Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#147346 - 09/04/08 03:47 AM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Jeff_M]
Redbeard Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA state of confusion
thanks Jeff! all my cooking has been at low altitudes in almost nil wind with a couple different designs. all satisfactory, but i didn't feel i truly gave then a work out...

#150380 - 09/29/08 06:00 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Redbeard]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for the report. Thanks in particular for the Heatsheets report. It's good to know that they live up to their reputation.

Regarding crowds: The relatively few people you encountered sounds really great. My wife and I visited Devil's Postpile National Monument, a very popular area, and it was practically wall-to-wall people.

I think the trick to finding solitude is to go to less popular areas, many of which are just as nice as the popular areas. A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I went on a three day backpack in the San Gorgonio Wilderness here in Southern California. We saw nary a soul. The SGW is about two hours drive from downtown Los Angeles! We went to a remote area following a pretty much abandoned trail. We heard no human/mechanical noise save the (very) occasional overflying aircraft.

Don't get me wrong, the Sierra is very beautiful. By the way, got any pics posted online? smile

Pics of my backpack if you like: http://picasaweb.google.com/jim.barbour/BigTreeCamp/#slideshow

#150386 - 09/29/08 07:05 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Jeff_M]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

My SafeWater Anywhere inline filter did yeoman service between my large zip top Platypus "dirty" water bag and my "clean" water Camelback, using a replacement Camelback plug-in connector. I just scooped up the water, zipped it closed, plugged in the Camelback, strung it up on a tree limb or layed it up on a rock, left the Camelback on the ground, and let it drain. Overall, it was as quick and far easier than pumping. I mourn the closing of this company and the unavailability of this product, and hope they will return. Meantime, anyone know of a good source for a similar inline filter?
Jeff

I have a Prism Medical's TRITON® M2 PORTABLE WATER PURIFIER KIT W/BAGS that I purchased at Brigade Quartermaster about a year ago. For me, it seemed an ideal filter. Though when I received it, I was a little frustrated to find I would have to use Portable-aqua tablets with it (It comes with 2 bottles). It works on gravity instead of a pump which appealed to me and includes dirty and clean water bags. It is also designed to run it straight into a bladder or Platypus. I have it stuffed it into a 6"x6"x2" pouch including the bags. They also sell a version without the bags. I can't say I've used it yet.....

At Bridgade Q, the link is: Triton M2 at Brigade Quartermaster

From there, you can find a link to the company's test reports as well.

#150387 - 09/29/08 07:06 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Jeff_M]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
UPDATE: It was a Gio Enterprises canister and it is NOT currently approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, meaning by NPS regulations, either. It was when I bought it, though. Darn!

What does "not approved" exactly mean?

Are they now against the law to use?

Do people still use them, but the rangers or forestry service would rather you didn’t?

And I would assume they have found that a bear has gotten into one, but I don’t know that it means all bears have found a way into one.

It just seems a pain in the rear to go and have to (by law) buy a new one every few years because a bear someplace has gotten into one.

Actually I would be more concerned about mice getting into my backpacking food then a bear.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#150453 - 09/30/08 04:46 AM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: BobS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BobS
UPDATE: It was a Gio Enterprises canister and it is NOT currently approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, meaning by NPS regulations, either. It was when I bought it, though. Darn!

Do people still use them, but the rangers or forestry service would rather you didn’t?

And I would assume they have found that a bear has gotten into one, but I don’t know that it means all bears have found a way into one.

It just seems a pain in the rear to go and have to (by law) buy a new one every few years because a bear someplace has gotten into one.

Actually I would be more concerned about mice getting into my backpacking food then a bear.
SIBBG require all backpackers to use an approved container for food storage. In some cases, older bear canisters have repeatedly shown that they cannot withstand bears, and those containers are no longer approved. However, there are some allegations that the SIBBG is a bit arbitrary as to which containers they approve and do not. Ursack.com has bitterly complained that they've not been approved even though SIBBG hasn't really given a substantive reason for said lack of approval.

#150454 - 09/30/08 04:49 AM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Thanks for the report. Thanks in particular for the Heatsheets report. It's good to know that they live up to their reputation.

X2! I've been debating on getting one and that's a good enough endorsement to convince me.

#150461 - 09/30/08 11:32 AM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: BobS]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: BobS

...snip

Looks like the SIBBG approved containers are "required" or "recommended" in certain areas of California. When the NPS says "required" I assume that you would be subject to a fine if you are found without one of the approved containers.

http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/foodstoragemap.htm

#150493 - 09/30/08 04:21 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: 7point82]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: 7point82

Looks like the SIBBG approved containers are "required" or "recommended" in certain areas of California. When the NPS says "required" I assume that you would be subject to a fine if you are found without one of the approved containers.
That's the basic idea, although if you were "caught" with a non-approved hard-sided container, I bet they'd cut you some slack. You could always plead ignorance: "You mean it's not approved? But. golly gee, it says "bear proof" right here on the label." smile

On the other hand, do you really want a container that isn't bear proof?

#150494 - 09/30/08 04:26 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Thanks for the briefing....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.