The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153796 - 10/31/08 01:33 AM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: kd7fqd]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
My EDC watch only matches a few of your criteria but I like it. It's a titanium Swiss Army model. Metal band w/clasp. Battery operated but I've only gone thru 3 in the 7 or 8 years I've owned it. Keeps very good time. Has a date feature but no day. My only complaint is that whatever they use for the glow in the dark feature has finally stopped working.

I mainly got it cause I liked the idea of a titanium watch and I needed a sweep second hand for my work, easier to take a pulse with that then with a digital in my opinion.

Can't recall what I paid, maybe $200.00?

Still in very good condition but the band could use some time in the ultrasound cleaner.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#153812 - 10/31/08 03:11 AM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: Andy]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

looks like you will need a self winder to meet "want #2"..
the web is filled with watch sites so i would look for that as my main search..i like a band that straps on tight..at the bottom
of Lac La Croix near Gull Rock is my Seko--all i did was reach forward and the clasp on the metal band popped open and off it went..now i don't wear in on my wrist but put it thru a shirt pocket button hole..some people think a watch is just "fluff" in a survival kit list but we are so used to knowing what time it is that it becomes a psychlogical lift to have it handy..wake up in the dark and cold--how long untill dawn???..it's nice to know..sorry i went away from your questions on this---outside of a cheap military repo that go's on canoe trips my only other watch is one with a true 24 hour face..one sweep of the big hand in 24 hours..at my last job we kept track of everything in the 24 hour system and a watch that showed me that was easy to use.

#153826 - 10/31/08 11:37 AM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
If you like, I can take a look at some watch stores here on island (live in the Caymans, and have tonnes of jewerly and watchs to choose from). Everything from the cheap to the very expensive.

I can go tomorrow and report back what I can find. That way, you can have some direction on what to get. I have some buddies that are sales people, so after 10 mins I can probably have 10 models that fit what your after.

PM me if this interests you.

#153858 - 10/31/08 06:40 PM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: Andy]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
i know it's nothing like what you are enquiring about but i bought the cheapest casio digital i could find (8 pounds in the uk) last week as i'm planning on a us shopping trip next year to get a super one.
it's only supposed to be 'water resistant' but i wear it in the shower daily with no ill effects and it's made me realise the gadget strewn watches i usually get, all just have additional features that i never use. i might just stick with it.
The Sock

#153866 - 10/31/08 08:27 PM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: TheSock]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I have a $30 Timex. It tells the time and it lights up. A compass thing would have been a nice touch, but that would have required another $10 outlay.

#153889 - 11/01/08 02:30 AM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: Andy]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I bought the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical last year. It's a nice simple flieger military type of watch (a remake of the WWII American military watch for the movie Pearl Harbor) it has a manually-wind 2804 ETA Swiss movement and is water resistant to 50 meters.

It's very comfortable on my wrist and the dial couldn't be more readable.

I scratched the case (not the sapphire crystal) with the back of my Spyderco Delica while removing my pants and can't polish it since it's sandblasted (I could give it a new polish finish but won't bother).

During the night I lay it upside down (crown left) so it is slower and that way it's almost as accurate as a quartz watch.

I wanted to buy a Jürgen made in Germany leather strap with Bund pads. They have Chicago screws to attach the straps on old fixed bar military watches. But haven't got around to order it yet.

Frankie

#153891 - 11/01/08 03:59 AM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: Andy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I own a citizen eco drive. Not sure the model but its a stainless steel band, gold version of their dive watch. It looks like Rolex face.

I am not a fan of the little chronograph dials inside a face. To small for me to read.

i won't wear it outdoors for hiking or rough housing. Its plenty sturdy but my outdoor watches must have a back light or constant glowing hands.

I am a big fan of Luminox watches for that very reason. Luminox has a treated face so you never need to push a backlight or bemoan dials that fade out after 20 minutes in the dark.

http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?/site/technology

#153895 - 11/01/08 10:47 AM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: comms]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I will give a +1 on the Luminox. Had mine for close to 10 years now. Same original battery. Trits are at half life, glow is still "bright" in the dark, but very subdued in twilight/dim light but more than enough to see it. I have the titanium divers, water proof to 200m with the titanium band. I will switch out the band with a martec nylon one if I'm going to "abuse" it, just more secure that way. Don't have to worry about the casp getting caught and popping open. No scratches on the saphire face, and I work in a warehouse wearing the watch daily. Pleanty of light scratches on the body, bezel and bracelet. The price you pay for the lighter weight titanium.

-Bill Liptak

#153919 - 11/01/08 03:55 PM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: BillLiptak]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

It's a much simpler watch, but for no nonsense EDC I swear by the British issue CWC G10 watch. Very nearly bulletproof, no frills and extremely accurate. It doesn't have any of the more advanced functions but as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have it any other way...

#153931 - 11/01/08 05:58 PM Re: Watch recommendations wanted [Re: Tom_L]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
This is the Casio PAG80 series, I own the one on the right. From the website: Black Pathfinder Solar Triple Sensor featuring Tough Solar, Digital Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer and many other great tools to keep you moving. Resin Band.The other two have different bands. One is Titanium & the other Leather. Not cheap at around $250, but it sure is a robust & functional watch. I think it fits most if not all of your needs. I'm sure it could be found online at a more reasonable price. I got mine as a christmas gift last year. I highly recommend it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 617 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.