Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154032 - 11/02/08 11:37 PM Re: ATAX [Re: airballrad]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I owned an ATAX, and I've handled the tracker, Spetznaz survival tool and the late Chris Janowsly's Ranger ( a VERY interesting knife.)

They all share one very salient feature; they are either out of production,no longer imported or prhibitiively expensive.

I'll stick with my woodburner autographed Mors Kochanski Mora.

#154038 - 11/03/08 12:30 AM Re: ATAX [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've handled one of the older ones. Wasn't convinced. Not a fan of holes in knife blades, even less so in axes, so the wrench is a down check for me. It's light for an axe, to me it felt more like an ulu dressing up and trying to be an axe head. In either case, I found the grip clumsy, which made it more risky to use than a normal knife. The arrow launching thing, IMO, is gimicky. The inclinometer is something who's use I just kinda wonder about, and the spindle is worthless to me. I've been trying to make a bow drill work for about 20 years- notice I say trying. :P

I've tried the Tracker. Wasn't convinced there, either. It felt like an itty bitty hatchet, but with a draw knife for a shaft, so you can't really choke up on it for fine work, and made it harder than I would have liked for using the saw. And the finger grips are in the wrong spot for my hand size, but my small hands have the same problem with a lot of finger grooves.

The other problem is the cost. A nice hatchet can be had for less than $60. A good 4"-7" knife runs under $70. And a Vic Huntsman with a pair of small pliers or a decent multi with a saw (eg LM Juice Cs4) goes around 40-45. So for less than the cost of an Atax or Tracker, I've got better tools that actually do their job well, as well as a couple of screw drivers for fixing my gear, a pair of scissors, pliers, and a back up knife blade or two. Yes, it is a little heavier, but it also means that if Miss Fortune steals ONE of your tools, you aren't out everything. And if you need to replace it, you aren't on a months long waiting list.

And with the $20-30 I've saved, I'll add a ferro rod, a spool of dental floss, a few fishhooks and sewing needles, a bit of wire, a whistle, some aluminum foil, a vial of cotton balls and a heatsheet. Of course, I could spend $20 on a Mora, and add a flashlight, mirror, duct tape, a water bottle, and a vial of PA tabs. *grins* Which one is a better usage of $200 dollars?

BTW, welcome to ETS, I'm the same Ironraven you've seen in other places.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154049 - 11/03/08 02:47 AM Re: ATAX [Re: ironraven]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

People who invest $300 +- in a exotic 300 use tool are passionate about their choice. It's usually because some idiot is out there doing the same stuff with a $30 tool.
People are free to post opinions, and there will be no censorship based on actual possession.
I've seen far more uncomplimentary comments online from knifemakers over other's unseen work.
Own one, like it? Fine. At day's end we all crawl into our own Wiggy bags, no room for others to debate it's insulation.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/03/08 02:50 AM)

#154054 - 11/03/08 03:13 AM Re: ATAX [Re: ironraven]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
My brother was the gun guy in the family-everything from an M-1 carbine in .218 Zipper to a marlin lever action in .444 Marlin. But occasionally he came home with an edged weapon, and on one occasion it was a Skatchet. Strange little item, hind of a hammer-ulu crossbreed. The finish was surprisingly good, and it would cut, and chop, and hammer modestly well. It felt sort of good to hold, and made a satisfying weight on your belt, but it was hard to see it as a replacement for things that were actually designed to do each job. De gustibus non est disputandum.

#154056 - 11/03/08 03:20 AM Re: ATAX [Re: ]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: molawns
I own 2 ATAXes. They're worth every penny!

It's like an outdoorsman's version of the multi-tool. Way lighter than carrying a full sized ax with you.

I use the built-in spindle bearing exclusively for every fire I start using the bow drill method.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but with review of the video and practice, it's become my "go-to" knife for woods use.

Questions welcomed. I have no direct affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

I have to admit, it looked pretty ridiculous to me. However, if you like it that much, and it really is that useful, I would love to see a comprehensive review from you with pictures.

I've been wrong before, I'll be the first to admit.

#154060 - 11/03/08 04:41 AM Re: ATAX [Re: sodak]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

With TWO Ataxes you can lash them to your boots with paracord and skate across frozen lakes.

$250 for a domestic kukhri, without a sheath? The maker may want to invest some of that $250 in something besides a cotton tshirt, jeans and baseball cap for woodsmanship.

#154061 - 11/03/08 04:51 AM Re: ATAX [Re: sodak]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i recall when the Skatchet first came out..60's??..i thought it was the ultimate in survival gear..well i was young..about that time that first big wave in survival and gear seemed to be passing thru..i still have a couple of those big paperbacks loaded with photos that covered every angle from loading the car for desert travel to building a fallout shelter..these waves of interest seem to bring out new and better multi-tools..if anyone is at a loss for something to post a few photos of what you have would be of interest..

#154067 - 11/03/08 11:52 AM Re: ATAX [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I don't have any experience with the ATAX, not even seen one live, so I can't comment on how well it does what it says it does.

But I do have a concern with the whole idea of the "one tool does everything" idea. It could lead you into a false sense of security and cause you to rely only on having that tool. What happens if you lose it/break it? You just lost all or most of your tools.

IMO, a group of individual tools is safer; lose/break one, and you still have the others.

#154084 - 11/03/08 02:50 PM Re: ATAX [Re: bws48]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Well, that's an argument against multi-tools as well.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#154099 - 11/03/08 04:04 PM Re: ATAX [Re: Rodion]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, yes and no. A good multi tool is capable of incorporating particular elements that are at par with an equivalent single use feature, such as the knife blade, the pliers, the scissors, the bottle opener. The idea behind a good multi tool is that the parts that make it up are designed to be as good as, and in some cases better than, what you would find discretely. For a 3" pocketknife lock blade, my Leatherman Wave is arguably as good as any other knife blade I can put in my pocket right now. It will do the same job at least as good as any other 3" folding lockblade I can find. Same with the serrated blade. I discovered long ago that the pliers on it work just as good as the electrical pliers I was using before, and I could cut and strip wire, hold parts while soldering, and undo nuts and bolts just as easily with it as with any other pair of pliers of equivalent size and shape. The screwdriver tips were probably the biggest compromise for functionality. Despite this, I ended up using the Wave's screwdriver tips more often because they were still good enough to get the job done and more convenient.

It is most likely due to the functions around which the multi-tool is designed and some good engineering development that make a multi-tool such as my Wave less of a compomise than what the ATAX and skatchet appear to be.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.