Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#152371 - 10/19/08 04:48 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: HerbG]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
In an earlier Oregonian article they had some account of his gear - he left his sleeping bag, tent and other essentials at the campground (SAR ended up being based there). He was used to 'fast climbing', solo. One might have a philosophical discussion with him now over beers or hot soup on the wisdom of the fast and light climbing school of thought. I think its more a form of russian roulette / suicide. But he's young and strong and will live to climb again. Bet his folks get him a PLB for Christmas.

#152399 - 10/19/08 09:48 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: ]
jimtanker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Bragg, NC
Hmmmmm. Stay home all weekend because noone has the free time to go out or enjoy the outdoors all by myself?????

I'll climb alone.....

(If in fact he didn't have anyone to go hiking with.)

#152401 - 10/19/08 10:05 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: jimtanker]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

When you go out into the mountains you take a risk. Just like when you go out for a drive. Driving is far more dangerous.

I hike/bushwhack in the mountains by myself almost daily. It is no big deal. Maybe it seems so if you rarely if ever do such a thing. But then again I would feel threatened if I were to be in parts of New York city whilst others live there and feel perfectly at home.

My life has been on the line far more often while driving. A number of close calls over the years. But in the wilderness? Far fewer.

The press likes to hype these things up. It sells. But where I live there are dozens of locals who regularly hike these mountains without POBs and cell phones etc and etc. Just about the safest activity you can do hour for hour.

#152405 - 10/19/08 11:24 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: RobertRogers]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I thought that this comment from a member of nwhikers was interesting - lykkens was climbing down Mt Adams as the lost climber was heading up, they encountered him before he went missing. For anyone who sees some romanticism in eating centipedes...

"Glad that someone opened up this "can of centipedes". We saw him as he passed us above lunch counter [Mt Adams landmark] at 9400ft, he was under dressed, carrying a tiny day pack and was walking strangely on his crampons. He was aware that he was climbing into deteriorating weather and everyone on our team noted that he looked the least prepared for what he was getting into of the three single climbers we saw heading up as we descended. Our member who stayed at base camp even asked us if we had seen him because she wondered if he was actually going to climb or was just lookylooing. Where he fell was near where we made our navigational mistake, one that was rectified by comparing way points on the 2 gps units that we had on our team. I don't think you need to clean out the shelves at REI and carry all your gear up the mountain, but we had a stove with us in case our water froze or we got caught in a tough situation, on top of the layers (including goggles) that we ended up needing. Experienced means understanding your limits, reading the weather, listening to other climbers, being prepared for an injury if you choose to climb alone... I would not have classified him as any of those things, each individual on our team noticed him and discussed him long before he was reported missing. I'm glad he was found safely and I know the mountain can be a fickle beast, but you must respect it or you will pay handsomely... as will the tax payers of Washington & Oregon apparently."

#152411 - 10/19/08 11:54 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
YOU NEVER EVER CLIMB ALONE!

The problem is when you go with someone you gotta actually interact with them on some level.

My trips are considered successful if I never see another Homo sapiens the entire time.

Seriously, I have to confess to solo hiking / camping myself and accept the consequences there of.

I also stack the deck in my favor by leaving detailed itinerary with my wife of where I will be and when I will check in and when to call the cavalry.

Haven't gotten a PLB yet, and it is on my list...

#152413 - 10/20/08 12:08 AM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: LazyJoe]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'll bet he'll be getting a 'Touching the Void' DVD for his Christmas.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b7zadH1ZqAE&feature=related

#152420 - 10/20/08 12:51 AM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
What kind of centipedes do they have at that altitude in Washington?

Even as a snail, ant, grasshopper and other inverterbrate eater I can tell you that there is no way I would eat a tropical centipede!

#152501 - 10/20/08 05:29 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
YOU NEVER EVER CLIMB ALONE!

There's always a risk, but it's pretty common practice to go solo. I doubt you'll hear criticism from the climbing community just because he went solo; there's no consensus that solo is inately bad judgement.

Originally Posted By: comms
There is no mention of a sleeping bag, even for a day trip, that is a required item for mountain like Adams.

