Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#153052 - 10/24/08 02:34 PM Korean Survival Supplies
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
So, I finally got around to going to the E-mart here in Korea. The Korean equivalent of a Super Walmart. While Koreans are big into hiking and camping, survival equipment doesn't seem to crop up very often. However, I found somethings that aren't available in the US or perhaps just aren't as readily available. One is pretty generic, but its about 10 inch by 2 inch paraffin candles, for about a dollar each. They had bigger ones too, and big pillar candles. For lighting your house in a power outage, these would be/will be perfect. I haven't seen similar candles in the US anywhere as cheap. The second thing I found is mini-packets of instant light charcoal. The package is foil, about 4x4x2 inches. A single package would be perfect for a day hike and you could put several into a car kit. An additional fuel option that won't leak and will catch fire instantly. Good for warming you up in winter just tear open and light. Less then a dollar per packet. I doubt there's anyway for me to get this back to the US, does anyone know if they're available there?

#153111 - 10/24/08 09:34 PM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: AROTC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, how hard would it be to put 6-8 briquettes and a handful of pj balls in a wax paper envelope, then vacuum seal the whole package?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153145 - 10/25/08 12:29 AM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: ironraven]
AROTC Offline
Addict

I just remembered, they also sell a lot of metal pots with locking lids. I guess they're for transporting food like Tupperware, but made out of 18 gauge stainless steel and they come in all different sizes.

#153163 - 10/25/08 03:10 AM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: AROTC]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I picked up some of those steel containers with the locking lids and flip-out handles while we were in China. They rock! I especially love it for holding my finds while out collecting wild edibles.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#153200 - 10/25/08 06:27 PM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
So, I've got a question - more of a muse -, since AROTC is in Korea (I assume stationed there, based on the "butter bar" in your name). Ramen appears to be a kind of generic storage item around ETS (either for cheap college food, small/dry long term supply, intended to supplement other food, etc)... do Koreans have their own Ramen version? Or in some wierd cosmic irony, do they stock dehydrated cheeseburgers and apple pies for survival?

Just one random thought from one Butter bar to another.

#153214 - 10/25/08 09:16 PM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: MDinana]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Butter Bar-- i have not had good/real Ramen since i was in Korea in 1968-69..even the made in Korea packs in the Asia food shops just don't taste the same..our houseboys would get it "someplace" and bring it cooked and hot--

#153239 - 10/26/08 12:18 AM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: MDinana]
AROTC Offline
Addict

They have all kinds of ramen here. You can get some of them in the US, more expensive then the basic ramen, but with much better flavors. Look in the Asian section for a styrofoam bowl with a red lid and almost no English except "Kimchi" on it. Spicy but very tasty.

#153241 - 10/26/08 12:34 AM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: AROTC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've seen it.

Does it have kim chi in it? I hate kim chi, that's why I didn't get any.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153247 - 10/26/08 12:55 AM Re: Korean Survival Supplies [Re: ironraven]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Sort of, there's like cup of soup freeze dried bits in there that I think are supposed to be kimchi. Mostly it tastes spicy. But for 60 or 70 cents its worth trying.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 542 Guests and 106 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.