Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#152783 - 10/22/08 12:09 AM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: Roarmeister]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
+1

#152788 - 10/22/08 01:22 AM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: MartinFocazio]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Is there a time limit?, these are tough.

#152789 - 10/22/08 01:31 AM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I guess I qualify as LARGE so figured I'd take a shot, did I win anything ?
confused

-Eric

#152802 - 10/22/08 04:44 AM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: samhain]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
done.

#152825 - 10/22/08 01:47 PM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: comms]
SirJoel Offline

I took it with my book open, hope that is ok.

#152827 - 10/22/08 02:00 PM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Done...

#152833 - 10/22/08 02:51 PM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: Roarmeister]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
NEVER EVER reply directly to a notification sent via email. It is almost assuredly a fraud or method of getting someone to log on to a faked out site for nefarious purposes.

Well.....
I'll let you all in on the purpose of the survey - and also why Roarmeister, while being absolutely, 100% correct in one regard - is so problematic for companies that want to do business with him. .

One of our clients is a big financial services firm. One of the many ways they try to cut costs is with paperless communications. There's big money - I'm talking about hundreds of millions in the industry, perhaps billions - in moving customers to paperless communications - so the motivation to push people to paperless is high.

At the same time, the risks for "phishing" attacks - email that is intended to trick people into giving up their login information to financial sites - are very real. eBay is a major target for phishing attacks but almost any company that involved real money is a target. In 2008, phishing attacks are on the rise. . In 2007, losses from phishing were about 3 Billion dollars , which sounds like a lot of money, but when you consider that online shipping alone was about $116 Billion Dollars, and that 3/4 of Americans pay their bills online and half of all Americans use online banking you come to a market that's processing transactions worth about a trillion dollars a year.
Let's put that into a pie chart - 3 Billion Fraud vs. 1 Trillion in transactions:

[img]http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=p3&chd=t:3,997&chs=250x100&chl=Fraud|Legit[/img]

Suddenly, the 3 Billion is chump change - a rounding error, and well within tolerances at an industry level.

Still, in our work, we're seeing and increasing disconnect between "open rates" for email and "click through rates" for emails and the behavior we see on the site. Plenty of new people are signing up for paperless statements, but I'm seeing a relatively flat line on open and click throuhg rates. I looked at my own behavior - and I don't open the messages, and I don't click through, I just look at the subject "Your Statement is Ready" and since I know I have an account with the company, I just go direct to the web site and check the statement. I'm too close to the fraud and such and although I'm an "expert" in digital media, for me that means I don't actually trust myself to be able to casually spot a really good phishing trick that exploits a flaw in Gmail that nobody but the bad guy knows about.

So, the 2 question survey sees to get behavioral information to go further than the sample size of ME.

As it stands, only 49.1% of the respondents say that they "Almost Always" open the messages, if we compare it to the number of people who don't open paper mail, it's an appalling contrast. I need a LOT more responses before I trust the survey and I can get to confidence levels that let me go with a plan.

My challenge for 2009 - develop a strategy that motivates people to go to the paperless route, ensures that the messaging we use to notify people electronically is reaching the customers, and minimizes security risks for all parties to the transaction. Simple, right?

#152846 - 10/22/08 03:48 PM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: MartinFocazio]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Just some random thoughts:

Perhaps if the legit companies, who advise their customers to never click a link in an email, would STOP PUTTING LINKS IN THEIR EMAILS, this would be less of an issue.

My employer once sent an email to every employee for mandantory online training on internet and email security. The email said "Click here and log in with your username and network password to begin the training." I went to HR told them that if anyone followed those directions, they should automatically fail the training. They didn't get it.

In any case, when I get a "your statement is ready" email, it is a lot easier to just use my existing bookmark to get to the site than it is to open the email and carefully examine the link to try to determine if it is ok to use.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#152847 - 10/22/08 03:48 PM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: MartinFocazio]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Sure... Easy-Peasy.

I responded too (BTW) and I'm one of those that sees the subject of the reminder email and often goes to the URL without actually opening the email.

About the only time I bother to open the email message is when I KNOW it's an attempt to Phish and I want to see how good a job they did disguising it.

The bad spelling is almost always a dead giveaway; so make sure your clients hire good copy editors. grin

#152848 - 10/22/08 04:18 PM Re: WORK RELATED - Help with my survey [Re: SirJoel]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: SirJoel
I took it with my book open, hope that is ok.

as long as you show how you got to your answer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 235 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.