Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#152926 - 10/23/08 12:00 PM Inova X1 review
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I have recently revised my EDC kit, one of the latest acquisitions being the Inova X1 flashlight. And since it has turned out to be such a useful little light it deserves a quick review. smile

http://www.theledlight.com/inova-X1.html

The Inova X1 has been around for a while. It's basically a small, single AA cell light. The first version was criticized due to a very narrow beam. Gen 2 is arguably the best of the family according to the general concensus. Gen 3 has a 2.0W light, which is more powerful but has a battery life of just 2 hours.

My model appears to be an updated Gen 2. I avoided the 2.0W version because of the short battery life. My Inova lasts way over 10 hours on a single fresh AA battery (Ni-MH or alkaline). The first impression has been favorable - it's a very neat little gadget, measuring just under 4" in length. About the size of the Maglite Solitaire, with a black aluminum body and a turning switch at the back. The lens is protected with a solid aluminum rim so there is little chance of breaking if you drop it by accident.

All in all, it is a quality pice of gear, surprisingly well made for an inexpensive light. It has all the necessary features, including a power regulating circuit that guarantees optimal battery life. Best of all, it's compact, easily carried in a pocket and you'll not even know it's there until you need it.

Of several reasons why I picked the Inova X1 one of the most important was that it runs on cheap, easily available AA batteries. Pretty much all my other portable electronic stuff runs on AA's and I wanted the flashlight to be compatible in that regard.

There are obvious limits to small flashlights. Anything bigger, more expensive (especialy with CR123 batteries) will likely be brighter but not necessarily as portable or efficient all around. Nonetheless, the Inova X1 does the job well, better than expected in fact. There is just enough side spill and no blind spots so that the beam can easily illuminate large spaces in complete darkness. It allows you to see clearly down a corridor well over 60'and with excellent detail up to at least half that distance. I haven't used it outdoors much yet but so far it has held up well.

Compared to the old Maglite Solitaire or the like it's many times brighter. It beats the Mini Maglite (two AA cells) and all the cheaper LED lights in the same size range that I've handled. It's at least as bright as a typical 2 D-cell battery from the hardware store despite its compact size, not to mention the superior battery life.

In short, it's more than adequate for my needs and I could wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody looking for a simple, inexpensive compact flashlight.

#152927 - 10/23/08 12:17 PM Re: Inova X1 review [Re: Tom_L]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Tom, Nice review.

I also have a Gen 2 Inove X1 and have found it to be a quality small light. I only stopped using it for EDC because of it's sliver colour. The light was visible in the side-pouch of my Leatherman TTi and people would ask about it. Not wanting to draw attention to my light or my Leatherman I replaced the light with a black AAA Fenix LOD Q4.

Mike

#152958 - 10/23/08 08:25 PM Re: Inova X1 review [Re: Tom_L]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I have an original X-1. It's not exactly "inexpensive" in the U.K.

Having said that it's vastly superiour to a mag-lite. It's my prefered choice for a survival vest.

As a belt torch I prefer the X-5.

#152959 - 10/23/08 08:49 PM Re: Inova X1 review [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I have a couple Inova's. 1 the LED died on within the first year (mutli LED unit) the rest have been great! Long battery life for sure and great build.

#152972 - 10/23/08 11:10 PM Re: Inova X1 review [Re: Todd W]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I own the Gen. 1 model. Nice and bright, and the narrow spotlight lets me see down to the end of a dark hallway or alley. I was thinking about getting a Gen. 2 as well. A really well made light.

#152984 - 10/24/08 12:05 AM Re: Inova X1 review [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Cobalt Offline
Stranger

Inova has excellent customer service. They will normally replace defective Inova lights at no charge. If fact, at different times, they have replaced two defective X1's for me--stopped working when dropped on the floor.

Check their website: http://www.inovalight.com

#153009 - 10/24/08 04:48 AM Re: Inova X1 review [Re: Cobalt]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
i am a big fan of inova. i own and have given many of these lights. They are all IMO, reliable and able to withstand a beating.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.