The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15965 - 05/18/03 10:58 AM Re: Fire Tabs vs Vaseline-Impregnated Cotton
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I found some really small flint rods in a hardware store. They are used for lighting torches and they are pretty cheap. I glued some to small magnesium bars, that I had after trimming the usual bar to a convenient size for my kit. Epoxy resin works well for this. For the other rods I use a helical spring to attach them to my keyring. Hereīs a picture of the rod and the bar ( the coin is a quarter):

For EDC I protect the rod with a transparent tube and the bar with shrink tubing.

#15966 - 05/19/03 06:36 PM Re: Fire Tabs vs Vaseline-Impregnated Cotton
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
John,

The tube on the BSA Hot spark is nylon plumbing tubing I picked up at Home Depot. I put it on there to protect the rod from my keys etc in my pocket and make it a bit less likely to break if I dropped the whole mess. It fits very tight and would have to be cut off or pulled off with pliers or my teeth...that is why it is a bit long. A softer tubing would be easier to get off, but this stuff was the right size for a tight fit.

I did not cover the Swedish Firesteel as it is my primary steel, and I carry it in a nylon pouch in my vest pocket. A looser fitting tube for it may be a worthwhile addition, but I have not gotton around to it. I have also considered painting the scrapes with nail polish....but never done so.

I have not had any difficulty with my firesteels crumbling but these are both less than 2 years old. The BSA has never been scraped and the Swedish firesteel has only been used a few times within the last several months. I have lots of the BSA steels spread through most of my gear, and they seem to be holding up.

Best places for BSA Hot Sparks is your local Boy Scout retailer....around $2 each.

Best place for Swedish Firesteel is from forumite Bagherra......Piet Henskens at phenskens@hotmail.com

Piet does not always have the Steels, but contact him and find out. His service is absolutely exceptional and the proceeds benefit his Scouts in the Neatherlands.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 347 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.