Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154872 - 11/11/08 03:32 AM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Some areas (by county in North Carolina) require you to use a deer stand when hunting with a center fire rifle.

#154882 - 11/11/08 05:04 AM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: UTAlumnus]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
the reasons for tree stands is 1)You see further, and deer tend NOT to look UP
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#154886 - 11/11/08 07:52 AM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: mark161]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: mark161
Martin,

Good words, I am a road deputy and recently had to go searching through the woods for a lost hunter. I received the call around 2100 (9pm) it was cold (38F) and raining off and on. This one does not end well as most do not. It was not because of his fitness level or physical problems, it was his educational level and common sense. He hunted with a tree stand and used a single point harness to make sure he did not fall. Well he did not fall very far just enough for it to constrict his chest where he could not breathe. My official investigation cause of death was positional asphyxia. My night ended around 0430 cold, wet and letting a wife know that the father of her children would not be coming home. If you hunt with a tree stand use a full harness not just a lanyard around your chest and keep your knife on you just in case, (I would rather have a broken leg from cutting myself free then the alternative). His was in the bag on the ground he just lowered.

So in conclusion practice what you will be doing, learn about safety (the suffocation hazard about those harness have been known and advertised), and use a little common sense (knife on you not in bag). Sorry I will get off my soapbox now. As Martin said I do not mind pulling you out of the woods (in any condition), I just do not like having to explain it to your family in the end.

On that subject: If your going to climb or otherwise bugger about with ropes, harnesses and things Get your self down to your local climbing wall/center. Book yourself on to the beginners course and learn how to do it properly.

#154896 - 11/11/08 01:36 PM Re: Hello Yuppies. Please listen up... [Re: MartinFocazio]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Out here in the sticks we have that same negative thought about yuppies.

I replaced your word "HUNTERS" with "JAMES KIM" and I reread the article.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#154902 - 11/11/08 03:15 PM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I've never understood treestands.
In my deer hunting experience, I never saw one in any trees.

me either

#154926 - 11/11/08 06:07 PM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: KG2V]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
That would apply to all hunters. The reason it's required only for center fire rifles is the muzzle velocity. The coastal areas are relatively flat & a miss can go a long way compared to buckshot, slugs, & blackpowder. You're already shooting toward the ground hunting from a tree stand.

#154938 - 11/11/08 07:28 PM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I've never understood treestands.
In my deer hunting experience, I never saw one in any trees.

Tree stands were best utilized by a dedicated goup of primitive hunters in upstate NY. Gravity played a big role in their hunting strategy. Feeling that other self-styled primitive hunters- archers, black powder enthusiasts, crossbow persons-had strayed form the cause of true primitivism by adopting in-line shotgun primer ignition systems and multiple geared compound leveraged bows, these doughty folk chose to return to the roots of primitive hunting. They hid in trees, dropped down on passing deer and throttled them with their bare hands. The most dedicated hunted unclothed, though this did present some challenges in wearing the hunting license back tag required by state law. Fortunately, the naked hunters found that the game wardens tended to avoid them anyway, so it never became a problem. As in all primitive pursuits, the movement evolved to tolerate increasing technological "improvement", as hunters began using sharpened sticks, rocks, manufactured tree stands, and, ultimately, clothing. This gutted the core principles of the movement, and it gradually faded away. Mostly. Adirondack deer hunters still occasionally report seeing naked folk perched on branches deep in the wilderness preserve, but the stories are generally dismissed as deer camp legends, or just some of the guys from Fort Drum doing their cold weather survival exercises.

#154946 - 11/11/08 09:06 PM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: nursemike]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
HAHAHA, Outstanding laugh

#154949 - 11/11/08 09:22 PM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: MartinFocazio]
snoman Offline

I agree with dressing for an unexpected night out, though I'm thinking if the guy doesn't want to spend the money on a GPS have him at least buy a cheap whistle and maybe a strobe light.

#154981 - 11/12/08 02:07 AM Re: Hello Hunters. Please listen up... [Re: snoman]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
That's awesome nursemike.

I don't hunt, but when I hike in the woods or anywhere near the woods around hunting season I wear a blaze orange hat.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.