Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#155600 - 11/18/08 01:38 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, Sue, there are some of us who are that crazy, at least used to be, before the "S" got ripped off my chest a couple times. Now I guess I know better. We've built several such IEDs in my youth, but were always at least smart enough to take them out to the dunes far, far away from anyone else and set them off. If the detonating charge didn't do the job, then a well placed AP round would usually do the trick.

We were lucky, and didn't have to learn the hard way, but there were more than a few times I shoulda been blown to smithereens. I can't believe I still have all my fingers, both my eyes, and can still hear reasonably well. God watches over fools sometimes I guess. Blast may be able to attest to this fact better than I.

Of course, none of my creations came anywhere near the sort of explosive demonstrations I got to see in Baghdad. Truly awe inspiring.

I think the biggest explosion we ever came up with was a cratering charge used to make tank traps. That was probably too much for us to be messing with, but that was in the day when you could buy a 50 lb bag of High Nitro fertilizer and a couple gallons of diesel. The hard part was coming up with an adequate detonator. Boy, did that make a hole, though. I think that was bigger than the Tovex/Dynamite blast we did out in the Nevada desert.

#155612 - 11/18/08 02:51 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: snoman]
snoman Offline

So far, all of the news articles I've read on this blast have said that the authorities still have no idea what caused it. Obviously, there was a fuel source. It could have been a properly installed bulk tank that started leaking, it might have been some spare 20 pound tanks stored in a basement corner. No one knows for sure just yet. The reason I started the thread was to remind us all that we need to make sure we store our spare fuel safely.
In reading a story like this one, most will think of the kids that died, a family torn apart, someone's home destroyed, but seeing the photo of it really lets you know how devastating that blast was. That blast cleared that house down to the top of the foundation walls! Can a single 20 pound propane tank do that?
I'm sitting here looking at the photo thinking there's enough space out at the rear of the property for storing fuel, either in a shed or some type of reinforced covered pit that would help contain the blast or, at least, redirect it's energy straight up.

#155613 - 11/18/08 02:52 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
As other have said, its not so much the "storage" of propane, but the "leakage" of propane that causes the problems.

The storage tanks have been around a long time and are well thought-out. Even the house distribution systems are well thought-out - in general. Most propane (and gas) appliances have safety devices that "should" auto-ignite the gas OR that shut off the fuel if a pilot goes out. Note the "should".

Routine appliance inspection & cleaning is a good thing.

Still, with my house running on propane, that does make me think about getting an LP gas detector or two.

BTW, I recall them shooting bullets into propane tanks without real incident on Mythbusters.

#155615 - 11/18/08 03:01 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I can tell you that every one of the fuel containers we shot blew up real good. Maybe it was the steel on steel of the AP rounds going through the container that made sparks or whatever, but it was our goto detonation scheme if the explosive charge (usually a black powder pipe bomb) failed to rupture the container.

BTW, they don't make mushroom clouds when they go off. They usually make big blue or yellow balls o' fire. It's not like an open puddle of gas on the ground; a little pressure and the combustion efficiency goes right up.

#155618 - 11/18/08 03:41 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: snoman]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That is why our home on wheels has a propane detector, a CO detector, and two fire alarms. It is only a year old, but in a few years we will replace all of the flexible lines. If we smell propane, we find out where it is coming from NOW!!!

A BLEVE would "probably" be even worse than this. Most BLEVE's are caused when an entire tank of propane (or other flamable gas), without a functuning "pop" valve, gets heated, usually by fire, to the point that the gas explodes. This was "probably" a case of a leak inside of the structure that met an ignition source. So it might not have been the entire contents of the tank, and the structure "gave" easier than the tank would. Less confinement, less "boom." But still one hell of a boom...

#155625 - 11/18/08 04:23 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
That is why our home on wheels has a propane detector, a CO detector, and two fire alarms. It is only a year old, but in a few years we will replace all of the flexible lines. If we smell propane, we find out where it is coming from NOW!!!

A BLEVE would "probably" be even worse than this. Most BLEVE's are caused when an entire tank of propane (or other flamable gas), without a functuning "pop" valve, gets heated, usually by fire, to the point that the gas explodes. This was "probably" a case of a leak inside of the structure that met an ignition source. So it might not have been the entire contents of the tank, and the structure "gave" easier than the tank would. Less confinement, less "boom." But still one hell of a boom...

Always better with the words than I... well said smile

-Todd

#155627 - 11/18/08 04:47 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
OBG,

According to the LP plumbers I have spoken to about this, you should not need to replace any lines unless they are flexing repeatedly or rubbing with movement of the vehicle.

I also questioned said plumbers regarding the select few homes I have built for customers that use propane due to no natural gas in the area (rural). They advised that no pipe/valve replacement is needed unless there is some outside caused damage.

I will say that the homeowners I have built houses for with LP are getting two things in their Christmas cards this year. 1) a printed copy of the above picture. 2) a gift certificate for a propane detector.

Replacement of the LP detector is a mixed bag. Some say every 5 calendar years, some every 5 years of actual powered on use. Go figure, two "experts" that cannot agree on how long 5 years is.

I mentioned that much of 5 calendar years would be lost on a shelf awaiting purchase unless in a truly sealed container. Stopped in at Camping World and saw that they aren't sealed. That removed one "expert witness" from the courtroom.

As to the BLEVE's, I was told by my brother in law (retired fire fighter) that ther is one "fool proof" method to know if you are too close to a burning LP tank.
Hold you pinky finger at arms length. Using the pinky fingernail as a "front sight" ensure you can cover any sight of said fire scene. If you can see the scene around the edges of the fingernail, you are WAY too close.

RIP OBG

#155633 - 11/18/08 05:58 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...are flexing repeatedly or rubbing with movement of the vehicle..."

Our theory is that with an RV, EVERYTHING is flexing and rubbing all the time. Every time you move a RV it has been described (don't remember where I read this) the same as going thru a 3.2 earthquake. Unless you are driving on CA highways, then it is more like a 6.5. The only flex lines we have are from the regularors to the tanks, don't cost all that much to replace them from time to time. Everything else is ironpipe. We will or course keep an eye on them...

#155647 - 11/18/08 10:02 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Have you tried the gauges that mount between the tanks and the flex line? Some have a "fail safe" mode. I guess the idea is that if too much propane flows at too fast a rate, it shuts off in the gauge. Beats me, but sounds like a good idea, for Class A situation where LP is needed for fridge while traveling. Good luck with shoulder surgery, been there done that on one. delaying the other because that crap HURT.

RIP OBG

#155652 - 11/18/08 11:08 PM Re: Storing propane... [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...Good luck with shoulder surgery, been there done that on one. delaying the other because that crap HURT...."

Tell me 'bout it. I have had the right done twice before, the left once. Major pain for sure. But at least there is a light at the end of that tunnel. As it is now, I hurt all the time, worse at night, surgery is the only way to make it go away...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.