Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#159536 - 12/22/08 06:05 PM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: sodak]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: sodak
People that sue their rescuers should have to have day-glo orange liscense plates to prevent any future attempts.

"DNR"

-john

#159862 - 12/25/08 03:54 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jakam - "People that want to sue will always sue and let the court decide right or wrong, win or lose, appropriate or inappropriate. I can't live my life worrying over or in fear of impending litigation......."

In an emergency you have to quickly but carefully consider the situation, how to act and how your actions might look to others. If you were sued and you had to explain your actions, methods and motivation to a jury could you do it? Would a jury of reasonable people see you actions as conservative, reasonable and well considered given the situation?

If you can't picture yourself being able to explain your actions, or inaction, to a jury of common people then it should give you a clue as to how reasonable your plan really is.

A sly and cunning lawyer may still try to paint you as a villain but worse case, assuming you considered it beforehand, you can still hold your head high, look the jury in the eyes, and honestly tell them that you were doing the best you could given the situation. IMO most juries will give the benefit of the doubt to a person who was reasonable, careful, conscientious and acting in good faith.

But you have to make sure what you do can be seen as reasonable, careful, conscientious.

#159865 - 12/25/08 04:31 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Art_in_FL]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Many such suits are initiated by the payer of the costs of medical care. Beneficiaries can be, and usually are, contractually bound to aid their insurer in recovering these costs.

You may have no choice but to sue your best friend one day, if your insurance company decides that he could be legally responsible for causing your claim for insurance benefits.

Jeff

#159874 - 12/25/08 11:48 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Jeff_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Which means that the CA Supremes have codified the old adage that no good deed goes unpunished. Lawyers and insurance companies will take that ball and run with it.

#159880 - 12/25/08 12:54 PM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: philip]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: philip

But the major issue is that if you aren't providing medical care in an emergency, you need to exercise due care and not break someone's back rescuing them from a wrecked car. Whether our Good Samaritan did the damage is the subject of dispute, so that will go to trial.

+1, and an apparently minority view that the CA court basically got it right; you have to know what you are doing before you try to remove someone from a (apparently) non-burning car. Also, if you render emergency medical aid. Most, if not all, of the members of this forum know what they are doing.

I have EMT training and certification. Major emphasis in training was careful removal (how and why) of injured people from a car wreck. A while after, I saw a car flip and go off the road, ending upside down. Of course, the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt. No fire. I was grabbing my kit, and shouting to bystanders not to move the driver, and was pushed aside while they dragged him out. Frankly, if he had been injured by their "rescue," I think they should have been sued and lost.

Our instructor also told us the story of someone who witnessed a heart attack, shouted "I know CPR" and attempted (failed attempt) to do CPR. Turns out they only saw it demonstrated on TV. No class, no certification. Apparently, there were others around who had been certified. . .

My understanding is that a Doctor's most important rule is "First, do no damage."

so, I think the CA court is ending up in sorta the right place.

#159884 - 12/25/08 02:01 PM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Doug_Ritter]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

what about the elephant in the room?

the three women had been smoking marijuana prior to adjourning to a bar for 3 1/2 hrs where they had 'several drinks'.

could it be that someone's judgment was impaired?

i'd hope that my fellow members here wouldn't get behind the wheel impaired in the first place, and if they did, and saw an accident, they'd call 911 and keep on going.

i wouldn't want any impaired person helping me, thank you very much.

best for the impaired and best for me.

#159993 - 12/26/08 02:58 PM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Jeff_M]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Many such suits are initiated by the payer of the costs of medical care. Beneficiaries can be, and usually are, contractually bound to aid their insurer in recovering these costs.

You may have no choice but to sue your best friend one day, if your insurance company decides that he could be legally responsible for causing your claim for insurance benefits.

Jeff

+1

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle), 282 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.