Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#155173 - 11/14/08 12:40 AM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: ceilignwalrus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
In college, had a lab partner accidentally break a PCB. (He dropped his pack, forgetting it was in the front pocket- crunch.) No time to replace it it, so taped the two parts together as I could from the sides, stripped some wire from the spool in my pack. Licked a gummy bear, rubbed the bits of wire on it so they would be a little sticky so that they wouldn't run away for a minutes or two, put them on the traces. Wrapped the entire thing in electricians tape.

It worked long enough for us to show the prof. Then the professor picked it. Didn't work any more. frown

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#155938 - 11/21/08 09:30 PM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: UTAlumnus]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Holding one of the lenses in my glasses w/ a piece of wire to replace a stripped screw until December 15th.

LOL on a business trip to Oklahoma city, pre 9/11, my glasses leg broke the night before my flight out eary the next morning. So I took off the other side and then pulled the core out of some parachute cored and used one of the strans to lash the outter sheath around the screw post and then tied a slip knot to keep on my head, Looked like one of those fancy eye glass straps. So inpressive some guy on the plane ask where he could get one.
Cheers

#155961 - 11/22/08 01:24 AM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: ]
JeffD Offline
enthusiast
Stranger

Loc: Eastern Ontario Canada
To quote John Prine "Put a penny in a burnt out fuse", but that was along time ago.
Buddy broke an ax handle at camp one year. Used a chunk of 2X4, whittled down by 3 of us, fit great...still hangs in the wood shed for kindling. Whittled with draw knife, folder, and sandpaper. Took us a dozen pops and only 2 band-aids.
And that was a long time ago too.

#155963 - 11/22/08 01:33 AM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: ]
JeffD Offline
enthusiast
Stranger

Loc: Eastern Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Smash
Me Buying Flowers for the lady when I accidently put her green blouse in the washer with my green hunting gear because I think that "it's all the same dammed color anyway"

That was an improvised a quick fix related directly to my survival if ever there was one.

Good to hear from you Smash....flowers are natures organic anti-irritant, post-disaster, pre-hunting trip fixer...and they make the ladies smile..good for you!

#155993 - 11/22/08 03:12 PM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: ceilignwalrus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Friends car blew a radiator hose one day, and of course he had no tools, let alone a spare hose. I walked the shoulder of the really deserted road for a while and found an old V-8 can that looked to be 'bout the right size. Used my Leatherman to remove both ends of the can, and to cut the hose at the break. Slid the can into the ends of the hose, used some wire found in the dirt as a "clamp" on both sides of the cut, poured in some water from our five gallon can (we were on a camping trip, otherwise he would have had no spare water either), and off we went. The patch worked so well he dillydallyed 'bout a month before replacing the hose...

There used to be a story going around about a guy who used a live .22 round as a replacement fuse in his car. Story also said that the round cooked off, the slug (or maybe the case) hitting him where no guy wants to be hit. I don't know if that actually happened or not...

#155998 - 11/22/08 03:50 PM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Like everyone else, had to fix my glasses on a fishing trip. Screw popped out, and fishing line passed through the screw hole, several times, worked great the rest of the week.

#156057 - 11/22/08 11:48 PM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: JeffD]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Similar story as JeffD,

The house I live in now as built by an electrician, he and his family lived in the house for 17 years, then I (should say the Bank, DW and I) bought it. In our first winter I had the gas furnace inspected/serviced and the techniciam found the tin-foil wrapper from a cigarette pack wrapped around a blown fuse in the furnace! The heat exchanger also had a crack in it and I had to replace the entire furnace.

Along the same topic, we could often smell exhaust fumes within the house (we were blaming the new furnace) but could never find the actual source. After a couple of months I discovered that the gas water heater's plastic exhaust pipes were never glue together at the joints, only held together by friction and the fumes were leaking from there.

Two dangerous defects about 4 feet apart in a "new to me" house!

Mike

#156136 - 11/23/08 03:51 PM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: SwampDonkey]
Jakam
Unregistered

I can think of 2-

Night diving about a 1/2 mile off the Oahu coast, the strap for my mask broke, so used my buddy's velcro dive watch band to improvise a strap, and finished the dive. About 10 minutes later, flashlight quit, but had a teenie spare, enough to kick back to shore. I have kept a pass through velcro watch band on my dive watch since.

Driving home from Tombstone, the fan belt broke, we used 6 shoelaces all woven together to replace it. A state highway patrolman stopped, looked at it, said "stranger things have worked", and drove off.

#156148 - 11/23/08 05:12 PM Re: IImprovised Quick Fixes [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I think I can top the house repair story. I went to replace an in the wall gas heater that didn't work in our "new to us" built in 1928 house. When tearing out the wall to remove the flue, I discovered that the installer had used newspaper wrapped around the flue pipe to I insulate it I guess. The paper was all charred and burned to a dark brown. This was inside the wall, between the nice, dry, wooden stud frame with a nice vent to the roof...Heavens knows what would have happened if the heater had still been working. Just one of many so-called "repairs" that the previous owner did around the place that I still find occasionally.

John E.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.