For one of the best handles on a machete, I think Meyerco got it right. It's combination of tactile soft rubber and hard polymer in just the right places, and molded around the grip tang with a hard plastic knuckle guard as well is the most ergonomic system I've ever worked with. I have one of their longer machetes with the sawtooth back, and though others here have criticized that design because of the sawtootch cut in the spine creating a weak point in the blade and making it prone to snap off under the right stress, mine has done wonders in the Florida bush. They make another one that is shorter and does not have a sawtooth spine but is quite thick. You could chop wood with that one. Both are made of 420 stainless, and cost $30 retail. You can find better deals if you shop the web. I got one just like mine for a friend who frequently uses a machete in the Florida bush to get to pipelines, meters, valves and other such facilities. He says the Meyerco is the best he's ever used. He has a Tramontina he got for use in Honduran jungles after a hurricane, but will retire it to use this new one I got him. He says it trims palms branches like a knife through butter (I put it on the wheel before I gave it to him).