Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#152544 - 10/20/08 09:31 PM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: RichInChrist]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Shellac. I've had them last for several years after multiple dippings in shellac. Head first, let them dry, butt first, repeat, so the tips and butts have at least 3 coats, and most of the shaft has 6. Takes a few days, and it works best if the humidity is low, but it makes a great match.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#152862 - 10/22/08 06:24 PM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: Schwert]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Schwert
Matchcases are sort of another one of my addictions....

This is only a few of them....the old EverDry on the left was my Grandfathers. That one sort of started the chain of events that lead up to a bag full of K&M's as the ultimate matchcase. grin

These are in fact addicting. I have several K&M, a marbles, an everdry, a BSA and the plastic military version. What is the silver one in your photo, second from left?

#152871 - 10/22/08 07:37 PM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: justmeagain]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Schwert:
Which way is NORTH??? (referring to the picture of your match cases)

#152873 - 10/22/08 07:50 PM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: big_al]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
grin

Up. cool

Those are laying on a table with a metal plate under the top. The case on the far left was an original K&M and its compass is off the pin, but otherwise those all do work if they are not on a metal desk.

#152899 - 10/22/08 11:42 PM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: Schwert]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

What's the advantage of matches over a cheap disposable lighter? For the same size and weight of about 15 matches, you could have 1000's of lights from a bic, and probably 1000's more firestarting sparks after the gas runs out. Plus it's waterproof and almost indestructable (in normal use)

The only problem I've had with lighters is that I lose them way before they ever run out.

#152905 - 10/23/08 12:17 AM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: ducktapeguy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Lighters require it be warm enough for the butane to vaporize.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#152911 - 10/23/08 01:47 AM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: ducktapeguy]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
It is true that there is many way to start a fire without a match. But why do you think they are still here after 100+ years? When all else is said and done, they still work. smile

#152920 - 10/23/08 04:57 AM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: ducktapeguy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Matches light when cold. You can count exactly how many matches you have. You can give matches to some one. That is, you can hand someone ten matches and now you both have a fire starter. Matches seem to store better. Flints will rust, fuel will leak. But matches waterproofed with a single coat of clear nail polish and stored in a match case will last years. Matches can be fired out of a BB gun at a brick wall for a fun incendiary round. A whole bundle of matches can be lit at once for an instant larger flame than a single match or light creates, while still remaining more compact and versatile then a road flare. Matches can be trimmed down to an inch or less for inclusion in a pocket sized kit in a tin. A piece of highly flammable tinder can be held with a match while striking in high wind, so the initial flare up instantly lights it.

I would say overall, matches advantage over a cheap lighter are their versatility.

#152947 - 10/23/08 06:43 PM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: ducktapeguy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Everyone knows how to use a match. I once bought a childproof lighter and couldn't figure out how to use it. blush And I didn't have a child around to show me how.

How complicated is too complicated when you're hypothermic and can't think well and don't have much manual dexerity? If you can grab and move your hand, you can light a match.

Backup to your backup.

Sue

#152964 - 10/23/08 10:14 PM Re: On Waterproofing Matches [Re: Susan]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
A hypothermic person can have SEVERE loss of coordination and sensation in their hands.

Imagine trying to strike a match or flick a bic while wearing boxing gloves.

A Yankee friend of mine does a lot of winter hiking, snowmobiling, etc. He had one of those fireplace lighters with the long neck and and a trigger to light it. He epoxied a big fat knob atop the safety, cut off the trigger guard and put it in a ziplock baggie. He said he figured if he couldn't manage to squeeze the trigger, he could at least just grasp it and push the trigger against the edge of his boot or something to light it.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.