Syphons for both gasoline and water are usefull. while the bottled water suppliers did a yoeman job of trucking in adequate drinking water, My grandmother's neighbor found his 55 gallon food grade drums impossible to access until I provided one. Transfering gasoline from an inoperable vehicle to a functioning one has one hazard-the appearance of theft. As the sherriff told the overzealous security guard at my market ( I had run out of gas-oops!), "We seldom arrest people for poring gas INTO a car son!" Several household products came onto the market after the Quake. Museum wax has long been used to secure delicate objects for display and curation. Various strapping devices of both velcro and metal were rapidly developed for everything from electronics to major appliances and furniture.This not only serves to keep possessions intact, but more importantly;keep them from becoming lethal projectiles. The arguement " all this stuff is in my house anyway" has a single flaw in actual practice. Objects of daily use become used up, worn out, loaned, and missplaced. If the domicile is damaged they are likely inaccessable. A dedicated kit is indeed expensive. My grandmother slept in her car and ate canned apricot preserves until I was able to navigate a camp stove, tent sleeping bag and firearm through inoperable signals, flames erupting through the asphalt from burst gas lines and roving looters which provided free labor to stack the collapsed fireplace brick .<br><br>