Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153341 - 10/27/08 01:08 AM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: benjammin]
SaucyRose Offline
Stranger

I would also include.... a wallet with photos, an ID or Driver's license, some cash, a debit card with a small amount of money on it. A watch.

if I had to skip out in a hurry... i may not have these things on me. If detained in a camp... and escape, these things would probably have been taken away... with clean clothes... looking more like a jogger.. don't forget a bottle of water and a head band... maybe a cheap ipod... with a wallet and watch, they may stop you but let you go.

Because of earthquakes, my kids and I buried a rubber maid tote not far from their school. It contained a BOB so if the school went into lock down... they could get out in the confusion and head for home through a canyon and wash.
We sealed the lid with silicone sealant to keep the water out. everything in it was old and expendable.

Saucy Rose

#153346 - 10/27/08 02:13 AM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: SaucyRose]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I posted a thread some time ago asking for suggestions about a food cache on our property while the house is rebuilt. Someone, I think it was Blast, suggested that I recreate a BOB, which I've done in a 5 gallon bucket.

I used mostly stuff I had, a lot of gear being replaced in my BOB. I bought a Heatsheets Bivy for our BOBs, and the cheaper emergency sleeping bag went into the bucket. For food, I used rice and beans, it was cheap. I have a cheap bottle of water, mostly because I wanted a bottle in it. Some iodine with instructions on using it to treat water. An inexpensive knife and multitool, the knife was $1 at Wal-Mart and thhe multitool less then $15, from a few aisles over. Some plastic dropcloths, useful as shelter or for collecting rain water, a pruning saw, etc. Waterproof matches. And a few other things. It's not as good as my BOB here in NYC, but it would never be a bad thing to have.

#153467 - 10/28/08 11:06 AM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Dan_McI]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've started looking into this some too since my bug out location is 250 miles away. I'm trying to find someplace in between to store some gear. My best thugh is a state park that allows geocaching. Get permission to plant some caches and document them on the geocaching web sites and then plant one undocumented cache for myself so it appears that I'm just doing the geocaching thing.

#153468 - 10/28/08 11:33 AM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Eugene]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
don't forget some books and a wind up radio. A day is a long time if you are just sitting.
The Sock

#153471 - 10/28/08 12:32 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: TheSock]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Those wind up radios the internal battery goes bad just sitting in a cache, much better to put in an aa or aaa powered one and some lithiums.
I think the most important cache item though would be a gas can but how and where to store it I don't know.

Edited by Eugene (10/28/08 12:33 PM)

#153743 - 10/30/08 04:06 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Chisel]
SouthDakotan Offline
Stranger

Something to think about in regards to caching would be storing everything(even if it's already in a bag) in a 5 gallon bucket. It can serve many roles: a waterproof container for burying the cache. if you have to hide the cache in a building, a bucket will not be as conspicuous as a bag. and finally, a bucket is handy for its intended use as well, a bucket.

#153802 - 10/31/08 02:25 AM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: SouthDakotan]
Jakam
Unregistered

I use the 5 gallon bucket for everything- all my long term gear, emergency toilet, water tote, etc. they stack easily, are essentially airtight, and don't look like anything valuable to prying eyes. I have the square topped cat litter buckets (sanitized of course, but unused cat litter isn't dangerous anyway, is it?)

#153827 - 10/31/08 11:55 AM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I know your not supposed to expose babies or pregnant women to cat litter so there must be something nast in it. I used to store things in cat litter buckets but everything I put in them would smell and taste like it, its pretty strong stuff.

#153831 - 10/31/08 12:44 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Eugene]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I think the major problem is used cat litter, which can harbor cat scratch fever, which is usually harmless, but can be dangerous to infants. Unused cat litter is just bentonite clay, but clumping litter can contain silica dust, which is harmful to breath in. But silicosis is a pretty long term style disease. And just rinsing out a box should remove the dust.

#153833 - 10/31/08 12:53 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
I have the square topped cat litter buckets (sanitized of course, but unused cat litter isn't dangerous anyway, is it?)

I know your not supposed to expose babies or pregnant women to cat litter so there must be something nast in it. I used to store things in cat litter buckets but everything I put in them would smell and taste like it, its pretty strong stuff

That would be “used” cat litter, containing cat feces due to the possible the cat(s) are infected with Toxoplasma gondii.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 572 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.