Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#155870 - 11/21/08 01:56 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Schwert]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: Schwert
Stainless steel knives can throw sparks just as well as the hacksaw blade IF they are set up properly.

Well, I stand corrected. Now I'm going to have to 'go for a walk' to try it out. Thanks!

#155880 - 11/21/08 02:43 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
How about sharing the broken wrist/thumb story (if you are allowed to) we promise to learn from your experience and not laugh.

Nothing interesting dude.

I was setteled into the new house and decided to lower northern Ontarios deer population one weekend. After getting a nice deer, dressing it, quartering it and strapping it down on the front rack of my ATV I was heading back to my truck when the front wheel caught a nice culvert that collapsed catching the wheel in the rut.
I wasen't going that fast but the sudden stop propelled me out superman style. The way I had my hands on the bars caused my wrist to snap, I am not sure but the fingers may have been the result of the interesting landing. fortunately the Quad didn't flip or it could have been ugly.

It was a short but interesting flight over the handle bars of the ATV. The only reflex action I could manage was to grab what I could during the flight(which was the quartered deer)

As I lay on the ground feeling the bones of my arm grinding together and buried under deer meat I was really greatful that I was alone, as I am sure it looked funny as hell. As I lay there looking into the eyes of the deers severed head a few feet away I could swear it was smiling.

Lessons learned - # 1 be prepared to do first aid on yourself.
# 2 strap deer to AFV in more secure fashion

#155885 - 11/21/08 03:32 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
That's an interesting story, glad to hear about your good luck with the deer, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the quad.

I did almost the exact same thing this year when I was deer hunting. I was driving my quad slowly back to camp (our trails are very rough) and jammed a stump inside the recessed rim of my front right tire. This brought me to a sudden stop and twisted my right hand/thumb off the handlegrip, did not break it but it hurt for a couple days.

I find that if I hit an obstruction with the tire it rolls over it or at least softens the blow, if I hook inside the rim I just stop dead.

Mike

#155905 - 11/21/08 05:58 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Susan]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Susan
Funny thing, though... I've never even heard of a woman carrying a handcuff key. I wonder why that is???
Sue

Because women get arrested at a much lower rate than men, and once in the system they receive lighter sentences for the same crimes.

http://www.nicic.org/Library/022439

It's a part of the struggle for equality that no one seems interested in addressing.

#155916 - 11/21/08 06:53 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Taurus]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Taurus
Even if you stretched it out to a week you should get by without having to fish/hunt. A week without food would suck, but if all I had was what I could fit into a mini kit like the pocket pack I would rather have a ziplock bag and some water purification tabs as opposed to fish hooks and line. good drinking water will always higher on my list of priorities than fishing will be.

Everone has their own way to skin the cat though.

That's what the silver foil is supposed to be for smile

I also have 6 MP-1 tablets in there. I rather tend towards carrying a separate Flexibottle of about 1 litre capacity as I am frankly dublious about the structural integrity of a ziplock. I actually repacked my kit so as to put the items that I expect to need first closest to the zip. It's remarkable just how much extra space that generates.

#155954 - 11/22/08 12:52 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Smash,

Welcome to the Forum Brother.

Yes winter has really arrived in Northern Ontario, I only have about 6 inches of snow but areas around me have a lot more. I spent this morning at work winterizing boats and trying to start/store frozen ATV's, I should have done these jobs a week ago when it was warm!

Mike

#156001 - 11/22/08 04:18 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Schwert]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: Schwert
Stainless steel knives can throw sparks just as well as the hacksaw blade IF they are set up properly.

This morning I used a ferrocium rod to light some tinder piles. I used two knives as strikers, one a normal carbon steel Mora and another knife, marked stainless. I did get fire with both, though I think the Mora threw hotter sparks. It certainly was a brighter flash, not as yellow as the stainless blade. The back of the blade is squared off, not rounded. I don't know what brand the stainless blade is, it looks like a cheap import. The only thing I can think of is what is the stainless blade's alloy? Would that make a difference? I'm pretty sure stainless has carbon in it. Unless I'm mistaken, without carbon it's not 'steel.' I've heard of high carbon stainless. Is there low carbon stainless? Is carbon even necessary? I didn't have any other stainless blades. I guess I'm going to have to buy some stainless Moras, just to try this again.

#156068 - 11/23/08 01:20 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
swamp donkey:

Nice kit, but as I do not know your situation or environment I can not comment on what is overkill or not. I sort of "layer" my EDC. What is actually on me is the barest - and I mean barest - minimum necessary. See. Cut. Signal. Start a fire. And a few bucks, too. It is also configured to attract minimal attention in my urban-suburban every day world (your cell phone pouch works well for that).

Me, I'd loose the fishing kit and the hacksaw blade (the back of a knife blade does the same thing) for EDC and move those things to a "second-tier" carry, such as a briefcase, Day-Timer or daypack. And replace the whetstone with a diamond rod or other dry sharpener. I'd get a bigger compass, too (yours is way easy to loose, and hard to read if you are shivering in the cold), and a better light (I have an Arc AAA-PE).

Other than that, a nice kit. Hope this helps

.....cliff
(like, who else?)

#156102 - 11/23/08 05:06 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
JamesKearns Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada New Brunswick
Very Nice! cool

#156150 - 11/23/08 05:21 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Under those circumstances a decent fishing kit becomes desirable.
How easy would it be to improvise one? I would rather have more safety pins than hooks, on the theory that they could be cut and bent into hooks if necessary, but some of the other fishing items are even smaller and would be harder to improvise.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.