The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#153850 - 10/31/08 04:09 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: ]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX

It's like buying lottery tickets.. if the odds are 1:1,000,000 to win, if you buy two tickets, you don't get 1:500,000 odds, you get 2 tickets, each for 1:1,000,000 odds.

Actually, it is. You buy 2 tickets, your odds of winning are now 2:1,000,000, which is 1:500,000. That's why I always buy multiple tickets if I'm playing laugh It would be completely different if you bought one ticket each week for two weeks.

To calculate the risk of flooding, you have to look at the chances of NOT flooding, which is 99%. To go 50 years without a flood is .99^50, or about 60%. That means you have about a 40% chance of a flood in any of those 50 years. I think. It's been a while so my math is fuzzy. If you really want to know probabilites and statistics, the best people to ask aren't statisticans, ask a gambler. They're like human statistic calculators.

Anyway, I think that's drifting away from the original point. One thing that isn't factored into the risk assesment is the severity of the consequences. Two families might both have the same risk of power outages, but if one is in northern Canada in the middle of winter, they have more to worry about than someone living in California.

#153855 - 10/31/08 05:03 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: ducktapeguy]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Actually, it is. You buy 2 tickets, your odds of winning are now 2:1,000,000, which is 1:500,000. That's why I always buy multiple tickets if I'm playing It would be completely different if you bought one ticket each week for two weeks.

If your single lottery ticket has say 49 numbers and the winning number sequence is 6 numbers in length the odds of winning are 49!/((49-6)! x 6!) = 13,983,816 to 1 odds.

If a second lottery ticket is purchased with a different winning sequence then all that has happened is that you have purchased another 6 number sequence reducing your odds to (49!/((49-6)! x 6!))-1 = 13,983,815 to 1 odds

If the aim was to get a 5 number winning sequence from 49 numbers then the odds of winning are 49!/((49-5)! x 5!) = 1,906,884 to 1 odds

Actually what you are better of doing is ensuring that if you place a single line i.e. a single $1 bet with odds of say 13,983,816 at least make sure the winning pot of money total is actually greater than the probability of winning and then only placing just the single 1$ bet. i.e. if the pot rolls over.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/31/08 05:09 PM)

#153859 - 10/31/08 06:59 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: 7point82]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"IMHO every able bodied male should own one in order to come to the defense of those less able to take care of themselves. They (guns) are just one of the tools that I think every man should own."

OH... REALLY ???!!!

And what about the other half of the population?

What happens if DaddyO isn't home?

Please allow me to embellish your statement a bit:

IMHO every able bodied person over the age of 10 should own, and be trained in the use and safety of, a firearm, so they can take care of themselves and those who set their weapon down to fix dinner or change a tire.

HOWZAT?

Sue

#153882 - 11/01/08 12:25 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: jaywalke]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: jaywalke

This seemed fuzzy to me. Thankfully, I work in a research institute, and there is a world-class mathematician sitting one office away who was willing to take a look at it.

I am a statistics major but rusty....that is why I asked if the original post was modeled on a Poisson distribution..can you ask your colleague if that is what he did?

Thanks

#153884 - 11/01/08 12:59 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: Susan]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Susan
OH... REALLY ???!!!

You go, girl! I've always considered the females of our species to be potentially far more dangerous than the males, given the proper motivation.

Jeff

#153888 - 11/01/08 02:06 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: Jeff_M]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
OH... REALLY ???!!!

I've always considered the females of our species to be potentially far more dangerous than the males, given the proper motivation.

Jeff

PMS??????

Edited by BobS (11/01/08 03:41 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#153896 - 11/01/08 11:31 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: Susan]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
"IMHO every able bodied male should own one in order to come to the defense of those less able to take care of themselves. They (guns) are just one of the tools that I think every man should own."

OH... REALLY ???!!!

And what about the other half of the population?

What happens if DaddyO isn't home?

Please allow me to embellish your statement a bit:

IMHO every able bodied person over the age of 10 should own, and be trained in the use and safety of, a firearm, so they can take care of themselves and those who set their weapon down to fix dinner or change a tire.

HOWZAT?

Sue

Yes... REALLY!!! grin

I knew (unfortunately) that someone would take my statement as a comprehensive statement of who should/shouldn't own a firearm and let it get under their skin. It was not meant in that way and I certainly did not want to offend anyone but (to be perfectly honest) I get tired of trying to make everything so PC as not to offend anyone on the planet.

Susan, I apologize if the statement bothered you. It was not meant in the way you received it.

I'll crawl back under my rock now since I am obviously not cut out for online conversations.

#153906 - 11/01/08 02:07 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: BobS]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: BobS
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
OH... REALLY ???!!!

I've always considered the females of our species to be potentially far more dangerous than the males, given the proper motivation.

Jeff

PMS??????

Think finding yourself between a sow Grizzly and her cubs. Or Shakespeare. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

Jeff

#153907 - 11/01/08 02:25 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Actually what you are better of doing is ensuring that if you place a single line i.e. a single $1 bet with odds of say 13,983,816 at least make sure the winning pot of money total is actually greater than the probability of winning and then only placing just the single 1$ bet. i.e. if the pot rolls over.

My ROI (return on investment) in lottery tickets is immediate. I just enjoy the fun of thinking about winning. It's a way to daydream away a long, boring drive, for example. I have zero expectation of actually winning.

Jeff

#153920 - 11/01/08 04:14 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: BobS]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: BobS
[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
...snip...skiing down a mountain at high speeds, ...snip...

Heh - he wasn't even going that fast, he was just unlucky, or sking over his head (ow, bad pun, but I'll leave it)

I used to downhill - only local club racing, but still. 60+MPH on skis is "fast" One day (the year after my worst fall) I was sking along at the fastest part of the run, and the little voice inside my head said "this is nuts", and I came up out of the crouch - the coach said he knew it was over for me at that instant

(BTW - worst fall - went down at 60MPH, and bounced for at least 100 yds - the called for a litter before I stopped bouncing! I walked away, I was VERY luck I didn't hit anything, but slid straight down the middle of the run. Nothing broken, but I think the only parts of me that weren't black and blue the next day were the soles of my feet, and my eyelids)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 639 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.