Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#152284 - 10/18/08 09:17 AM He is going naked
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK, he is wearing some clothes, but no PSK !!

I have a friend who is going in a business trip to a company camp in the middle of nowhere.
It is surrounded by hundreds of miles of nothing. It is part of a project and he is a consultant/engineer to do part of the job. The company takes care of everything from food to accommodation and safety. You only bring your brain and a few WORK instruments.

We had a discussion about what he should be taking with him for safety and survival. Afterall, between the safety of our office building and the safety of that camp , there are hundered of unsafe miles. Four by four or not, a breakdown is going to leave them in the middle of nowhere for hours. They have the latest tech and gadgets (including satellite phones) but help MAY have a few obstacles before arriving.

He thinks he doesn’t have to take anything but clothes and personal stuff. NO tools or anything that might help in case. His logic is that the company is providing everything. Besides, he has already made such trips dozens of times almost without any incidence.

I still felt that he should take with him a few items like a small tool kit, a small FAK, and a few other items just in case. He told me (a small tool kit ? the company’s team has a big support truck that has everything needed to disassemble a factory and assemble it again, so why do I need to carry a multitool or a screwdriver? )

So, if you were this engineer, and you were going with this company, what would you take with you other than clothing and toothbrush?

#152294 - 10/18/08 02:24 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: Chisel]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I don't care where you go or what someone else might have, I try to always have at least a few essentials.

A knife or multitool
A firemaker
Spare water
food
a tongue depressor loaded with 120 lb test string, some electrical tape and some duct tape
a flashlight

That is the core of edc for me. I don't go anywhere without at least those items handy.

#152298 - 10/18/08 02:37 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: Chisel]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

there are lots of people who don't dwell on the tiny chance that something might go wrong and do just fine..if a support truck is along and he has made the trip dozens of times i'm sure he knows what he doing..

#152316 - 10/18/08 05:37 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Different strokes for different folks.

I would carry at least what I normally keep in my pockets; Leatherman, mini-Bic, compact flashlight, and a few other odds and ends. I would make sure I had clothing to cover contingencies. A light windproof water-resistant jacket with a warm weatherproof hat and light gloves in the pocket, LS shirt, sturdy pants and boots. They can be selected to blend with your normal business outfit.

Given just that much and a few skills a person could do quite well for themselves.

I don't see any need to stick out by packing a separate PSK. Blending in and accepting the situation handed to you is often better policy. Depends on what sort of business trip it is. A working trip hammering out details of a project is not about roughing it. On the other side 'teamwork and motivation' camps are. Either way if you show up like Joe survivalist and whip out a bunch of supplies and screw on your best rugged individualist pose your going to lose points.

Most of those mountain retreats are not really so much in real wilderness. For logistical reasons most are near a major road and some sort on habitation. Trick is to get a map and get the lay of the land before hand so your not guessing. Google maps is usually a good start.

#152321 - 10/18/08 06:32 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: Chisel]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I do similar trips as well getting to the boat and on the return trip home.

I carry my EDC on me (except when flying when it's in my checked luggage). I also pack my BoB (100% equipped) and PSK in a duffle bag or parachute bag along with the clothes that I will need. This way, I don't stick out and nobody knows what I have other than what is laid out in my room, at my destination.

My BoB, when going to northern latitudes @ this time of year also includes my Artic Gear. Being paranoid, as I am, I am prepared to walk home from wherever I am if TSHTF.

The good news is that being permanently assigned to a vessel, I can leave a Bob here onboard the boat and travel back and forth with my EDC and PSK.

I hava another BoB at home.

#152328 - 10/18/08 10:05 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: Chisel]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
EDC of
Vic Swiss Tool plus
Fenix L2D
Fox 40 Whistle
BSA Hot Spark
P51
CRKT M16 Plain edge
PDA
Cell
mini BIC lighter
Meds (BP, ibuprophen, Tylenol)
copies of personal my documents and any documents needed for the meeting

Supplemented with
PFAK based on AMK .5 kit
Water bottle & steel cup
Doug's PSK uprated with
Gerber Sonic
some Strike anywhere matches
firestarter squares
Gerber saw blade similar to bike chain
Vic combo ruler, compass, thermometer, magnifying glass
CountyComm Coin cell light
Second mini BIC
AMK Heatsheet
Several Micro-PUR tabs

The PFAK & PSK would only be carried complete outside of camp. How complete it would be inside camp would be decided based on atmosphere (whose at the camp), etc.

#152329 - 10/18/08 10:20 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: Art_in_FL]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Blending in and accepting the situation handed to you is often better policy.

That's the nice thing about a briefcase/laptop bag/backpack depending on where you are. Most people won't think twice about what's in it until it's needed.

#152332 - 10/18/08 10:46 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: UTAlumnus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
+1 Wildman, all except being a boat part. But I do the exact same with my gear on trips.

I think a lot of people think being prepared is also being a minimalist. Sometimes this is synergistic, often times it is not. for comparison you ever see the gear that a Special Ops warrior takes with them, everywhere he goes? It is a lot of gear, most that may never be used. But, if you not being charged for extra weight or extra bags, take what you can. The inconvenience of lugging a couple extra heavy bags from and to a flight check in, is small compared to sitting next to a bust up 4x4 knowing that what you need is in the bag sitting next to whatever, that normally is no more than five feet from you in normal situations.

#152340 - 10/19/08 01:52 AM Re: He is going naked [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I bought the Ritter PSK and then using Cody Lundin's book 98.6 degree....I made a great personal PSK that is super light and packable.

#152357 - 10/19/08 12:25 PM Re: He is going naked [Re: Chisel]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
+1 on the PSK and add a SAK or good multi-tool. Both can be kept out of sight so no one thinks of him as some sort of nut or "not a team player" (a bad thing to be labeled in today's corporate world).

My problem with the idea that the "truck" is loaded with everything is what happens if someone does something really stupid and the truck and "everything" goes off a cliff or burns up etc. etc. etc. All the eggs were in one basket.

I can't see any good reason not to take a pocket survival kit (Doug's or a field expedient one) and a SAK/multi-tool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.