Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#153708 - 10/30/08 01:58 AM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I gave a similar response in a travel question a week or so ago. Standard disclaimers apply, and please forgive my spelling of various drugs:

I carry Ibuprophen for gneral aches and pains. It works for me, as well as working as a good fever reducer and anti-inflamatory. I also like that the toxic dose is significantly higher than the theraputic dose. If I get confused and take an extra dose too soon it is unlikely to cause me great harm. Too much acetomenophen scares me.

I use Aleve/naproxin too, but I find it less useful. I made the mistake of taking it on an empty stomache once, and it's not something I'll ever do again. Not a problem with ibuprophen. That said, when my back is really messed up, the 12-hour dosing sure is convenient. For heavy duty pain, I keep some legally perscribed percocet in my kits.

Benedryl has way too many uses not to bring it along. Aside from being great for allergies, it is useful as a sleeping pill and to prevent motion sickness.

I guess if you really need it, immodium does the trick reasonably well, but the few times I've used it, it's been really unpleasant. I do find pepto bismol chewables to be useful and not terribly unpleasant to take.

I've got little experience with the others. One word of warning - if you get sudden pain in a joint, especially around your big toe, stay away from the aspirin. I recently discovered I'm prone to gout, and aspirin makes it much worse. Another mistake I will not be repeating.

#153710 - 10/30/08 03:06 AM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
Jakam
Unregistered

My two cents as a former infusion pharmacy manager and chronic over-analyzer and over-preparer-

1) Regardless of OTC med preferred, and your own physiology will tell you, as the prior posts show, keep it in its original packaging whenever possible- the drug makers know if it needs cotton to keep it dry and unbroken, or if blister packs maintain freshness, etc., and, in these trying times, airport and customs folks question any "unidentifiable meds". Plus, in trying times, like when you may be manic for relief, you won't make a mistake by misremembering or by ingesting improperly labeled meds.

2) Analgesics in general have an adverse effect on your liver if combined with alcohol. Advil makers dispute this, but keep that in mind. Combining Advil and Tylenol is fairly common as they do offer different relief modalities. Aspirin therapy has become so common that you can now buy the smaller dose recommended for stroke and heart "prevention". And the reason it is sold that way is because many folks do have stomach issues with different analgesics in larger doses. So always keep track of your "dose".

3) Studies show that although superglue can be useful in emergencies, it can also irritate the skin, kill cells and cause other side effects, particularly when used on deep wounds.
There is a safer alternative. In 2001, the Food and Drug Administration approved a similar, antibacterial form of the substance called 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate, which is marketed as Dermabond. I'm sure it costs more.

4)Know the source of your gastric distress, and if chronic, seek advice. Pepcid chewables (Pepcid Complete) give you both short term and long term relief. We often introduced Pepcid into infusion bags to counter the effects of drugs that cause some heartburn or gastric distress (on a doctor's orders, of course, which the pharmacists would often seek since they knew the side effects intimately). But if the other products offer relief, use them, naturally, and watch your dosage over time, 24 hours being a good indicator.

5) Same with Immodium- know why you're experiencing the "runs", and let them run(no pun intended)their course if possible, unless chronic, and follow package directions, including replacing those fluids quickly.

6) Often our patients experienced a reaction to the medication they were infusing, and Benadryl in oral form was the first line of treatment that the nurses and pharmacists monitoring the infusion administered, effective,oh,let's say, greater than 60% of the time. So again, knowing if it is an allergic reaction helps you self prescribe, but if in doubt, these medical professionals always fell back on the Benadryl first, before seeking other relief methods or stopping the infusion altogether.

7) Motion sickness is, I know you all know this, inner ear related, so again, make sure your "mal de mar" is indeed motion activated and not more serious. The Dramamine or Bonine won't hurt, and you should take it before the event for best results. I experienced extreme motion sickness scuba diving, and learned to take a dose the night before and then a half tab before getting on the boat, on a full stomach(my brother was a commercial fisherman and used this method on the first trip out each season while he got his sea legs). After a few concurrent dives, I would acclimate, but nothing like blowing chunks in your regulator and chumming the water to make you look for relief. Bonine always made me less drowsy but didn't always last as long.

5) Caffeine used to be a common first step for chronic migraine sufferers before the new drugs came out, as was oxygen therapy at high liter flows for short periods ( such as, 10 liters for 15 minutes). So if no other alternative, and depending on your pre-existing level of caffeine intake (creating resistance and thus requiring larger doses), perhaps effective. Caffeine, that is, oxygen requires a prescription.

Sorry, long winded, hope this helps!

#153725 - 10/30/08 06:22 AM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: ]
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

Thanks nursemike for the specific answers, and everyone else for the recommendations and anecdotes.

It's certainly true that professional advice is best, but I like to get insight from multiple sources, adding grains of salt as necessary. =)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.