Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#152885 - 10/22/08 10:12 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: ]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I know Vellux; I used to have one as the blanket on my twin bed. Never tried it outdoors though. Very warm, but don't let your little brother put a lollipop down on it; it'll rip all the fibers off that patch. mad

#152886 - 10/22/08 10:12 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: airballrad]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm not sure if it is more reflective, but the heat sheet I tested seemed warmer than the mylar sheets I've used. It was also stronger and quieter. Plus it is a better signal, IMO- I'm always worried that a mylar sheet will be mistaken for water if used as a standing signal. Blaze orange on the other hand.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#152890 - 10/22/08 10:27 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: redflare]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: redflare
Originally Posted By: benjammin
the smaller packaged bivy seems to be higher rated for keeping you warm. That seems counter-intuitive to me. Even if it isn't as I perceive it to be, I still prefer the smaller packaged bag for packing convenience.

I thought the same thing until I used one of the Heatsheets blankets in the Sierras. I ended up making a bivvy of sorts by taping the edges of it with duct tape. It keeps more of the heat inside. (Of course it keeps more moisture too, but at least I was somewhat warm)
Wait a minute; wait a minute; wait a minute. The smaller bivy that AMK sells is warmer than the larger Thermolite2?

#152893 - 10/22/08 11:09 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Could it be due to a less porous material? I've seen the thermolite, they seem more permeable, like a car cover type of material. Never seen the heatsheets. Are the heatsheets more of a plastic feeling like the mylar spaceblankets? I don't see any temperature ratings an them except for the thermolite.

I've been following this topic closely because I'm looking to replace the Outoodr Research bivy sack that I have with something a lot smaller and lighter. Does the bivy have any type of drawstring to close up the head opening?

#152898 - 10/22/08 11:42 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: Hikin_Jim]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
The smaller bivy that AMK sells is warmer than the larger Thermolite2?

In my personal experience - that is true. I think the reason for Thermo Lite being "less warm" is because there is a foot went and a sort of opening to get your hands out. It lets even the slightest wind in.

I did wake up somewhat sweaty when I used it them my ultralight backpacking trips. Both Therma Lite and Heatsheets offer decent alternatives to regular sleeping bags and I certainly saved several pounds in weight. As far as comfort goes - that's a different story.

Edited by redflare (10/22/08 11:43 PM)

#152901 - 10/22/08 11:52 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: redflare]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Interesting. I've used my old Thermolite (Thermolite1?) with a fleece sleeping bag liner with good results in warm weather, but I haven't taken it into much wind. I was wearing socks, long johns (top & bottom), and a fleece cap. I guess if it were really windy, one could duct tape the vent closed.

Perhaps the advantages of the Thermolite are:
-it can fit back into it's original container
-more durable
-vented (both an asset and a liability)

The Heatsheets bivvy is:
-smaller
-lighter
-(and apparently) warmer

Does that square with the experience of others?

#152922 - 10/23/08 06:39 AM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: Hikin_Jim]
redflare Offline
Addict

That pretty much sums it up.

Next time I backpack in relatively cold (under 50) weather, I will probably bring a Blizzard Bag. Above 50, Therma Lite works OK

#152935 - 10/23/08 02:56 PM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: redflare]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Interesting. One last thought: for sheltering-in-place in a car, I think the Thermalite2's would work well. The car acts as a shelter, forestalling the wind.

I bought a couple of Theralite2's for that purpose (one for my wife, one for me), and I keep my older, lighter Thermalite ("Thermalite1") in the bottom of my pack on day hikes.

Based on this thread, maybe I should get a smaller Heatsheet bivvy for my hikes. Hmmm. smile

#152989 - 10/24/08 12:56 AM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

What exactly is the Blizzard bag made out of? I looked at that, but from the picture it looks a lot like the amk heat bivy. Is it some sort of insulation, and can it be reused?

Looks like I'm also probably going to pick up a AMK bivy for day hiking

Edited by ducktapeguy (10/24/08 12:58 AM)

#152994 - 10/24/08 01:54 AM Re: AMK Heatsheets [Re: ducktapeguy]
redflare Offline
Addict

Chris Kavanaugh has tested the bag and wrote a report about it.
One thing to consider is that it is significantly heavier then Heatsheets or ThermoLite. Here is some info on the bags themselves.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.