Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#155834 - 11/21/08 01:08 AM Re: Rescue / Self-Rescue Tools [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
After thinking about this a little bit, if I were concerned about having my house come down around my safe room, I might keep something like this in that room. Might come in handy to cut some of the debris away. Goggles, gloves, and a hardhat too...

Why mess around? ;-)

http://www.allhandsfire.com/page/AHF/PROD/FHU-K12-24T

Jeff

Wow. Ya'll are planing on me really needing help. Luckily the door to storm room opens IN so debris falling down won't block the door. Then I only have to make it 3 feet to a window.

Also, FD is two blocks away and know of storm room location. (due both for storms, and ammo stored. told them if burning to let it go) Since I let FD and PD SWAT use my 5th wheel trailer as a back-up CP and place to cool off during big events/training they tend to look out for me and the family.

Once in SWAT (MP SRT) you can always find friends there. Just have to know who to ask.

If I ever get my FAT A%& back in shape may even get back into reserve law enforcement. Shot several times with their snipers, and held my own

RIP OBG

#155835 - 11/21/08 01:10 AM Re: Rescue / Self-Rescue Tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Not for me. Got all I need. Thought others might be interested.

RIP OBG

#155876 - 11/21/08 02:32 PM Re: Rescue / Self-Rescue Tools [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...only have to make it 3 feet to a window..."

Isn't that assuming that the window (and the wall it is in), not to mention the roof and all supports, are still standing, and not in a pile on top of you???

#155886 - 11/21/08 03:43 PM Re: Rescue / Self-Rescue Tools [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

IF it gets that bad, then daylight will probably be visible. (or night)

As the builder, I did several Experiments/Improvements to the structure as tests to start including on customer homes. It is built to advanced seismic codes in conjunction with an engineer from cal tech and hurricane framing code from florida and la tech.

Additionally, I did tremendous amounts of "Green" things before "Green" was WAY COOL MAN, to see if it really was worth the cost to customers.

Between My employees and family I generally have a "test house" every 1 - 2 years. They get free upgrades I want to test, I get to see how it worked long run. (energy bills, foundation movement, etc)

Basically I knew I was going to be here 10 years, so I put it ALL in.

If the doomsday scenario of someone's choice comes, I really think all or part of the structure will be here. (baring nukes and EF 4-5 tornados).

Plus, like I said FD and PD are buds. Will probably be looking for me for 5th wheel any way. If any patrol guys are close, they often stop in during storms. (starting to wonder if I am sheltering them until storm passes so then they can work.)

Biggest trick is not letting the entire neighborhood in on the secret. I just don't have room for everyone. You cannot imagine how fun turning someone away is.

RIP OBG

#155889 - 11/21/08 04:42 PM Re: Rescue / Self-Rescue Tools [Re: Desperado]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Sounds like you have it covered. I do not live in an area where a Tornado is likely so take this question with a grain so salt. Have considered putting an old car or truck jack down there? It could be used to push debris out of the way when used with a post of some sort.

#155951 - 11/22/08 12:31 AM Re: Rescue / Self-Rescue Tools [Re: Yuccahead]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
Sounds like you have it covered. I do not live in an area where a Tornado is likely so take this question with a grain so salt. Have considered putting an old car or truck jack down there? It could be used to push debris out of the way when used with a post of some sort.

Your location shows W. Texas and you say a tornado is not likely? Is this the same Texas that is south of Oklahoma and North of Mexico?

All of Texas is likely to see tornados (except underground), so please be careful.

Yes, I have 2 Hi-Lift Jacks like you see ranchers use building fence.

Thanks for the idea

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 230 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:20 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.