Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1550 - 09/05/01 12:07 PM Lighters again
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
I need some good ideas from you guys!<br>I have been reevaluating my outdoor gear, especially my "First aid kit" and the "Repair kit". Now I want to add a gas lighter to both, but I dont know of any good ways to keep the lighters from leaking. Im going to try self-sealing tape (vulcanizing tape) over the gas-button. Does anyone have any other good Ideas?<br>Im having a lighter in the first aid lit to desinfect needles and to heat up a paperclip to puncture blue-blooded nailbeeds. In the repair kit I will use it for melting glue. My idea (not tried) is that liquid epoxy and similar will freeze at -15C and that melting glue still can be used.<br>Both can be used to light a fire in a survival situation.<br><br>Stefan, Sweden<br><br>

#1551 - 09/05/01 06:07 PM Re: Lighters again
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Stefan, I carry a Windmill lighter. I haven't had any problems, but then I haven't exposed it to extremes in altitude or temperature yet. I don't know if they are available in Europe. Lighters can go two ways; quality or quantity. When I took my first ( and last) hot air balloon ride, the 'pilot' looked like a street vendor. He carried no less than 12 disposable BIC lighters in case of burner failure. Thats like backing up a new Volvo with a Yugo and a E. German Trabant. I go with quality!<br><br>

#1552 - 09/07/01 08:17 PM Re: Lighters again
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are worried about gas leakage, I would recommend finding a Bic or Cricket disposable lighter with electronic ignition. In the US, and maybe where you live, these have child safety locks on the buttons that should prevent leakage.<br><br>

#1553 - 09/11/01 01:18 PM Re: Lighters again
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
I have been using a prince pocket torch for more than a year. You may consider it a little bit bulky. But if you need a lighter which does not leak (it has a cap on it and it won't burn unless you remove it, connected with a chain to the lighter), which has a flame lock (a red button, when pushed it gives contunious gas flow) and a plastic stand to put it on when you are doing repairs.<br><br>The flame is jet powered and you may cut through soft metal and hard plastics. The flame jet works without consuming too much gas. You can fill it with ordinary lighter gas. I smoke about 30 cigarettes a day, do few repairs with it sometimes, light BBQs etc. and it lasts about 40 days without refilling. <br><br>you may find a review on http://www.reviewguys.com/202/004.html<br>order one from<br>http://www.hill.u-net.com/flame4.htm in europe<br><br>or just check out from tobacco shops.<br><br>I have used it in extremes (not in high altitude myself but someone else did) without any problem. It easily lights wet wood and you can point it to anywhere without burning anything else. You can use it with the lock on the stand to heat up a paper clip (takes about 5 seconds) leaving both hands free. Excellent for repairs, good flame control.<br><br>If you have the chance try it in a tobacco shop or etc. it is one of the best pieces on my kit.<br><br><br><br>Survive and Protect

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.