Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#158315 - 12/14/08 01:30 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Eugene]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I've never owned a new vehicle, often with careful shopping a 1yr old vehicle can be as nice as a new one.

#158319 - 12/14/08 01:51 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A few months ago I was looking at new trucks and didn't see anything better than what I had, but the engine was showing signs of wear, so I replaced the engine. Went to Ford and they ordered up a New (not remanufactured) long block. Much less than the cost of a new truck, no issues with someone else's problems and it came with 100K mile warranty. It cost more than a rebuild, but it's a new engine. Runs great BTW. Another thousand miles and I switch to pure synthetic oil.

#158323 - 12/14/08 03:34 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Only reason I had to replace my 200,000 mile chevy was because it didn't have room for child seats, I had to get an extended cab.

#158325 - 12/14/08 03:46 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
I've never owned a new vehicle, often with careful shopping a 1yr old vehicle can be as nice as a new one.

I had three reasons for previously buying new:
1 I usually waited too late to start looking (driven till the wheels fall off)
2 Warranty and extended warranty
3 Business tax write off.

Prior to owning my own business, I always bought used after long searches. Also always had company vehicles that were replaced at 100K miles regardless of age. As part of my compensation they were take home vehicles. I just needed wheels for personal stuff. Number two son is still driving my old 1996 Chevy 4x4 extended cab I bought in 1997. Honestly it is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Wife grew up always wanting a jeep. When she finally got one she realized 5 full size folks don't fit. Now my F350 4 door has become the family car and the 5th Wheel pulling machine.

In three years or so, I will have to see what's available. I sure do like not having a payment though.

RIP OBG

#158333 - 12/14/08 04:11 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Wish I still had the old toyota farm truck I grew up with. I would just gift it to you. When I had it in 1987 it was OLD, but reliable and 4x4. Rolled it more than once in the pastures. Grab a tractor, roll it back over, lay in the seat and kick the dents out of the roof and your good to go! My relative/boss painted it safety orange as a joke so he could see us coming.

RIP OBG

#158337 - 12/14/08 04:38 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Careful with the old Land Cruisers. The metal wasn't treated to resist corrosion. If you notice the unrestored L/C's often let as much light through the metal as the glass. Lots of money to rust away.

RIP OBG

#158346 - 12/14/08 05:27 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

There was a company out there that made treated replacement body parts for them, but then you're back to the $75,000.00 thing again. Steer clear of the Land Rovers, unless you are an electrical / electronics genius. The things will go anywhere, but should come with an electrical repair kit instead of a spare tire and jack.

Edited by Desperado (12/14/08 05:27 PM)

RIP OBG

#158415 - 12/15/08 01:05 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: wildman800]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Implied in this post is a general fear of economic collapse/loss of food security/nuclear or bio Armageddon.

I'll suggest that if you haven't been raising up at least some of your own food for the last five years, a summer of trying just ain't going to cut it.

If you can't live "cash only now" it's not going to get any better soon.

This is the worst possible time to be pulling back from your network of family, friends, and yes, government.

No binder is going to help you keep food on the table if you don't have either the skills someone will pay for or the ability to grow your own - and sell enough extra to pay for the tools and taxes that go with it.

There is nowhere in the USA where you'll find a truly "self sufficient" compound. Nowhere. You need ammo? You need a shovel? You need a knife?

All of the fish are contaminated with toxins and you can't live off of freshwater fish for any length of time. The majority of the farms are growing genetically modified grains that can't be saved as seeds (they commit "suicide" unless they are treated with a proprietary gene modification process to allow them to sprout.

My point is that the world today is irrevocably entwined. Even Ted Kaczynski lived in a PLYWOOD shack, not one made of found materials.

I don't deny that being more self-reliant is a good thing, to an extent, but ultimately, it's a fools errand to really think that you're ever going to make things better without a network of people and institutions.

#158419 - 12/15/08 01:17 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I never saw it that way. I may have actually hijacked it into auto talk on the first page, which I really never intended.

I can tell ya' this much, if it is going to come down to "growing your own" (food, don't go there) then the problems are on the way to Mr. Darwin.

Sorry for the "auto talk" hijack.

Everyone have a nice evening

RIP OBG

#158803 - 12/17/08 08:23 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Desperado]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
* replenish food supplies (add more rice, pasta, and canned veggies)
* keep drinking water supply at above 1/2 full at all times. I have a bad habit of letting it get too low.
* get a checkup at the doctor. I havent been to a doctor in 20 years. Turning 40 is a great time to get everything checked out. (insert "bend over and cough" jokes here) I do however go to the dentist twice a year and am very glad I do.
* replenish stored gas now that prices are lower.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 554 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.