I think I'll disagree with you there. Based on my experience, when one expects to be back before dark, carrying a sleeping bag isn't standard. The typical advice is to carry enough gear to survive the night if caught out.

Originally Posted By: Lono
I thought that this comment from a member of nwhikers was interesting - lykkens was climbing down Mt Adams as the lost climber was heading up, they encountered him before he went missing. For anyone who sees some romanticism in eating centipedes...

"Glad that someone opened up this "can of centipedes". We saw him as he passed us above lunch counter [Mt Adams landmark] at 9400ft, he was under dressed, carrying a tiny day pack and was walking strangely on his crampons. He was aware that he was climbing into deteriorating weather and everyone on our team noted that he looked the least prepared for what he was getting into of the three single climbers we saw heading up as we descended. Our member who stayed at base camp even asked us if we had seen him because she wondered if he was actually going to climb or was just lookylooing. Where he fell was near where we made our navigational mistake, one that was rectified by comparing way points on the 2 gps units that we had on our team. I don't think you need to clean out the shelves at REI and carry all your gear up the mountain, but we had a stove with us in case our water froze or we got caught in a tough situation, on top of the layers (including goggles) that we ended up needing. Experienced means understanding your limits, reading the weather, listening to other climbers, being prepared for an injury if you choose to climb alone... I would not have classified him as any of those things, each individual on our team noticed him and discussed him long before he was reported missing. I'm glad he was found safely and I know the mountain can be a fickle beast, but you must respect it or you will pay handsomely... as will the tax payers of Washington & Oregon apparently."

That's the real issue. He was inadequately prepared, didn't listen, and headed into bad weather.

On the one hand, I admire him. That's dang good to survive five days injured in snow country. On the other hand, he went unprepared, blew off what other climbers were telling him, and didn't take into account the weather. What a bonehead.

So, it's a bit of both. I'm glad he's alive, but he really screwed up bad.

#152662 - 10/21/08 02:00 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
We've discussed the aspect of taking risks while playing, and my position on it hasn't changed.

If you are going to take risks that could require emergency assistance and thereby incur a significant cost to save your sorry butt, then you ought to be held accountable for those costs. Since most people don't have a spare $100,000+ laying around in a bank account (in other words self-insured), it would therefore make sense that anyone willing to take such a risk ought to be required to have insurance, post a bond, or otherwise provide some surety of payment in the event that their luck runs out before they get back to civilization.

In the real world, whenever people engage in risky activities as a means of earning money, they are usually required to have some sort of surety, usually in the form of insurance, that pays the bills for them if something goes wrong. The more risky opportunities usually require a higher premium for coverage, and to be sure there are laws and regs that limit the amount of liability should it become a matter or civil remedy in court.

Look, if I go to Baghdad on my own nickel just to see what it is like over there today, and I get myself in a bad way, should I expect the US government to send in the troops to come save me because I thought the risk was acceptable for the adventure potential? Lot on your knife (A Conan phrase).

I have no problem with people doing things that are challenging, that connect them to their environment at a basic, less civilized level. If they would include in their preparations for such endeavors some measure of personal accountability so that I and the rest of the folks in our community who aren't so adventurous don't have to come save them by paying for well trained teams of rescuers and the best equipment money can buy, then I think there would be a lot less griping from the peanut gallery about reckless behavior.

Then again, that whole argument could be applied to our society in general. There was a time when if you went off on a little adventure and you got in trouble, there wasn't going to be a big rescue, unless you had planned for it beforehand and someone with a vested interest in your rescue was committed to it.

#152722 - 10/21/08 05:57 PM Re: Missing hiker found alive after week [Re: benjammin]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
It would be a good thing if there were an economic downside to going out unprepared.

On the other hand, in talking to SAR members, there's a fear that people won't call when they need for fear of being charged to leading to a riskier rescue or greater injury or loss of life. In other words a person might wait so long to call that the rescue becomes riskier (worsening weather, rising water, etc.) or the rescue becomes a recovery.

Generally, when I talk to SAR volunteers, they're against charging.

Personally, I'd like to see a "complete idiot fee," but that's unlikely to happen soon. smile

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 254 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.