Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#158561 - 12/16/08 07:47 AM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: Lon]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
I spent years bouncing some BIG bars. Talking drunks out of something stupid is never easy, but far easier than the alternative. (I'm not the baddest guy around but I'm pretty good at the "alternative" too) A guy I learned a lot from back in the day wrote several books on defense. If you can find a copies, Paladin press in Boulder Colorado published a few books by Marc "Animal" MacYoung. "Fists wits and a wicked right" and "cheap shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons" are two of his 6 books on self defense I strongly suggest reading. He has a very different writing style but like me the guy lived ending (not starting) bar brawls and fist fights. Last I knew he was head of security at a correctional institution. That should tell you something about his real world experience.

#158568 - 12/16/08 12:16 PM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: Ranter]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Use the element of suprise. I had a high school teacher tell a story about when he was in the military and was on leave and was at a local bar when some guy wouldn't leave him alone. The barender fnally told him he should take the guy outaide and he did. now I was in about 9th grade and a small guy myself (graduated at 120lbs) and I could look down at this teacher. He went outside and told the guy he'd give him to the count of three to shut up. Then counted to One and knocked him out. He skipped two and three.

#158613 - 12/16/08 07:59 PM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: Lon]
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

To the OP, get a gun.

There is no such thing as self defense training that one can learn in a short time.

In a panic situation where skills need to be reflexes the only way to get there is to find a combat oriented martial arts studio (not easy to find) and then train until the techniques becomes reflexes you don't need to think about, your body just responds without the mind engaged.

In hand to hand combat if you think or blink, you lose. You have to operate purely on reflexes and instinct. Training these takes a lot of time and practice if you aren't raised in an environment that confers them naturally.

You are better off buying a gun.

#158614 - 12/16/08 08:03 PM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: Desperado]
username_5 Offline
Journeyman

double post

Edited by username_5 (12/16/08 08:03 PM)

#158672 - 12/17/08 02:51 AM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: OldBaldGuy]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...Whatever Steven Seagal practices (Aikido?) looks interesting...'

yes it does. but apparently it makes you put on weight laugh laugh laugh

Then I'll be good at it, already done that!!!!! laugh

Edited by sodak (12/17/08 02:51 AM)

#158673 - 12/17/08 02:51 AM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: username_5]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Remember that weapons only help you if you can use them in the situation. It's nice to have a weaponless backup plan and know what to do when someone traps both arms in a surprise bear hug and tries to throw you head first onto the ground. The gun will just make a bigger bruise on your hip when you hit the ground.

Edited by ohiohiker (12/17/08 02:52 AM)

#158674 - 12/17/08 02:54 AM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: Hookpunch]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
+2 on BJJ or mixed martial arts.

Originally Posted By: sodak
BJJ has always intrigued me, but it almost assumes you're only fighting 1 person, otherwise, you take him down while his buddy keeps kicking you. Not good.

I like Tae Kwon Do, but it's better at a distance, and is really a young man's game. I have some arthritis setting in my hip, and high kicks really aggravate it.

Whatever Steven Seagal practices (Aikido?) looks interesting. I like that you can use it to control someone without necessarily having to punch or kick his lights out. I also like that you can use it in tight situations, like a bar or crowded room.

Actually BJJ has a comprehensive self-defence stand up component, much like what is taught in Judo/stand up jiu-jitsu.

Here is a manual on it.

Brazilian JJ self defence

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! What really interested me was watching those Gracie boys! Talk about people I want to stay on the good side of!

#158691 - 12/17/08 05:59 AM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: ohiohiker]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: ohiohiker
Remember that weapons only help you if you can use them in the situation. It's nice to have a weaponless backup plan and know what to do when someone traps both arms in a surprise bear hug and tries to throw you head first onto the ground. The gun will just make a bigger bruise on your hip when you hit the ground.

Very true. Also, a gun is a huge asset in a self-defense situation but it doesn't reduce the need for training one bit. Just as learning to land a solid punch (or evade one) takes a lot of practice, so does deploying and effectively using a firearm at very close range where most confrontations start. Keep in mind that operating a firearm is a fine motor skill. These usually go out the window once the adrenaline kicks.

#158693 - 12/17/08 06:56 AM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: Matt]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Ditto on Krav. I've sampled (but never seem to complete) Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Tai Kwan Do and Tai Chi, even had a seminar in Fiore dei Liberi(!). The most practical was definitely Krav Maga. Heck, the 4th class was wrestling / knife defenses! Didn't get anything like that in the other classes.

#158697 - 12/17/08 11:03 AM Re: sources for Self Defense physical skills [Re: beadles]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Just curious, who did the seminar on Fiore? Bob Charron, David Cvet/somebody from the AEMMA? And how did you like it?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 315 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.