Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#155881 - 11/21/08 02:57 PM Advice on cooking fuel for disaster
texasboots Offline

Hello all,

Any thoughts on a fuel source for disasters that can be stored at home safely and lasts a long time? Preferably not propane.

#155882 - 11/21/08 03:20 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: texasboots]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well, assuming that you are talking fuel for cooking, the safest and easiest to store would probably be an alcohol fueled stove. You can even use common rubbing alcohol in them, altho it doesn't burn as well as proper fuel. Only other cooking fuels that come readily to mind would be "Coleman" fuel and wood...

#155884 - 11/21/08 03:28 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: texasboots]
texasboots Offline

So how safe is Coleman fuel to store? Do I need to be concerned with it exploding on me? Forgive my ignorance..

#155887 - 11/21/08 03:56 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: texasboots]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Just wondering why you're not too hot on propane?

#155888 - 11/21/08 04:01 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: Nishnabotna]
texasboots Offline

My wife doesn't feel comfortable with propane around. I'm trying to look for something that I can store and have minimal worry/upkeep.

I realize all fuels are dangerous but looking for a compromise.

#155900 - 11/21/08 05:45 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: texasboots]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Coleman fuel (also known as white gas) is, chemically speaking, very close to the gasoline you buy at the pump, without all the additives your car likes and the government requires, so storing it provides the same difficulties and dangers of storing a can of gas for a lawnmower.

Most estimates I've seen say that it starts to go bad after a year. That said, backpacking stoves are less complicated than engines, and if you know how to clean and maintain your stove you can burn white gas that is much older. My record is five years with no clogging, and only a slight drop-off in performance. Of course, I have no idea how long the stuff had been in the can when I bought it. I wonder if there's a date on the can . . .

I used to buy the gallon cans of Coleman fuel, but have recently switched to the ultra-pure stuff from MSR (http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/superfuel.asp). It's much more expensive, but white gas stoves are so efficient that the cost is still minor. Smaller cans equal less waste, and the higher purity makes my stove a real rocket. I can tell by the sound which type of fuel I'm burning, and I get faster boils using less fuel.

Edited by jaywalke (11/21/08 05:46 PM)

#155906 - 11/21/08 05:59 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: jaywalke]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Both wood and charcoal are pretty inert and easy to store. And please remember to cook outside.

#155910 - 11/21/08 06:09 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: jaywalke]
GrilledBison Offline
Stranger

Loc: PA
I use wood. I have this grill...
http://woodflame.com/en/delecto.php
http://www.snappdragon.com/woodflame-grill-delecto-p-9.html

for my all my grilling, but it is perfect for disasters. It was pricy, but it's the only grill I've ever had, it has lasted for years, and I never pay for fuel or have any concern about storage of fuels, obviously. It gets super hot, sears food and keeps in the moisture.

It uses chunks of hardwood, and has a fan that adds air to the fire box and makes the wood burn very efficiently, powered by either battery or AC adapter. I gather the wood from my backyard (full of hickory & oak trees), saw and hatchet to size. One set of D batteries is enough for a several months of cooking. One handful of wood is enough to cook a meal for 4.

I have taken it camping and on vacation. It's coming with me if I ever have to bug out. I have even used a fresnel lens and dried grass to start the fire in the combustion chamber!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

#155924 - 11/21/08 07:52 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: texasboots]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
You might want to look these over
Propane

and this
Gasoline

Before you choose to store fuel in your home.

Have a nice day.

RIP OBG

#155943 - 11/21/08 10:28 PM Re: Advice on cooking fuel for disaster [Re: jaywalke]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jaywalke
Most estimates I've seen say that it starts to go bad after a year. That said, backpacking stoves are less complicated than engines, and if you know how to clean and maintain your stove you can burn white gas that is much older. My record is five years with no clogging, and only a slight drop-off in performance. Of course, I have no idea how long the stuff had been in the can when I bought it. I wonder if there's a date on the can . . .
I'm still using the gallon can of Coleman fuel that I bought in 1987. It's still going strong. I use it in my MSR Whisperlite and my 1960's vintage two burner Coleman camping stove.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.