Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153167 - 10/25/08 04:25 AM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: 7point82]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
My new house has 2 layers of something.... all I know is its about 8" above the joists and looks like my attic is a play-area for an itchy-scratchy animal fun fest *gasp*... L O L.

#153199 - 10/25/08 06:23 PM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: Todd W]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
My only regret is that I can't afford to heat my house to a comfortable temperature. That regret is because the house i rent has more wind than Chicago blowing through the windows. Yup, I spent last winter with the house a balmy 58 degrees. 52 at night. Ask my girfriend - it is was chilly!

So, since my house is heated by NG, I might, MIGHT, be able to afford 60 or 62 degrees this winter! Thank goodness!

No actions were taken by me earlier this year.

#153206 - 10/25/08 07:20 PM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Thank goodness my contractor warned me about wiring through the spray-in insulation, because I hadn't thought about it. Since he brought it to my attention we wired every room for just about everything. Funny, now that wireless networking is common, we haven't had need for much of it.

#153217 - 10/25/08 10:05 PM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: MDinana]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
A couple items that might help are outlet insulation (~1/8" thick precut foam to stop drafts) and window film (similar to plastic wrap) that is taped in & contracts with a hairdryer to be almost invisible.

#153223 - 10/25/08 10:19 PM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: Arney]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, the VT AG and Secritary of State has said that is you locked in your oil price this summer, you have signed a legally binding contract. Oops.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153252 - 10/26/08 01:22 AM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: UTAlumnus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
A couple items that might help are outlet insulation (~1/8" thick precut foam to stop drafts) and window film (similar to plastic wrap) that is taped in & contracts with a hairdryer to be almost invisible.

Thanks, but way ahead of you there! In fact, the plastic over the window in my hall actually "billows" in the breeze. Not so bad once it's shrunk with the hairdryer, but a bit disconcerting to watch it while loose. Yes, it did help a lot!

And the plastic wrap keeps the breeze off wet hair in my bedroom.

I kind of would like the basement windows sealed better, as well as the seals around the doors - old and dry foam for the most part. The kitchen door can be a bit breezy too, but some additions last year helped.

#153257 - 10/26/08 02:04 AM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: MDinana]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I just made another post on putting silicone in the spaces in the framing of your walls too small for insulation. Not an option if you do not want to tear sheet rock off of your house. One of the guys spraying the foam insulation suggested it. I think one could use silicone in any a number of places in a house.

I have a few spaces in the framing that I need to get resprayed. I'm a nightmare for a contractor, because I inspect everything regularly. However, if they miss anything, I'm filling it with Great Stuff. I don't think I'd want to self-help and fill all of my walls with it, but one might use it to address some key areas.

Before the house was gutted, I used the plastic wrap for a drafty sliding door. It helped, A LOT.

I also sealed off a drafty window using a crown duct roll. It basically thick aluminum foil with a sticking adhesive side and some insulating material inside. See: http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/products/crown_rolls/crown_duct_roll.aspx

I've at times been able to pick up styrofoam in decent quantities that was otehrwise going to be thrown away. If I was hard up in a cold winter, I could see making use of such sheets. It might look awful, but it could keep me warm.

Finally, part of my bug-in plan is to use tarps or plastic drop cloths to make rooms smaller in effect. If you go camping in the cold, the tent feels pretty warm in the moring, just from your own breath. Doing something like this to cut down on the size of some areas might be an option near the last resort.

#153258 - 10/26/08 02:09 AM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: Dan_McI]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

I also sealed off a drafty window using a crown duct roll. It basically thick aluminum foil with a sticking adhesive side and some insulating material inside. See: http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/products/crown_rolls/crown_duct_roll.aspx

Doing something like this to cut down on the size of some areas might be an option near the last resort.

Interesting stuff about the crown duct roll. I saw something like that in the basement, left by the landlord. Maybe I'll fiddle around with that sometime this month.

My "option of last resort" was to schedule my 2 ICU months in Jan and Feb - I figure that I'll be putting in 12+ hours, 6 days a week, which means less time that I'll be home (and thus need to heat the house).

I'm so cheap. LOL

Thanks everyone for the good ideas, I do appreciate them!

#153326 - 10/26/08 08:24 PM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
snip...
Also one thing just occured to me. Do you think they put into the sprayfoam mix any sort of pesticide to prevent insects from eating or burrowing through it?

I honestly don't recall for certain, it may. Maybe someone on here will know for sure.

We didn't go too crazy on the wiring. We did Cat5, standard phone lines and coaxial cable to most of the rooms except for the dining rooms and bathrooms.

The builder didn't soak us too bad for the wiring but it seems like each builder has things they like to jack the price up on. Our builder wanted a fortune for fancy plumbing and soundproofing. I did the extra soundproofing myself for about a tenth the price the builder wanted & we had faucets and basins changed after we moved in for about a third of what he wanted. Then we donated the (almost new) fixtures to Habitat for Humanity.

#153327 - 10/26/08 08:29 PM Re: Winter heating regrets? [Re: 7point82]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: 7point82
I did the extra soundproofing myself for about a tenth the price the builder wanted...

Just curious, but do you mean that you put the soundproofing in the walls yourself while they were still being constructed?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.