Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#150679 - 10/02/08 03:08 AM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: molawns
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: ironraven
You have a social life, don't you? You have contact with family and friends, right?

No, and no.

I stopped having a social life years ago.

B.S.

Then why do you have 351 posts on this forum? You have contact with other people, whether you can see them face to face, or not. You're not completely alone.

Try going without any contact for a month...out deep in the woods, no computer, no phone, etc.

I bet you'll change your tune, then...if you don't go off the deep end before you make it back.

Some years ago, I lived by myself for the better part of year in a small tent by the river in which the nearest modern conveniences, people and town were approximately six miles around the mountain. The longest I went without any human contact was three weeks and although I was not ready to go off the deep end, I noticed many psychological changes in myself and had a deep need to interact with other people. However once I went and visited in town for a couple of days, I was ready to go back to my solitude but never again did I go for so long without being around any people...I really believe that people need to be with other people if even only for short time frames to help keep their psychological well being in order.

#150695 - 10/02/08 08:57 AM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Oh, I'll agree that weeks with NO human contact (including electronic) WILL make you strange. But 3 days? Like I said, if I', in my usual "stressed out NYer" mode, after 3 days I'm just getting to the point where I'd want to casually see someone. By the end of the week, I'd want someone to talk to for an hour or so

The first 3 days? Probably spend somewhere between 30-35 hours of the 72 asleep, 9 cooking/eating/cleaning up, a much curled up with a good book, the rest, chores etc, and if I had access to the great outdoors (particularly the woods) time on walks/sitting in the woods, just watching/listening
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#150776 - 10/03/08 01:14 AM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: falcon5000]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

when i was working at the Vets Hospital i did a lot of two week solo canoe trips to try and decompress from the stress..
i once went seven days without seeing anyone..thats no canoes far away across the lake..no overflights by the park service..no one on the carrys..at three days it was nice--by day five i was looking around and by day seven i camped at a portage in the hopes of meeting someone--midday day eight i found a lake with people and camped at lunch time just to be around someone---you really do let your mind run to odd stuff wondering if anyone else is out there--

#150815 - 10/03/08 05:34 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
I think one has to take into account that it only took Tom Hanks 3 days to go a little loony in the movie is plot progression. There was only so long the movie would have been able to reamain interesting with him just puttering around the island.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.