Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#141247 - 07/24/08 10:39 PM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: Yuccahead]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
The U.S. has a new Passport Card that can be used for land or sea re-entry into the U.S. from Canada and I believe from Caribbean cruises.

Ah, that's interesting. Oh, btw, Mexico is also a country listed. It says production started July 14, but doesn't say which year, but if it's 2008, then this is a very newly available document. Much more portable and durable than your standard passport. It could easily be slipped into your wallet like a regular credit card. Thanks for that link.

#141257 - 07/24/08 11:03 PM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: Arney]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So now you get to ponder whether or not to get and include one, both, or neither the card or booklet in your BOB.

#141287 - 07/25/08 12:55 AM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: Yuccahead]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Now that is pretty slick. The perfect "second ID" all kinds of people want...

#141314 - 07/25/08 11:27 AM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Maybe I read this tip here in the past but I have used it and past on it on since:

Color scan your credit cards, Driver license, passport, birth cert, etc and email them to a web based email account.

If you lose any of them you can usually find a pc to get them from online. How they're accepted by officials is another matter but I always feel safer knowing I have a back up only I can get to.

When I travel I generally email myself a copy of flight information and pre-scheduled route maps and important phone numbers (like to cancel stolen cards) as well as a copy of my insurance cards or event registration information. I have amazed myself at what I can destroy or lose or get wet and make unreadable/unusable.

#150744 - 10/02/08 08:12 PM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: comms]
duckear Offline
Addict

Also,

Consider a USB thumb drive with an encrypted file (such as with True Crypt) with all your important documents.

You can also upload these encrypted files to a web based email account.

#150786 - 10/03/08 04:30 AM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: duckear]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
It might be a good idea to keep your BOB near a properly secured and hidden safe. That way, you can run to the safe to grab your documents, extra cash/coins/gold/whatever, and weapon(s) out of there first. Then, grab your BOB next to the safe, put your stuff in an outside pocket and go. It't not quite as fast as already having everything in the bag, but it can still be pretty quick and it adds a lot more security/safety.

#150795 - 10/03/08 11:02 AM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: comms]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Be very careful with the e-mailing of documents suggestions. Now I know the chances are slim that someone is going to be sitting in the middle intercepting that mail but I do know a lot of people who will sit down at a public pc and look through the cached internet files or temp files to see what they can find. You see any time you hit a web page the images are all cached locally and any time you open a document attachment those are either cached with the images or copied to a system temp location. A lot of places are smart about clearing those on a logoff or a reboot but a lot are not. So when you check your e-mail from public places you could be leaving traces behind.
Also coming from an IT background I knw its not uncommon to see IT people go do a search for *.mp3 or *.jpg on servers to see what they can find. Sometimes its legit to see if someone might have pirated or offensive material on company servers, sometimes its the guy that just got laid off looking to see what he can take with him.
Having been burned myself by Yahoo (caching credit card info allowing it to be stolen) and Hotmail (loosing everything I had stored there) I have backed far away from trusting online services.

#150828 - 10/03/08 07:12 PM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Depends - do you have one already? Or the extra cash to get one?
Its a good second ID, and great for crossing borders -- but if you're not near a border or planning on traveling...then probably not.

#151125 - 10/07/08 03:10 AM Re: Should a passport be part of your BOB? [Re: dweste]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
Keeping your passport around in a BOB is kind of like keeping your social security card in your wallet. You need to get them out for certain activities, but it probably isn't a good idea to store them in a semi-secured where it can be stolen. I like the idea of keeping those documents in a safe in the house and grabbing them as I go out the door if necessry. I used to keep that documentation in a small fire safe that was easy to grab and go. In a gentler time I used to keep the key in the safe so a burgler would see it had no cash or jewels and leave it alone. Now the identitiy theft would be much more lucrative than cash! Now those documents are in a much more hardened location.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 141 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by KenK
46 minutes 1 second ago
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.