.

#160814 - 01/01/09 08:54 PM Re: survival versus the law [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Homer_Simpson Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

I would ask if you 'landowners' have title to water or mineral rights? How about the air above? Will you fire on aircraft? Are there any archaeologic, aka cultural resources on your land? They are not yours either. And those animals are NOT your property. They are the property of the people. Please take a walk outside and think about all the services you enjoy from this onerous society you're complaining about.
You cannot ahve things both ways at your personal convenience.

Funny thing about our trapping laws here is they say if a beaver dam is on your property you can trap it without a license. The one thing you don't own is water, you can own all the land around a lake for example but the water belongs to the State, so I'm not sure how you are able to trap without a license at that point.

#160821 - 01/01/09 10:39 PM Re: survival versus the law [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
How about the air above? Will you fire on aircraft?

Can I ask what the point of interjecting this into the discussion was?

Who said anything about shooting at people????

As for the comments above about harvesting animals that bother a garden, that is legal in most states. In Illinois it can be done with a nuisance permit even for Deer.

#160830 - 01/01/09 11:35 PM Re: survival versus the law [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Taking of animals that are protected is illegal without a permit from the state or federal governing agency, regardless if its your property or not. Granted there are many animals that are not protected but using the defense, "I didn't know" has zero affect in court.

Just ask a farmer trying to control crop and livestock population against predatory animals, birds and insects when those species are protected. Put out some poison to kill an insect eating your crop and a bald eagle eats the insect, you're on the hook for killing the protected bird.

Try talking to a hunter / homeowner in a rural area who sees an 8 point buck eating apples in his backyards and can't shoot him till the season starts a month down the road. That buck may never be back but he obeys the law.

Look Username 5, if were talking about right now, today or over the past year and your poaching fish or animals without a license, going over the limit or out of season or hours allowed to hunt in a day, be prepared for the repercussions. And I hope you get caught.

#160837 - 01/02/09 01:11 AM Re: survival versus the law [Re: comms]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bear Claw, We are a nation of laws. Do American Indians on reservations adher to a different standard? You bet! We signed TREATIES with their ancestors with all the impact of any other soveriegn nation.
I suppose, if I rented you a cabin and part of my land I could claim prima notcturn with your daughters? It is, my land, and at one time people had fewer rights and protections than the King's deer.
Are some laws unfair, onerous and unworkable?
Here's a real novel idea, change them.
meanwhile, I am going to enact a forum law and lock this rediculous thread.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Eugene), 540 Guests and 140 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.