Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154072 - 11/03/08 01:20 PM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a payment [Re: unimogbert]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: unimogbert

Perhaps you really mean "Don't fill out credit applications at multiple dealerships?"

Pay cash. It drives them crazy.

All this consumer credit behavior is people agreeing to be sharecroppers. They work while the CC company gets a share of the harvest.

Better still, save your money until you have enough to buy the car for cash.
Negotiate like mad, set a price, get them to write it down on a sales contract.

Then, when they come to the "ok, so how will be pay for this?" point, whip out your American Express card, and watch the color drain from their face.

Argue - strenuously - that they MUST accept Amex as payment for anything they sell, per the terms of their Merchant agreement. When they deny this is so, pull a copy of the Amex Merchant agreement out of your backpack, with the pertinent section highlighted.

Go back to the service area, and have the cashier run the transaction for $32,413.43, have it go through, sign the receipt, and then enjoy the 32,413 Amex Member Rewards Points to take your wife on a free flight to Disney.

Well, at least that's what I did.

#154122 - 11/03/08 05:59 PM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a payment [Re: MartinFocazio]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
What if the dealer doesn't accept American Express for anything?

Just kiddin...you're absolutely right, arrive at a price before you tell them how you're gonna pay for it. The problem is that the salespeople are SO good at working things like that into the conversation, you find yourself giving them more info than you planned on.

Same goes for trade ins, establish the value of the trade in before you set the price for the new car.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#154162 - 11/03/08 10:54 PM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a payment [Re: Arney]
LED Offline
Veteran

After every credit card commercial they should play a little Tennessee Earnie Ford.

"You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store"

#154165 - 11/03/08 11:21 PM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a paym [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
It happen to me when I went to buy my car.

Izzy, are you sure that it wasn't actually your 10th cousin's best friend's girlfriend's nephew's neighbor giving you a thumbs down reference? whistle

Just kidding. I've heard the "too many credit checks" advice, too. But as a point of clarification, you can check your own credit history as much as you want without it counting against you. Just be careful of how many businesses you let run your credit in a relatively short period of time.

#154166 - 11/03/08 11:23 PM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a paym [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Another thing you might want to keep in mind is....each time you check your credit? Your score goes down 15-30 points. Often as far as "credit" goes the more checks someone has that means they might be trying to buy a lot of stuff. That's why you should NEVER EVER shop at mulitiple car dealerships for a car. Each time you go in they check your credit and by the time you find a car you like at the fourth or fifth lot...your scores down 100 points for the next year.

Perhaps you really mean "Don't fill out credit applications at multiple dealerships?"

All this consumer credit behavior is people agreeing to be sharecroppers. They work while the CC company gets a share of the harvest.

No, no. I mean if you go to multiple lots and tell them you're interested in a car, each place runs a credit check on you. Most places don't even let you test drive the car without a credit check, insurance check and a call to the DMV and your 10th cousins best friend's girlfriends nephew's neighbor for a reference. In the end by the time you go to the final dealership, or whichever one you decide to go to buy from your credit rating sucks. The more "checks" that are done the lower your credit goes because it operates on the system that if you're getting checked often then you are making large purchases and might be a risk. It happen to me when I went to buy my car.

When I was living in Indiana a few years back 99-01 (there abouts), I was in need of a new car and didn't have to do anything to get a test drive. Went to several dealerships and ended up with an olds (yeah yeah... old man's car - but great for commuting!) mainly cause of customer service. I must of test drove 12 cars over the course of the weekend and most time alone till settled on the alero. Took all the cars on the highway for 20 mins since I was going to clock alot of hours on the road then.

Even had the same place do the service on the car for a few years... even if I wasn't living in the same city. I would try to schedule some time in that area. They took very good care of me.

#154172 - 11/03/08 11:37 PM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a paym [Re: ]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

No, no. I mean if you go to multiple lots and tell them you're interested in a car, each place runs a credit check on you.

Never once happened to me. Never. I go in, I say, "I want to drive THAT."

I've never given more than my first name, I show that I have a driver's license, I don't let them touch it.

#154195 - 11/04/08 01:03 AM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a paym [Re: ]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Another thing you might want to keep in mind is....each time you check your credit? Your score goes down 15-30 points. Often as far as "credit" goes the more checks someone has that means they might be trying to buy a lot of stuff. That's why you should NEVER EVER shop at mulitiple car dealerships for a car. Each time you go in they check your credit and by the time you find a car you like at the fourth or fifth lot...your scores down 100 points for the next year.

No, no. I mean if you go to multiple lots and tell them you're interested in a car, each place runs a credit check on you. Most places don't even let you test drive the car without a credit check, insurance check and a call to the DMV and your 10th cousins best friend's girlfriends nephew's neighbor for a reference. In the end by the time you go to the final dealership, or whichever one you decide to go to buy from your credit rating sucks. The more "checks" that are done the lower your credit goes because it operates on the system that if you're getting checked often then you are making large purchases and might be a risk. It happen to me when I went to buy my car.

That is not true. Multiple credit checks do not always lower your credit score. There is a difference between a hard pull and a soft pull.

There is some info in this thread that is just plain wrong. A good place to go for questions on all credit related questions is www.creditboards.com

#154230 - 11/04/08 03:09 AM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a paym [Re: harstad]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: harstad
There is some info in this thread that is just plain wrong. A good place to go for questions on all credit related questions is www.creditboards.com

As far as Izzy's point about credit checks that are run to just get a test drive, this CreditBoards thread says that car dealerships can only do hard pulls, which do affect your credit score. Well, at least no one posted in that thread that dealerships only do soft pulls for test drives. I've never read CreditBoards before this, but my understanding from past reading was that car dealers always do hard pulls as well.

#154243 - 11/04/08 05:18 AM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a paym [Re: Arney]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Hard pulls affect you, barely, and if you do them all in 1 week it's not affecting you like 1 per-week. They get `lumped`, and your score won't go down 5x if you get 5 checks.

When I got my truck a few years ago the 1 dealership shopped around and I had 5 checks from 5 different places in 1 day, my credit maybe dropped 5 points.

If you have a house, have a car, why do you need 800pts credit score anyway.. I mean 720 is just as good most of time at any place.

#154273 - 11/04/08 06:14 PM Re: Worse credit score without even missing a paym [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I mean if you go to multiple lots and tell them you're interested in a car, each place runs a credit check on you. Most places don't even let you test drive the car without a credit check, insurance check and a call to the DMV and your 10th cousins best friend's girlfriends nephew's neighbor for a reference.

I've never had that happen. Any dealer that wants anything more than driver's license or insurance to test drive a car (especially credit info) will be watching me leave the lot with no sale.

As others have said: set the price then talk payment. It's nice to be able to write the check sitting in their office but not always possible. I managed it on the last one two years ago but if I had to do it again today, I'd have to set the price & call the bank.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.