Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155351 - 11/15/08 06:18 PM How Versitle is Your Sleep System?
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
We've got a thread about tents, so let's talk about sleeping bags
I've seen a lot of posts about all the different bags people have in their packs, and a few posts about multi-layer systems that are smaller than the average rolled bag yet suitable for just about any situation.
So what do you sleep in when you camp?

Edited by Erik_B (11/15/08 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#155355 - 11/15/08 07:20 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: Erik_B]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Originally Posted By: Erik_B
So what do you sleep in when you camp?

I always carry an older, thick, Coleman sleeping bag made for approx 30 degree weather. I also always carry a Falsa blanket (bought at a truck stop). I now also carry an inflatable mattress (cheap), a small tarp (cheap), and a foam sleeping pad. This is my basic preference for camping out in Louisiana most of the time.

In colder weather, I will have the tarp down as a floor and folded back into a lean-to. The air mattress under the foam sleeping pad, with the sleeping bag on top of it. I'll have a Falsa blanket, sheet, Falsa blanket, and sheet on top of the sleeping bag with me inside of the bag. This provides great insulation and thus, great sleeping!

If I am using a tent, then I'll use the tarp as a ground sheet for the tent.

I roll up the sleeping bag, Falsa blankets and sheets, lengthwise. I then roll the sleeping bag up inside of the tarp, and strap this under the backpack top flap and tie the ends to each side of the backpack. I roll up the foam pad and strap it to the bottom of the backpack. If I am carrying a tent, I'll strap it to the bottom of the backpack alongside of the foam pad.

I can carry less layers if the weather is warm and I can carry more layers if the weather is cold.

#155356 - 11/15/08 07:27 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I carry a pretty large military style sleeping bag + pad. It is bulkier than I'd have preferred ideally but warm enough for temperatures down to about freezing. I should point out though that I never sleep in a tent so I need a slightly warmer sleeping bag.

A friend of mine just brings along two light sleeping bags when the weather gets colder. Seems to work really well putting one bag inside the other because of the extra insulating layer of air trapped in between.

#155359 - 11/15/08 09:21 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I carry pretty light. I am a warm sleeper and use a Big Agnes Yampa +40 bag. I also use the Big Agnes inflatable sleep pad. With Big Agnes bags the pad slides into a sleeve in the bottom of the bag for two reasons, 1) you don't slide off the pad, 2) there is less loft put into the bottom of the bag to save weight.

If its colder than 40F then I put on more layers of clothes but like I said I am a warm sleeper. I could sleep in long johns, bacalava and wool socks in that bag and be warm to 20F.

In summers with temps guaranteed over 50F I just carry my inflatable a closed cell foam mattress and my 'woobie' (military poncho)

#155367 - 11/15/08 09:55 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: comms]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I use a Western Mountain Bristlecone MF (ambient down to -10 degrees), a military issue poncho liner from US Calvary for hot nights. Also I have a Rivers West H2P Artillery Blanket that benjammin recommended for a little cooler nights but I use it mostly as a ground pad so if the temps start dropping it can be used as a blanket. Definitely a hard core blanket.

Western Mountaineering

Poncho liner
NSN: 8405-00-889-3683

River West

#155377 - 11/15/08 10:48 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: falcon5000]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'm not sure how versatile it is, but here's what I use:

Above roughly 40F:
Marmot Trestles 15 degree sleeping bag (from Campmor.com)
Exped 9DLX Synmat

Below roughly 40F:
Cabelas Summit -20 degree sleeping bag
Wool Socks - or else my feet get cold
Loose synthetic stocking cap
Exped 9DLX Synmat
Cheap closed-cell foam pad under Synmat

#155388 - 11/15/08 11:52 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: KenK]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Backpacking: TNF Big Kazoo down bag, closed cell foam pad, Bibler Bivy, fleece jacket for pillow. Spring and Fall - add lightweight polypro, beanie and socks.

BOB: Just Heetsheets and clothes, silnylon tarp in FL Summer, add cheap, heavily compressed mummy bag for cooler months.

DMAT deployments: Army cot and sleeping bag system, or full twin size air bed, and memory foam pillow.

Jeff

#155395 - 11/16/08 01:23 AM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: Jeff_M]
slader Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
Backpacking: My system is not too versatile, other than having several different bags at home.

Slumberjack Everest: I've had this for 17 years. It's a 3-season bag, but a bit hot in the summer unless I leave it completely unzipped. In the winter months I augment it by slipping another bag inside - a cheap fleece-type sleeping bag or my newer lightweight bag below.

???: I've got a light weight, very compressible bag that I picked up on sale this summer. Definitely a summer-bag only, but it's light and small. Can't remember the make or model right now.

Cabela's Adam and Eve Bag: For car camping with the family. Makes snuggling with the wife so much easier.

BOB: Adventure Medical Kits Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivvies for each member of the family. (I have smaller children, so not everyone is ready to lug a bag around, so the BOB has to fit in two bags - one for a parent and one for the oldest child). Perhaps as the children get older and can carry more we will add heavier duty bags).

As far as pads go, for years I just used the cheep closed cell foam pads. The last few years I decided I'm getting softer. I now have (in addition to the old foam pads) a Therm-a-rest ProLite 4, as well as a Cabela's pad of similar construction. For car camping I take a queen size air mattress (for the Adam and Eve bag). For long term camping with the Scouts I take a Cabela's cot.

#155412 - 11/16/08 03:27 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: Erik_B]
Jakam
Unregistered

For non-vehicle bug out- AMK Bivy bags for the two of us and the 2 person heatsheet. Ridge rest closed cell pads. Tarp and Cord for either shelter or ground. I also have 2 foreign military emergency blankets, thick silver, polyester, I think, I got them years ago from SG but have never seen them since. Kinda overkill but everything light weight enough to accommodate.

For backpacking- Thermo-lite Bivy bags and fleece sleeping bags. Ridge rest pads and Rei Camp Dome Tent w/footprint.

#155413 - 11/16/08 03:31 PM Re: How Versitle is Your Sleep System? [Re: slader]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i was using a down bag on canoe trips for several years but i found that after a couple weeks on the trail they lost their loft...it was like sleeping between sheets of cardboard..the air is so humid around all those lake that even hanging the bag up to air out did not help much..now i just use a middle price poly fill bag and if it's cold..below 40's at nite..i just wear my poly fluff soxs..pants..shirt..
the Thermarest two inch pad is a life saver for older guys like me....i think where i was going with this is where do you plan to use the bag??..if i was out West i would go back to a down bag for the cold-dry climate..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.