Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157384 - 12/06/08 05:08 PM Question about tent and sleeping bags for family
texasboots Offline

Santa is bringing my daughter a new sleeping bag.. Any suggestions? Im looking for somthing that can be used for play as well as an emergency. I also want to get a new tent to replace the China Mart condensation pit we had..

#157389 - 12/06/08 06:25 PM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: texasboots]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
I'd choose a rectangular synthetic (like Polarguard) good down to the freezing point. I like the tents at mountain Equipment Coop from Vancouver BC.

#157407 - 12/06/08 10:26 PM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: Colourful]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
How serious a bag do you want? Summer weight? Dead of winter camping weight?

#157411 - 12/06/08 11:01 PM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: texasboots]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Where will it be used in emergencies? The issue is the cold, of course. Depending on where you are in Texas, that could be mild to severe. It's easier to kick off a bag that's too warm than to make a light bag warm. (Space blankets work, though.)

Same with the new tent: what's your worst weather? How many people sleep in it? Do you need for it to hold gear, too? How often will you use it? Are you going to hike with it? Car camp? Use it as emergency shelter if your home is destroyed?

My general answer is that if it's not something you're going to use often, you need to decide between a cheap piece of crap that will get you by or a decent bag and tent that will stand up to severe use. If you buy cheap, buy a couple for back ups, and live with the results. Sounds like you've done the cheap route with tents, so post what your needs are and see what answers you get.

#157441 - 12/07/08 12:31 AM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: philip]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Also how old is your daughter, and how are you using it? Sleep overs? Camping?

I grew up in southern Cali; I found that my 20 degree bag was usually too warm in that state - Texas might be similar.

Mummy bags are warmer, but tighter. I'd suggest going to REI or someplace similar, where folks can help demonstrate specific brands.

Personally, I've had good luck with the REI brand. NorthFace is pretty good too. In fact, I think (based on personal observations only) that REI tends to "knock off" NorthFace, but at much better prices. Plus lifetime warranty.

#157461 - 12/07/08 01:52 AM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: MDinana]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Again, its situationally dependent on use. I will +1 a REI bag over a Big Box bag. Minimum 40* bag. You can also buy a liner to drop the bag rating down for colder outdoor nights.

Not enough info on the who/what for/where on the tent.

#157534 - 12/07/08 04:02 PM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: texasboots]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup, to to a place like REI and ask around. Or look thru a Campmor catalog, most of the stuff they handle is good. I have had good luck with REI, Mountain Hardware, Sierra Designs, and Eureka brands...

#157546 - 12/07/08 05:30 PM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: Nishnabotna]
texasboots Offline

Location? Well we are presently in Florida, from Texas and planning on being back in Texas or somewhere out west in the near future. We had planned on going back to the Dallas area but this darn Great Depression #2 seems to be stopping a lot of highering. I have been camping in Florida and don't plan to do that again any time soon. Too hot and humid and not much to see in my opinion. We went camping in South Carolina in the mountains and had a great time but nearly froze our butts off. I want something a family of 5 can sleep in to use for an occasional camping trip as well as a disaster tent.

#157587 - 12/08/08 12:28 AM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: texasboots]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Be patient, get to know your local and online REI. Buy stuff on sale or clearance after you have visited the store and have a good idea what the gear is like. Be sure everyone climbs into whatever gear they think they want to check real world size.

An REI 4 season tent on sale. Push if necessary to get the tents you like set up so everybody can get inside. Buy a tent rated for AT LEAST one more person than will stay in it - and then strongly consider getting a tent rated for AT LEAST two more persons than will stay in it. Consider a separate tent for the kids.

REI-sourced, do-it-yourself layered sleep systems. Start with a Travel-Sack and later look warmer sleeping bags into which the Travel Sack can fit. Maybe consider a bivy into which the sleeping bag can fit. Maybe a liner that can fit into the Travel Sack. Buy the parts on sale.

REI-sourced best sleeping pads you can afford in the biggest sizes that collectively work with your tent. A self-inflating Term-A-Rest is worth its weight in whatever you hold dear. Try to get them on sale.

Include the kids and spouse in the process to the extent they are willing; listen to them. Have fun.

#157606 - 12/08/08 02:04 AM Re: Question about tent and sleeping bags for family [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Second Dweste on the tents - a "2-person" tent is good for 2 midgets. One of my ex's and I (she's 5'1", I'm 5'8") had a snug night inside a 2-man tent before.

Having a tent sized 1 person larger helps with just general moving about (changing, setting up stuff, etc). Consider getting a tent with a awning/fly so you can keep your gear out of the elements at night. I'd suggest, however, that you keep food out of the packs while they're snug under.

Look for tents that have waterproof seams as well. This will save time from re-sealing all the bottom seams yourself. Some REI brand (and other, I think) will sell "footprints" for the tents - basically a ground sheet to keep the bottom drier. You can skip the extra and just buy a cheap tarp from Home Depot and cut it to size.

once you decide on a tent, practice putting it up a few times. An experienced user could probably figure it out quick enough, but it's never fun to have to do a trial-by-error on a cold, windy, rainy night, which always seems to happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.