Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#154695 - 11/09/08 04:18 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Another 'experienced' hiker. I guess if you can put one foot in front of another without falling over, you're an experienced hiker.

No appropriate clothing with rain forecast. Apparently no firemaking gear. Not enough sense to stop before dark. No enough sense to stop after it was dark.

Dumb as a couple of stumps.

Cynical Sue

#154698 - 11/09/08 04:54 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: Susan]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I'm not quite as cynical as Sue but after reading that story, wow. Calling them stumps is an insult to stumps.

I'm sure that some of you have heard about how experience is counted, to some people having a years experience and simply repeating it allows them to claim "20 years of experience in X,Y, or Z..." in this case it sounds more like about one days worth of "experience" repeated over the course of 20 years.

How does an "experienced" hiker go to a hike without a light? Without a compass? Without apparently any freakin common sense?

The saddest part is that if these two brainiacs had died, I have no doubt that their obits would read something like this, " Mountain claims the lives of 2 experienced hikers..."

Unfreakinbelievable...the only bright side, it keeps the local SAR teams up on their training and provides job security for EMT's like me.

John E.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#154709 - 11/09/08 03:24 PM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: JohnE]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
somewhere along the line we seem to have given up on self-reliabilty in favor of relying on others to save us from ourselves.

hopefully that's his wake-up call to start doing the things he should have been doing all along.

i wouldn't say he's experienced - i'd say he's been lucky.

#154869 - 11/11/08 02:59 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: MDinana]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
Well, now they have the experience to say that they are experienced hikers. So far, as someone pointed out they have been lucky.

Until you have felt the sick feeling in your gut that now you are in trouble, you cannot claim to be experienced.

#154887 - 11/11/08 08:35 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: BOD]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Another article here. Not much new information, unless you read through the comments section where one of the lost hikers in the article gives a bit more detail

Not sure what to think of this one. I have been hiking on that trailhead, but not the exact trail they were on though. Even starting at 9, their route to Sugarloaf peak is about 4 miles give or take, and the Peak is probably less than a mile from the road (straight line). And the while the weather changes fast,I don't understand the part about throwing stones in order to make your way down. Visibility would have to be absolutely zero to do something like that.

However, I did know a SAR friend who used to work that area, and out of all the areas in those mountiains, he specifically mentioned Ice House canyon was one of most common areas for rescue. Not the main Baldy trail that most people use. I think it's probably a combination of easy access for everyone and what looks like a easy dayhike, but with rapidly changing weather and extremely difficult terrain. If you stay on the trails it's not bad, but once you leave the trail and start going cross country you could be some serious trouble. I know I've tried it once, and it's not something I plan on repeating.

Were they experienced and just unlucky this one time? Or maybe they're inexperienced and just been lucky every other time? It's hard to say, because even the most experienced hiker runs out of luck at some point. After reading this article, it gave me the motivation to finally go out and buy the AMK HeatSheet Bivy. Really i just use this as an excuse, I was gonna buy it anyway. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
18 minutes 58 seconds ago
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.