The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156403 - 11/26/08 01:46 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: Todd W]
Jakam
Unregistered

Funny, todd! Need a key boat!

Seriously, I would predict traffic jams if lots of water traffic, but would the jams at the locks be worse than the jams on the roads? Interesting scenario.........

#156420 - 11/26/08 06:36 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Would the locks be working after an EMP event?? I don't think so!

Would Uncle Sam leave the lock areas unguarded so that small boaters could portage their boats and gear around the locks? I don't think so!

Is waterway travel a viable option? Yes, until you reach the first lock on that waterway!

Is my small boat large enough to hold the crew, water, food, and BoB's to float safely down a river? No!

Is my small boat small enough to portage a significant distance to get around a lock's secured area? Probably not (considering the terrain around most locks)!

Is the crew numerous enough, well armed sufficiently to guard supplies, portage the boat, then the supplies, while securing both ends of the portage route? No!

Viable option: Depends on your level of desperation, short term threats, odds of success - if you have knowledge of actual and potential threats, crew cohesion (usually a couple of levels above a Chinese Fire Drill), how distant is it to the first "parting of ways" as some crew depart to go to those areas east or west of the Mississippi River.

I think I'll take my chances overland where I am certainly going to be able to develope more options.

#156425 - 11/26/08 07:33 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: wildman800]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I was unaware an EMP could be an accidental man made disaster.

After re-reading the new "rules" It appears the scope of this forum may prevent this topic to continue if it involves EMP, nukes, etc... or am I mistaken?

(Nothing against you wildman800, I don't want to see this topic closed, moved or deleted though. )

-Todd

#156430 - 11/26/08 08:35 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: Todd W]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I don't think an EMP event would be accidental. Nothing short of an EMP event, IMO, would necessitate my having to leave the boat.

Discussing the Topic Question does not require discussing the source or causes of such a result. Straying off the topic into gray and then forbidden areas is what gets many Topics locked up, IMHO!

I am looking for info concerning a transit from the Ohio River Valley (above Cairo, Il to the Pittsburgh, Pa area), southward to Nashville, Tn; where I am planning to pick up The Natchez Trace to Natchez, Ms.

I have received that info concerning the Pittsburgh, Pa area, of which I know very little. I appreciate and thank the contributor's time and efforts!

I am also looking for other similar trails that may exist through the Ky, WV, and Tennessee areas. I am also looking for local information concerning the inhabitants attitudes, customs, and courtesies.

#156463 - 11/27/08 05:20 AM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: wildman800]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Well said smile

Have you played around with google maps and yahoo maps? They now let you drag the 'default' path onto other areas thus creating new routes? May be useful in finding ways-around where you "get to land" ?

#156473 - 11/27/08 02:28 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: Todd W]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: ToddW
Well said smile

Have you played around with google maps and yahoo maps? They now let you drag the 'default' path onto other areas thus creating new routes? May be useful in finding ways-around where you "get to land" ?

That is a good place to start to find routes, but is no substitute for local specific knowledge. A route may look good, but in fact be blocked.

A trivial example. My home street, on the maps, shows it connects with another street, producing a quick short cut. Its on the county maps as a county road. Only the county got it wrong, and about 300 yards of that road is private, and the farmer who owns it didn't like the traffic across his land, so he dropped a massive tree across the road, totally blocking it. People yelled. Farmer's response: my land, my road my tree.

My point is, without such up close local knowledge, what looks good on paper or even a satellite photo, may not work.

Someone once said "the map is not the territory." Something to keep in mind.

#156478 - 11/27/08 03:37 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: bws48]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Regardless of the causation, I would expect any group to dwindle as each member passed the area or approach to his home area.

At the same time, one might also expect some of the core group to stay together with the persons experienced with the area.

Example, In Oklahoma or Texas, I would be comfortable with my surroundings. If out on the rivers mentioned up this thread, I would be sticking with someone with the knowledge of said rivers and traveling on them. Tis all unique, and one hell of a long walk.

RIP OBG

#156493 - 11/27/08 06:22 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: bws48]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Google Earth is a fun tool also. It's biggest problem is that the more rural areas are not always updated sat photos, so you get no detail at all...

#156496 - 11/27/08 07:07 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You can go to the USGS and download high res images. Quite time consuming though. I did my parents farm and can count the trees.

#156503 - 11/27/08 11:07 PM Re: Researching Bug Out Routes [Re: bws48]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: bws48
[quote=ToddW] but is no substitute for local specific knowledge. A route may look good, but in fact be blocked.

Reading through this thread, I'd say that is what Wildman is looking for, some hands on local info from people who know the area.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.