Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#157520 - 12/07/08 03:23 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Desperado]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Desperado
On Rescue Breathing: I thought I recently heard something saying rescue breathing was being done away with? Is this true?

We've had some informative threads on this topic in the past, including links to other info, if you're interested in reading more about compression-only CPR. In the CEPA (sort of like CERT) program I just recently participated in, we had an AHA CPR segment and we were taught the latest 30:2 compression:breaths ratio from the 2005 guidelines. But those guidelines have been modified again not too long ago, so relatively soon, you'll likely see compression-only being taught as the most basic form of CPR. But it depends how quickly that will happen. It costs additional money to implement every time there is any change in the guidelines.

However, it's important to note that compression-only CPR is not really one-size-fits-all. For adults, situations like drownings, intoxication, choking, drug overdoses, etc. rescue breaths would still be recommended, and so would most pediatric situations. So, practicing rescue breathing would still be useful because compression-only works best in situations where the heart stops first, so there is still oxygen in the blood but no way to circulate, versus those situations I just listed, where generally the blood oxygen becomes depleted to the point where the heart then stops beating, so the thinking is that just circulating deoxygenated blood isn't so helpful and rescue breaths become more crucial.

#157521 - 12/07/08 03:24 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Hookpunch]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Used to be an EMT, and departmental CPR instructor. I am not current anymore, but still remember how to do it, having done CPR for real several dozen times over the years...

#157542 - 12/07/08 04:53 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: OldBaldGuy]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
My former employer did regular CPR training for all comers and made sure everyone got refresher training every year or two. Alas, my current employer does nothing of the sort.

Ms yeti and myself did go take the 16-hour version of Wilderness First Aid (no CPR) about 2 months or so ago. We want to do more but expenses and time...well...you know.

#157641 - 12/08/08 01:55 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: yeti]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Note that rescue breathing is perhaps the most important intervention for victims of a lightning strike who are in respiratory arrest. Breathing for them for the few minutes it takes for their brain's respiratory drive to kick back in can literally be the difference between life & death.

#157645 - 12/08/08 03:08 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Arney
We've had some informative threads on this topic in the past, including links to other info, if you're interested in reading more about compression-only CPR.

While looking for a different old post of mine, I ran across this old oldie but goodie thread I started about the 2005 resuscitation guidelines and compression-only CPR, for anyone interested. That was a good discussion we had back then. We've had a couple other good discussions along the way IIRC, for anyone wanting to dig even further.

#157686 - 12/08/08 07:14 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Hookpunch]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Hookpunch

I have signed up for a course over a weekend, the St. John's Ambulance version, something I think is always a good idea if just for your immediate family.

However as a bonus these type of courses would seem critical in a survival situation.

Just wondering how many on this board have taken courses.

Thanks

Yeah I took the CPR and First Aid courses... Fun stuff. Good luck mate have fun with it. I do CPR almost everyday, good skill to have... And first aid well there is no substitute for it.

Edited by Polak187 (12/08/08 07:17 PM)

#157687 - 12/08/08 07:16 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Polak187]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
CPR tonight, first aid Thursday.

#157688 - 12/08/08 07:28 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Hookpunch]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Just keep in mind the courses should be considered the first step. On-going training and practice are vital to adequate performance, especially under the pressure of an actual emergency.

Pete

#157715 - 12/09/08 12:16 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: paramedicpete]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Just like everything in medicine, CPR changes as we learn more about the human body. While most of the changes in medicine and even emergency care the average Joe doesn’t see firsthand like with CPR. Over the last few years the changes in CPR have been significant but these changes have only been incremental steps towards where CPR will be after the next few sets of guidelines. The best advice I can give, take CPR every year and follow the guidelines that you were last taught!

About Rescue Breathing; Rescue Breathing is not going anywhere. Breathing for someone who has a pulse but not adequate respiration is an important skill that has no replacement. It may not be taught in every CPR level, but it is still being taught… if you were taught it, use it! Don’t discount the new CPR courses that are “dumbed down” though. The point of the shorter/simpler Heartsaver course is to provide basic CPR instruction to as many people as possible; it is not possible to include everything that is taught in the “Health Care Provider” level of CPR. The no ventilation CPR was initially introduced nationwide in the AHA Heartsaver CPR program, many billed it (and it was even taught) that it was because people were more likely to do CPR without ventilations. However, prior to these courses, compression only CPR was being used in some EMS communities and hospitals with HUGE increases in survival to discharge (from the hospital). Yup, it looked weird especially through the eyes of experienced providers; doing Compressions on a patient without ventilations (even putting a passive oxygen mask on these patients). It was/is a major paradigm change but it works!

If you want more than a Heartsaver course can offer you, take a more advanced class… the Healthcare Provider initial class is a 16 hour (one weekend)… but at least take the Heartsaver class, basic yes… but it is the simplest things that save lives, always has been, always will be that way.

#157720 - 12/09/08 12:28 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Alan_Romania]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
If you want more than a Heartsaver course can offer you, take a more advanced class… the Healthcare Provider initial class is a 16 hour (one weekend)… but at least take the Heartsaver class, basic yes… but it is the simplest things that save lives, always has been, always will be that way.

Who gives this class?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.