Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#150339 - 09/29/08 05:12 AM Unintended product features
Chisel Offline
Veteran

In the other thread about returning unused ammo , some side discussions took place about medicals . Out of respect for those still focused on the original subject, I thought to shift my remarks about products and their unintednded used , and newly disovered properties to a seperate thread.

My main point was that a medical substance shouln't be thrown because we cannot fully understand it potential positive or negative proeperties . So, throwing something may be harmful to fish or birds because we really don't know the effects of these meds on those creatures. And even if we understood what the med was intended for , there are still other features or reactions that may pop up in the future.

I gave an exanple of Aspirin which was used for headaches, then was found out that it was good for the heart.

Bob said

Quote:
I believe it’s good for your heart for the same reason it helps headaches, it thins the blood allowing your blood to flow better. It’s not doing anything different to your heart, it’s original job is the same, (thinning blood) it just happens that your heart benefits from what it always did. It’s not really a valid argument that it’s doing something new to your heart.

Here is my comment:

That is not the point Bob. The point is that reagardless of the mechanism, new uses or misuses will be found or occur. Lets take "thinning of the blood" as an example. If we throw a box of aspirin somewhere and it (somehow) gets in the blood system of someone with excessive bleeding, it may make his/her case worse.

Aspirin was just an example of some product that was thought to do something, then it was found out to be doing something else as well.

Here is another unrelated example.
A good many years ago, I was in college and the professor asked us to try something on our HP-45 calculators (Press shift + #7 + #8 ) and the calculator became a stopwatch. He said that even the manufacturer hasn't intended or realized that this could have been done with the calculator. This feature was discovered AFTER the calculator was marketed and sold.

#150622 - 10/01/08 07:30 PM Re: Unintended product features [Re: Chisel]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Here is another unrelated example.
A good many years ago, I was in college and the professor asked us to try something on our HP-45 calculators (Press shift + #7 + #8 ) and the calculator became a stopwatch. He said that even the manufacturer hasn't intended or realized that this could have been done with the calculator. This feature was discovered AFTER the calculator was marketed and sold.

Actually, HP did realize this feature was avalible in the HP-45. It was programed into the software but required a part to make it accurate. This part was not very reliable and was left out of the final released model... HP changed how the timer was accessed but otherwise left the software as it was and not disclosed this a feature since it wasn't very accurate.

Yes, I am a HP calculator geek... I own 18 at current count.

#150626 - 10/01/08 07:56 PM Re: Unintended product features [Re: Alan_Romania]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:

Suddenly I feel better about the stuff I collect...

-Blast, just ribbing you Alan.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#150644 - 10/01/08 09:58 PM Re: Unintended product features [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’ve used my 17 Remington to open can, does that count for double duty?

I didn’t eat any of the food after opening the can so it may not truly be a double duty kind of thing. But it was fun…

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#150651 - 10/01/08 11:25 PM Re: Unintended product features [Re: Alan_Romania]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
[...snip...

Only 2 - an HP-41 CV that I keep at work, and a 48sx - although the 48sx has a LOT of dead pixels. Got a recomendation for a new calculator?
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#150662 - 10/02/08 12:26 AM Re: Unintended product features [Re: Blast]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Blast, if you only knew wink... my calculator collection was never intentional, I just kept buying new ones.

kc2ixe, I guess it depends on what your needs are. These days, the calculator I use most is a simple 12C since I need a scientific calculator less and less these days. If you need the functions of the 48 series then look at the HP-49 series of calculators, if you just need a scientific calculator and could care less about graphing... then get a HP-35s... look like the original 35's but with current electronics.

Edited by Alan_Romania (10/02/08 12:36 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.