The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#178427 - 08/02/09 04:44 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: scafool]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: scafool

There is one thing the sparklight score well on. It can be used with one hand. If you have been hurt you might only have one hand available to do things with.
(It is the same reason I like putting one hand opening knives in emergency kits if they can not carry a fixed blade.)

I am sure you can use matches one handed: as well as lighters. I'm also sure you would soon figure out how to use a fire steel, metal match or flint and steel one handed if you thought about it.

You can also use a magnifying glass, fire piston, battery and wire; small arm rounds and pyrotechnics one handed.

To market something on its one handed use is not a great if the design is floored by having the tool way to small to use effectavely.

People often use the "what if your hand is injured" argument when describing the Spark lite. If your hand or arm is that badly injured then the chances are you will be suffering from shock so again you will not be able to use fine motor skills or operate small fiddly items of kit.

Spark lite is a lot better than some of the other products out there but it aint great for cold-land environments. But, you would be a fool if you had no other form of fire lighting in cold-land environments.

#178464 - 08/02/09 11:09 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: PureSurvival]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've lit quite a few fires well below freezing with a sparklite, and many more above it. Never had a problem once I had my gloves on. Is that an issue, sure, but I can't work a match with heavy gloves on either.

The sparklite is a compromise item- size of a match, hundreds of lights.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#178465 - 08/03/09 12:35 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: PureSurvival]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
[quote=PureSurvival][

Can anyone tell me which military survival kits since the 1970s the spark lite has been included in, including date of issue and NSN No of the kit.
[/quoteI'll see what I can find ot.
I do know our host Doug Ritter put the spark-lite in the Pocket Survival Pack he designed, currently being sold by Adventure Medical kits, as well as the Doug Ritter Essentials Aviator Survival Vest sold through Aeromedix, and the Spark-Lite is in many if not all of Doug's other kits.
A quick look at a few of the Boulder Outdoor Survivalip School (BOSS) kits had the Spark-Lite in them.
1-814-234-0698 - Oak Norton at Four Seasons Survival may be better to answer your questions about the military uses.

#178665 - 08/05/09 01:46 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: PureSurvival]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: PureSurviva

Can anyone tell me which military survival kits since the 1970s the spark lite has been included in, including date of issue and NSN No of the kit.

Have you bothered to contact Oak Norton yet as I suggested to get the answer to your question?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.