Topic Options
#148614 - 09/12/08 01:01 PM Prepardedness
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Since September is National Prepardedness month
Emergency Essentials is have a "sale"

www.bepreparded.com

I've got the 72 hour MRE kits w/water and the food isn't too bad, Ican say "if" worst comes to worst we won't starve

Mike

#148618 - 09/12/08 01:16 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: kd7fqd]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

That link should be

http://beprepared.com

#148748 - 09/13/08 01:51 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: harstad]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
You're right my bad

Mike

#148761 - 09/13/08 04:52 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: kd7fqd]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
They have a good selection but always price to me.

#148903 - 09/15/08 12:47 AM Re: Prepardedness [Re: kd7fqd]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
On three days' worth of food, remember those stranded after Katrina were there longer than three days. Most people evacuated for Ike, but I'll be interested in how long it takes to get power, water, and gas back on around Galveston.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we won't have warning to evacuate. My worst case scenario is that here on the Peninsula, all the roads will be cut by falling overpasses and evacuation will not be possible. There are always fires after earthquakes, so it's possible devastation in my area will be similar to Katrina's effects on New Orleans. Three days of food won't be enough for us to live on till FEMA can get in here with any relief, if worse comes to worse.

Your mileage will vary, of course, but I'd ask you if three days is really enough in your circumstances, geographically and disaster-wise.

#148912 - 09/15/08 01:54 AM Re: Prepardedness [Re: philip]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Much the same problem here, Philip, and I would expect the same problems. Depending on the I-5 corridor with collapsed overpasses is not a pretty picture.

But three days is better than what most of America has.

Gotta start somewhere. He's HERE, which is a step in the right direction!

Sue

#148915 - 09/15/08 02:18 AM Re: Prepardedness [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Before, during, & after Gustave,,,,FEMA dropped the ball again. Our Lousy-anna governor has publicly stated that he no longer believes anything FEMA tells them until he has sent our National Guard unit(s) to visually confirm that promised supplies are actually enroute.

The State of Louisiana took 7.5 million MRE's out of LANG supplies to feed people. The state contracted for and had delivered the generators, ice, water, food, etc; that FEMA promised but failed to deliver.

FEMA has shown up in Erath, La but I don't know what functions they are performing or if they have brought any supplies in.

A Katrina problem that has not been addressed yet, to my knowledge. FEMA arrives in a disaster stricken area and does not bring the means to support themselves. They pre-empt motel/hotel rooms, kicking paying evacuees out of their rooms.

FEMA needs to enter an area with the campers, equipment, and supplies to sustain themselves, not by grabbing up what little remaining resources that the refugees/evacuees are depending on & utilizing! They need their own self sustaining capability as the military has and uses.

#148922 - 09/15/08 09:27 AM Re: Prepardedness [Re: philip]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: philip
On three days' worth of food, remember those stranded after Katrina were there longer than three days. Most people evacuated for Ike, but I'll be interested in how long it takes to get power, water, and gas back on around Galveston.

Your mileage will vary, of course, but I'd ask you if three days is really enough in your circumstances, geographically and disaster-wise.
Galveston should be weeks, or months, according to the reports I've heard.

IMHO, 3 days is not enough. 7 days better. My "House" supplies are several months worth.

#148929 - 09/15/08 11:53 AM Re: Prepardedness [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: wildman800
. . .A Katrina problem that has not been addressed yet, to my knowledge. FEMA arrives in a disaster stricken area and does not bring the means to support themselves. They pre-empt motel/hotel rooms, kicking paying evacuees out of their rooms.

FEMA needs to enter an area with the campers, equipment, and supplies to sustain themselves, not by grabbing up what little remaining resources that the refugees/evacuees are depending on & utilizing! They need their own self sustaining capability as the military has and uses.
That problem has not been raised AFAIK. At least I've never heard it. Why isn't the news media all over this? Or was this a Katrina problem that has since been resolved?

#148940 - 09/15/08 01:16 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...They need their own self sustaining capability as the military has and uses..."

Yup. But, I suspect that would require more tax dollars than the public will want to spend. Seems to me that FEMA would have to have equipment stockpiled all over the place, some rarely if ever used. Kinda like having another National Guard Armory in every city/town. Maybe the NG could just have extra stuff earmarked for FEMA? Kicking folks out of their rooms stinks...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.