Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#158454 - 12/15/08 04:24 AM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: PSM]
schaz Offline

Loc: California
I'm flying out of EMT. Maybe another time.

Seth

#158505 - 12/15/08 08:39 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: schaz]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay, the Stearns I like is the I650 Stearns® VR™ Versatile Rescue, mostly because it's set-up with webbing to take a helo hoist. The Stearns-SOSpenders Inflatable Nomex Vest you chose looks more comfortable (a good thing), but note that it's only authorized for use in aircraft that have no requirement. Does it have leg straps?

If I get one it will probably be the Switlik Special Operation Vest because of the purpose built pocket for a HEED bottle in addition to the gear pocket found on their Helo Crew Vest.

#158584 - 12/16/08 03:32 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: Russ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Okay, the Stearns I like is the I650 Stearns® VR™ Versatile Rescue, mostly because it's set-up with webbing to take a helo hoist.

Please be aware, this PFD is not set up for helicopter hoist operations. The leg straps are primarily to hold it in place in swiftwater, where the power of the water can cause a PFD to rapidly rise up on the wearer. The quick release belt is for “live bait” rescues, where the rescuer is tethered, as the line plays out and become taut, the rushing water can over power the buoyancy of the PFD, forcing the rescuer under water. The quick release belt or “blow out” belt allows the rescuer to quickly disconnect from the tether. This PFD should only be used by trained individuals, as a Type 5 PFD, it is application specific.

Take a look at these PFDs:

PFD

Also consider a separate harness designed for wearing under a PFD:

CMC Harness

Pete

#158602 - 12/16/08 05:44 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: paramedicpete]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
+10 on the CMC Rescue products. I learned of them from SWAT and Technical Rescue buddies. I then made some of their harnesses and rescue equipment standard on my tower crew's vehicles in the old job. Not only is their stuff top notch, it is comfortable (related to others) and service was second to none.

Live bait, whew . . .
Looks like those guys should have an extra buoyant PFD. Just to haul the weight of those big stones with them. That looks like a way to become dead bait. My hat is off to them!

RIP OBG

#158619 - 12/16/08 09:03 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: paramedicpete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks for clarification on the I650 Stearns® VR™ Versatile Rescue vest. Looking at the webbing it seemed like it should be able to take a hoist especially with the Optional Auxiliary Tether System which attaches to either shoulder. The "Supports up to 1,100 lb. when properly integrated. . ." makes it seem ready for a helo hoist.

As I recall from the helo hoists I've done, all the weight was taken by that wide piece of webbing across the chest and the leg straps didn't do much. As you said, the leg straps just keep the vest from riding over your head.

#158640 - 12/16/08 10:32 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: Russ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Thanks for clarification on the I650 Stearns® VR™ Versatile Rescue vest. Looking at the webbing it seemed like it should be able to take a hoist especially with the Optional Auxiliary Tether System which attaches to either shoulder. The "Supports up to 1,100 lb. when properly integrated. . ." makes it seem ready for a helo hoist.

As I recall from the helo hoists I've done, all the weight was taken by that wide piece of webbing across the chest and the leg straps didn't do much. As you said, the leg straps just keep the vest from riding over your head.

Sounds like you are thinking about the "horse collar" type lifting strap. Having transited to and from more rotary wing aircraft than I can remember via a hoist/rappel/fast rope, I strongly suggest a proper harness. Failing the use of a harness then a properly tied "Swiss Seat". If you are looking for an all in one solution for PFD/Hoist they are mostly green in color and not 100% comfortable until you adjust to it. Mustang makes just one example. The hoist straps don't show in the picture, but they are there.

Good luck.

RIP OBG

#158648 - 12/16/08 10:59 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: Desperado]
Russ Offline
Geezer

No, I was using a Navy aviation survival vest just like the one issued from my squadron paraloft. It had heavy nylon 1.75" webbing across the chest with a D-ring lift point @ center chest. The 1" leg straps would assist in keeping you in the vest, but I wouldn't trust them on their own.

I have used a horse collar, not nearly as secure as the vest.

#158717 - 12/17/08 02:06 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: Russ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:

The tether strap does not attach at the shoulder for hoisting. The quick release strap is threaded through the ring of the tether and is usually held in place at the wearer’s back with Velcro. The carabineer part then attaches to the shoulder (for this PFD, either shoulder) to keep it out of the way when not needed. When in actual use the carbineer is attached to a rescue line (i.e. throw bag line) for “live bait” rescues. The tether itself is elastic, for shock absorption. The vector forces on the quick release strap are designed for horizontal forces, i.e. rescuer in the water placing horizontal forces between the PFD and the rescue line. In a hoist scenario, the vector forces being applied to the PFD/quick release strap are vertical; the leg straps are not designed for supporting the full weight of the wearer in a vertical operation and may fail at the buckle. I can tell you from personal experience, with my PFD (Rescue PFD-for hoist operations, I use the CMC SRT Harness underneath)and being pulled into an inflatable boat, by the shoulders of the PFD, it rides up, even when properly fitted, I can not imagine attaching any part of it, including the quick release strap for a hoist operation. A PFD designed for or in conjunction with a rated harness should only be used for a hoist operation.

I do not consider myself an “expert” in anything, but in matters of water rescue and hoist operations; I am somewhat “experienced”.

Pete

#158768 - 12/17/08 05:57 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: paramedicpete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Trouble with this hoist stuff is that while I remember it like it was yesterday, it was many years ago and much of the equipment I used has been phased out/replaced with new-better. The idea of using a good PFD with a serious harness such as the CMC SRT Harness is appealing. My old survival vest would do both; I may look at the current mil issue gear.

#158786 - 12/17/08 07:01 PM Re: Aviation PFD? [Re: Russ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

While a variety of things can or may work or be jury-rigged to work, schaz is making an initial purchase of a PFD for aviation applications. Since his life may depend upon selecting the appropriate PFD, he should purchase the very best he can afford. This one survival product on which one should not make any compromises, your life may depend upon it working and working correctly.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.