Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#15266 - 04/25/03 01:03 PM May need a PDA for my soon-to-be new job
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I am an experienced computer and Web user. I'm very comfortable working in those areas. I've always used stacks of Post-Its to make notes of projects, tasks, appointments, and meetings, but now I need a better method.

I'd like a nice middle-of-the-road PDA. Something sturdy and useful that will help me hit the ground running, is modestly upgradeable, but isn't too fancy. Something with a good screen that's sharp -- not described as small or difficult to read.

I'd like the PDA to be reasonably upgradeable or expandable in memory, so that it could grow with my needs and wants for a little while. I'd like to be able to download extra applications should I need to.

I don't think I need a color screen. I don't need something that's also a cell phone, or GPS, or digital camera. I don't need extra bells and whistles. I want something that looks and feels solidly professional and feels good in my hand. I don't want something that makes me look like I could be playing
games. I'd like to be able to synchronize it with my email. A wired connection would be fine. I don't need wireless just yet. A cradle would be good.

I've been looking for work for some time, so I'd like to spend between $100-$200, with $150 being a good target.

Any suggestions?

#15267 - 04/25/03 04:33 PM Re: May need a PDA for my soon-to-be new job
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

I have a HandSpring Visor Deluxe, which fits what you're describing. However, the Visors are being phased out by Handspring to be replaced with the Treo series. Some are still available for $99 here: http://www.handspring.com/products/outlet/refurb_deluxe.jhtml

As far as what's available now, the Palm m130 may fit your needs:

http://www.palm.com/products/palmm130/

#15268 - 04/25/03 06:06 PM Re: May need a PDA for my soon-to-be new job
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Palm OS, especially in that price range, rather than a Pocket PC. There is a considerable difference in bulk and geekiness as well - I cannot picture ME carrying a Pocket PC (size and heft), but I feel nekid without a palm pilot.

If you can pony up a few more $ I REALLY like the m500 - the size is tiny but the capabilities are great. The low-mid range Sony devices are nice as well, albeit a bit larger. (The top end Sonys are TOO BIG). There is a new Palm out that is a little out of your price range but is really worth a look: Zire 71. OK; it has a camera, but that's laignape - it has SD/MMC slot and the new hi-res color screen. I like my new color T, but it's the res I really like (possible Sony selling point). The main drawback (for me) to the Sony's is the proprietory memory stick. Get something that can connect with the Palm universal connector and that uses SD/MMC memory expansion.

Don't bother with AA batteries - make sure your device uses Li-ion rechargable power cells. The m130 is a good device, as suggested. You will want to spend a little $ on software/hacks after you've had it a month or so. Grafitti is easy to learn but there are alternatives if you really hate it.

HTH

#15269 - 04/25/03 06:22 PM Re: May need a PDA for my soon-to-be new job
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Since I have the Sony (PEG-T665C) couple of quick notes. Color of the screen is superior to many devices out there. Memory stick is cheap so if you don't have any memory cards around your house you may as well go for it. Battery is not the greatest (palm has a much better life) but I find it sufficient for my work. Size wise it's a bigger device than Palm products. Connectivi9ty wise I have no problem running syns on Windows 2000 server or Windows XP. Sites like palmgear or palmblvd offer tons of free applications for Palm OS system.

Matt

#15270 - 05/03/03 03:04 PM Re: May need a PDA for my soon-to-be new job
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had palms and presently have a Sony Clie s360.
The Black white screen on the Sony surpass the palm in definition. There is 16 meg ram and 4 meg rom. You can add memory card if that becomes a need. I have a 128 meg card that has all sorts of books and there's not much of a dent in the capacity. The processor speed is fast.
I've seen the Sony color and they are very impressive but I don't need color at the sacrifice of space (ram). I use excel spreadsheets with DocsToGo.
I bought mine refurbished 8 months ago thru ebay for $100.
I find that I need a cover due to the ways I carry mine. I should have used a screen protector sheet.
Palm OS is the only way to go for this price.
Tom

#15271 - 05/03/03 03:08 PM Re: May need a PDA for my soon-to-be new job
Anonymous
Unregistered

I forgot to add that a backup prog that covers all that you have on the pda is a must. I use BackUpBuddy. It does it all.
I learned thru harsh experience (Idon't think I ever learned thru pleasant) as I test quite a few appz on the 360. I have most all known to man. That's how versatile the palm os is.
Tom

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.